Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2002 7:04:36 PM EDT
Hello!

Has anyone had any experiences with tank bags?  (The bags that are held on to a motorcycle tank via magnets.)  They look like small backpacks.....  Do they stay on well?  Rip easily?

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine had straps.  I wouldn't trust magnets alone.

You do need to worry about dust getting under them, but it's not a big deal.  Keep the tank well waxed.

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hello!

Has anyone had any experiences with tank bags?  (The bags that are held on to a motorcycle tank via magnets.)  They look like small backpacks.....  Do they stay on well?  Rip easily?

Thanks,

Mike

Tank bags are the trunk you wish your 'cycle came with.  If you spend your time commuting or travelling any distance, you will wonder how you you lived without them.  They're like bungee nets in that way.  I like Marsee equipment, but just about any brand works the same, IMHO.  Don't rely solely on magnets to hold them on, I've had my bag rip off ...the tether is insurance against bad centering or "temporary dumba$$" on the user's part.

Usually, though, the magnetic tankbags stay on fine just by themselves.  I've only have one come off on the highway, and probably because I screwed up slapping it on (off-center, flaps folded under, whatever).  Luckily, I remembered the tether.  The bags themselves are usually pretty stout cordura, so I wouldn't worry about rips unless you're carrying unsheathed knives or something  (edited cuz i forgot words)
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Mine had straps.  I wouldn't trust magnets alone.

You do need to worry about dust getting under them, but it's not a big deal.  Keep the tank well waxed.

Yeah, what f4yr said.  I got the whole ratbike thing going, so I didn't even think of that.  Vibration+magnets+semi-sticky-backing=extra waxing and attention on your part.

VERY worth the $$, in any case.

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The old Swiss bike I ride came with a goofy little document holder..After a couple rides over Mingus, I see it's worth. Great place to toss the stuff you'll need frequently, without the hassle of getting into the panniers..I just need to set a tankbag up so it will hold a water bottle, and the 1911A1..
As to magnets, well they might work on this thing, but anything with some top end? I'd want a mechanical hold down of some kind..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I just wear a backpack. Then I won't forget it on the bike, and I can fit a lot more in it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The old Swiss bike I ride<snip>-

What kind?  
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just wear a backpack. Then I won't forget it on the bike, and I can fit a lot more in it.

That's the best for commuting, you're right, absolutely.  However, I've been so pleasantly surprised by remembering my tankbag....even if just to have a place to throw my bungee nets...I make it part of the helmet-gloves-jacket ritual.   I am living testament to the usefulness of timbuk2 messenger bags while biking thru the urban sprawl.  The bicycle messengers give me dirty looks...I think it's cuz I can take a whole lane to myself without cagers daring to bump me out If you know you're going to need to carry stuff, a low-hanging backpack is -superior-.  A tank bag is good for little stuff, or the 1911 you need in a hurry...or the gatorade you got the thirst for...
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Wrcx-One of the Ducati powered "condor" scout bikes..Made in 1976, and imported recently

It's a 350cc popper, but fun nonetheless..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Tank bags are great.  I use a magnetic tank bag from RKA (www.rka-luggage.com).  It stays on without a problem, even at high speeds.  Tank bags are also a great place to keep a concealed handgun, cell phone, wallet, book, etc.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wrcx-One of the Ducati powered "condor" scout bikes..Made in 1976, and imported recently

It's a 350cc popper, but fun nonetheless..

Meplat-

Wow...I looked for Duc "condors"...that's some history you got there!  Plenty of steel to stick a tankbag on, that's for sure.

Was this a one-off import, or is someone doing it in bulk?  I've been impressed by the guy who rides the Royal Einfield around here, and I may need to show him up with something equally history-ridden (heh).

Some brit said that the we only need more than 125cc here in the states 'cuz we have such boring straight  (and dry) roads.

He was Welsh, go figure...
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Wrcx- Oh, there is a guy in Colorado selling em.. "Cold War Remarketing" is the name of his place.. He does the Unimogs, and Pinzgauer trucks, and a bit of com bloc vehicles..

I work on these trucks, and the bike is the shops (I just use it. Frequently..)..My last bike was a 69 Bonnie, so the shift on the right was no problem for me..

I've seen one of the Royal Enfield civvie bikes..Looked neat, and the conversion to a Mikuni carb was very clean..Have'nt seen one of the "military" style bikes though..

As to the Limey and his cc perceptions, well he needs to ride against a 40 mph headwind, no fairing, on one of these.. I was wanting that Triumph back BADLY..(65 MPH, max on the Duc.) I guess he has'nt seen some of the roads around central Arizona either.. About as flat, and straight as a worm in a griddle..

Meplat-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top