Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2002 5:19:44 PM EDT
Looking for a recommendation for a .22 rifle to add to the safe with a few thousand rounds as part of the family preparedness stash.  I have never owned or fired a .22 before.  Any recommendations for a good quality rifle and ammo?  Is there much of a difference in terminal ballistics between HP and solid?

Any thoughts on scopes?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger 10/22. Good deal bought hundred and a half is the going price.
For a bolt action I would look at the Marlin 25N. Its cheap(130 or so) and its easy to maintain and bolt action. Feeds anything, really reliable.
Both can have a scope mounted to it, or use the irons. Although the Marlin iron sights have a little to be desired.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok if you want something cheap that will work, check out the Marlin Model 60. You can beat that thing around, do whatever you want, and it will still shoot a dime at fifty yards. As for scopes, I recomend a Simmons 3-9x32 Deerfield Riflescope. For about $30, it does what you want.

Then if you have more money to put into this project, grab a Ruger 10/22 and 'fix it up' per se. Trash EVERYTHING but the receiver and guts. EVERYTHING. Grab a bull bbl, new scope mounts, definitely a new trigger, and the stock of your choice.

As for ammo, for the purpose of cheap practice use Remington Golden bullets or Winchester Wildcat. For real use, grab CCI Stingers.

.22s are so underrated. Cheap, fun, accurate.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I second the 10/22 on technical merits--it's a fine rifle.  On the other hand, it's produced by Bill "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds" Ruger.

For a comparable rifle (though with nowhere near the amount of aftermarket accessories available) try the Remington 597--as a plus, it's even less expensive.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Good question. Does anyone have an opinion on the AR-7? I would think it would feel this bill perfectly.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a AR-7.
Never use it, I bought it as a camping novelty or a true "beater gun". Hovever, any camping trips include my CCW or if I plan on hunting small game, the AR-7 is my last choice. My ruger mark II is more accurate and reliable.

Another vote for the 10/22. I have had one for about 14 years now. It is super accurate & reliable. I even replaced the barrel on it since I had shot it so much.
I am lucky that I tricked it out with folding stock, light, scope, and flash hider (not in pic) before all the legal BS started. Wish I had bought more 30rnders.
I love that gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't get the Ruger 10/22 if you are getting just 1 gun.  Get a nice bolt gun or a pump.

They always work, will feed anything, no ammo sensitivity.  

I like the old classics: Winchester 62A's, any of the Remington pumps, Ruger 77/22's...leave the auto's alone if you want 100% reliability.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
You can't buy a better .22 for the money than a Marlin. Accuracy is better than a Ruger & the triggers are better too. Model 60 Marlin would be my choice.

As for a scope, Swift makes the best cheap scope.

I own three Marlin .22s & won't part with any of them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The 10/22 is the whip! I feel sorry for guys that are buying their mags now. The folder is the way to go. I've got a Butler Creek. Love it. As far as the knucklehead that said get a bolt gun, don't listen. The 10/22 is a gun that I've never had any trouble with. CCI hollowpoints are my choice. I've got 40,000 rounds or so through mine, and its accuracy is still great. Avoid variable scopes. Get a 4x Tasco, or other cheapo-deluxo scope.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Marlin Glenfield Model 25 .22 LR Bolt Action 8 round clip. Accurate with a good scope or w.out a scope in the hands of a good shooter. Can take a real beating and keep shooting. I've beaten the snot out of our model 25. They're pretty inexpensive but I don't know if Marlin still makes them. This gun is over 12 years old. It's the only .22 LR gun I own. My dad has a Ruger MK .22 Magnum stainless and a Mossberg .22 Magnum so I guess we never needed more than one .22 rifle. Basically get a Marlin. CRC
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a AR-7.
Never use it, I bought it as a camping novelty or a true "beater gun". Hovever, any camping trips include my CCW or if I plan on hunting small game, the AR-7 is my last choice. My ruger mark II is more accurate and reliable.

Another vote for the 10/22. I have had one for about 14 years now. It is super accurate & reliable. I even replaced the barrel on it since I had shot it so much.
I am lucky that I tricked it out with folding stock, light, scope, and flash hider (not in pic) before all the legal BS started. Wish I had bought more 30rnders.
I love that gun.

How did you mount the flashlight on the 10/22?  I have that same exact stock (and love it!)

medcop
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The AR-7 is a fine rifle, but it's not what you're looking for.. Great for stashing in an assembled pack in the car, and in a ruck while camping.. Otherwise, a fish out of water..

Much as I dislike the Ruger 10/22 (Mainly because of who makes it) it is a good rifle..
I bought a Remington 552, and have been very happy with it.. Accessories are nonexistant however, and this is the 10/22's strongest selling point.Get one..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Marlin 60. Loved it! I ran about 100,000 rnds through that before it developed a jamming problem.Very accurate. We used to shoot a hole through cows ears while they grazed for fun. Hey! I was 14 at the time!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#15]
10/22
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#16]
10/22 is the way to go!  You can leave it stock or trick it out with the thousands of after market accessories.  If you do go the route, look a the Volquartsen barrels.  I shot a ten shot group the size of a quarter at 30 meters with the butler creek bipod stock.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I need to post a pic of the 10/22 me and my pop but together: Reinhardt/Fajan thumbhole stock(when they were going out of business-got it for $99) , Volquartsen .920 barrel and custom old man trigger work. Threw on a cheap Tasco TT 4-16x50 scope and it gives his Anchuetz (sp?) Achiever bolt .22 a serious run for the money. All for way less money (way-way less when you consider I won the stock 10/22 at a club benefit raffle).
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#18]

How did you mount the flashlight on the 10/22?  I have that same exact stock (and love it!)

medcop

I just milled a taper at the end of the stock for a mini mag light. It is a compression fit. I mic'ed the mini mag and did a swag at the taper. Just enough room at the end of the Ram-Line folder forearm to fit a mini-mag under the barrel. Did that in HS. I would'nt recommend that, it is el-cheapo. It does serves the purpose for backyard critters. I recommend you buy yourself a under-barrel mount tac-light.

Edited to add that this is the only application that I have found Weaver style scope mounts to be cool. Notice how low profile the scope is, something i wanted in a scoped .22. Nothing more silly than to mount a scope 3" of the reciever on a .22 rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You can't buy a better .22 for the money than a Marlin. Accuracy is better than a Ruger & the triggers are better too. Model 60 Marlin would be my choice.

I agree. My favorite is my Marlin Model 39A lever action.It is a fine lever action with a micro-groove barrel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. My favorite is my Marlin Model 39A lever action.It is a fine lever action with a micro-groove barrel.

As far as lever action .22s.....The BL22 with the fine wood, deep bluing, and trigger that drops with the lever. I always considered that a .22 lever I like to have.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#21]
The Browning BL-22 is a fine 22lr rifle and of course you can shoot shorts, longs and CBs in it too.  Just be careful those CBs make it out the barrel ok.
You can jam it if you don't work the lever smoothly, but that rarely happens.  It is a very short stroke of the lever.  The only downside to this rifle is that the top of the front sight seems about the size of a pinhead when looking from the rear.  You have to have good eyes to pick it up against dark backgrounds.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Ruger 10/22 build it light, but its VERY EASY to drop over 500.00 with out even trying.

Here my latest .22 I zero in at 75 yards and it shoot consistent 2inch groups. While that sounds big think about the distance and cheapo
ammo. Draw back is the weight and the lack of sling mounts, in addition having to bolt each round gets old. One thing you can do is run subsonic ammo(slight pop)and tracer ammo, it wouldn't cycle in my 10/22. I hope this give you some insight, I love this little savage, total cost is 279.00 with a Tasco 2.5-10x42 mil dot, this is a fun gun.

Check out the features,
Features: Blued steel bolt action, heavy target barrel, free-floating and button-rifled, with detachable magazine.
Sights: Drilled and tapped. Scope mounts installed.
Stock: Grey laminate with cut checkering.
Magazine Capacity: 5 rounds.
Weight: 6.5 lbs.
BarrelLength: 21".
Savage Mark LVII!!!

PS you can buy 10 round mags (or is that clips for a .22)
Also this is a great kids gun (bolt action) my 10/22 had a 1 1/2 trigger pull (way to light for children)
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/images/firearmImages/25N.jpg

The Marlin 25n a really nice bolt action Ive had one for years never had any problems I did change the wooden stock on it for a synthethic stock.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#24]
My old man told me many a story of mischief involving him and his Marlin 22 (probably a model 25).  I've had good luck with lots of 22 autoloaders.  The remington has treated me right as has the marlin.  Everyone has a Ruger 10/22 so I think it's probably the way to go.  Stock or pimped out, it's a shooter!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#25]
10/22  
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is one of my favorites, it's an Armi Jager AP74. It digests the Aguila SSS reliably & accurately. Plus it's extremely cool looking!!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ok if you want something cheap that will work, check out the Marlin Model 60. You can beat that thing around, do whatever you want, and it will still shoot a dime at fifty yards. As for scopes, I recomend a Simmons 3-9x32 Deerfield Riflescope. For about $30, it does what you want.

Then if you have more money to put into this project, grab a Ruger 10/22 and 'fix it up' per se. Trash EVERYTHING but the receiver and guts. EVERYTHING. Grab a bull bbl, new scope mounts, definitely a new trigger, and the stock of your choice.

As for ammo, for the purpose of cheap practice use Remington Golden bullets or Winchester Wildcat. For real use, grab CCI Stingers.

.22s are so underrated. Cheap, fun, accurate.

I can't agree more. The Marlin Model 60 is a superb little rifle. It holds quite a few rounds and is only impeded by reloads...but there are sleeves you can get from the Sportsman's Guide that kind of act as speedloaders. The 10/22 is also superb. Both will function flawlessly and I have had them completely filthy and yet they still function. The Ruger will be more expensive and cost a bit more for extra mags, but they are sweet.

I agree with the scope also. That's what I use on both of my .22's (yep, a Marlin and a Ruger) and they are hard to beat. In fact they are so clear and bright it will shock you for the price.

And a bull barrel really isn't even necessary. The trigger on a Ruger leaves something to be desired, but mine is the way it was coming out of the factory and all bullet holes touch at 50 yards from both rifles. That isn't too bad.

As far as ammo, the CCI Stinger has some good velocity. It is a little more expensive but is the most effective .22 LR out there IMHO. If this round is too pricey for you, just go pick up a bunch of 500 rd. Federal 36 gr. HP value packs at Wal-Mart. This is decent ammo and only costs about 8 bucks or something for 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I have shot a lot of .22's over the years. All of the suggestions are good. In recent times, I have found the best one off the rack almost by accident. It is also the least expensive available. Believe it or not, Armscor Model 20. They are $69.00 from CDNN. Heavy duty, accurate, well functioning, but ugly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I would vote on a 10/22. I had a Model 60 and I can't say anything bad against it. I found out that the 10/22 was WAY more supprted by the aftermarket.

And I wanted mags!!!

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#30]
10/22. Check out volquartsen.com for mods (speed bolt, extended mag release) and their THM barrel.

I am also very fond of my Kimber 22 Superamerica. Beautiful and accurate, although the Classic is a lot less money. Like a 22 Mauser.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for all the feedback.  Great to have a lot of experienced people available to ask when you know nothing about a subject.

Looked at the manufacturer web sites and decided on the Marlin 60SSK as first choice and the Ruger K10/22RP as second choice.  I thought the longer barrel on the Marlin was a plus (and its Micro-Groove, must be better right ;-), and I kind of like the idea of the internal mag for simplicity.

How do you reload the Marlin tubular mag?  Push rounds through a side door like a lever action?

I will look at the Simmons and Swift cheap scopes - are these weather resistant scopes?

I might just have to get all gussied up to make a little trip to Wally World tonight to see what they have.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Had a K-Mart moment at Wal-Mart tonight.  The guy at the gun counter was clueless and couldn't find the special order catalog.  Anyone know if they special order Marlins?  Guess I'll try the Supercenter and some gun stores tomorrow.

You would think Wal-Mart would at least have the decency to wait til K-Mart finished closing all their stores in bankruptcy before letting their standards go to heck.

But on the pleasant side I found a Simmons Deerfield 3-9x32 for $22.  Waterproof, fogproof, and shockproof.  That was a lot funner than laying out the $700 odd I paid for my Leupold Vari-X III M3 last year for my Rem 700!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#33]
No brainer - a Ruger 10/22 or two or three.

If you can find one a Feather AT-22.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Definately a Ruger 10/22!!! I sited one in yesterday at the range at 50m and 100m and I was easily putting every shot in the 1 inch x-ring with a little Simmons 3-9x scope. My wife aslo put every one into the same x-ring, she was actually calling out letters on the target that were about 1/2 inch letters at best and was hitting the every time. My 13, 10 and 7 year olds were hitting the little silhoutte swinger targets of the wild boars (about 4inches by 3 inches) at 50m 99% of the time. We have fed the Ruger all types of ammo and it has never jammed ever never ever! We bought a 525rd brick of ammo for it yest for under $10.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#35]
10/22
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the feedback.  Great to have a lot of experienced people available to ask when you know nothing about a subject.

Looked at the manufacturer web sites and decided on the Marlin 60SSK as first choice and the Ruger K10/22RP as second choice.  I thought the longer barrel on the Marlin was a plus (and its Micro-Groove, must be better right ;-), and I kind of like the idea of the internal mag for simplicity.

How do you reload the Marlin tubular mag?  Push rounds through a side door like a lever action?

I will look at the Simmons and Swift cheap scopes - are these weather resistant scopes?

I might just have to get all gussied up to make a little trip to Wally World tonight to see what they have.

You place the rounds in the tubular mag, located under the barrel, I have one of these rifles, you will be pleased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top