Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2002 12:12:37 PM EDT
I have 5000+ rounds on a well kept P220 ya its 15 years old. I love the gun and wanted to play with it so off to the local IPSIC match with the stock mags. No problem but needed more rounds in the gun to complete some stages. Picked up 4, 7+1 from sig $50.00 (ouch) and two aftermarket USA 10 round mags. 4th time using the 10 rounders, the gun would not eject twice in one mag.( NEVER NEVER happened before)Dumped the mag and used a stock mag and it would not eject. The extractor was broken. Its in the shop now, I feel naked its my carry piece. The question is was it just time or was it the mags?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I can see no way for the magazine to be responsible. I would have to say it was the 5,000+ fired rounds that is responsible for the breakage.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't think it would be the mag either but when I have a empty USA 10 rounder in the gun and dry fire it the trigger has a funny feel after it goes half way though the travel. Harder to pull and right before the hammer drops it feel rough. Ok triggers dirt,worn out . Nope, put a Sig 7 rounder or a Sig 7+1 and it feels like normal time after time.Even the gunsmith that works for shooters and looters on base says he has never seen a extractor bust like that before,but they never use after market stuff and they don't have many P220 but the one they do have have a lot of round down range.He was stumped.
I cant see any reason but it was awful funny, years no problem and put in a couple of new after market mags and the trigger feels funny and the extractor busts. The next time I use it.

I am on the fence about the mag. and will not use them any more.

Anybody else using USA 10 rounders have any similar problems.

Thanks for the input and I am heading over to the Handgun Section right now
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Wear and tear.
GG
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually use Mec-Gar and Pro Mags if I buy aftermarket mags. Think I have factory and a Pro Mag or two for my Sig. No problems to speak of.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I love SIGs but have the opportunity to see lots of them in action. The P220s seem to break much more often than other systems. Lots of the springs and other parts seem to have a higher failure rate. No catastrophic failures, but the little stuff does seem to fail every now and then. Out of 15 P220s that probably get 2-3K shot through them a year, we usually see one to three failures, often the decock or hammer springs (I am not an armorer yet so I can't get much more technical than that).

The good news is that if you call SIG, they will send off replacement parts for free. If you can't figure out what is wrong, they will fix it for you in a couple of weeks, tops, or so my experience has been.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#6]
CORRECTION The suspect Mags are not USA mags. They are Pro Mags

The USA mags were for the AR and they sucked bad welds crappy bends.Not worth sending back just through them under the trucks back tires before i left the Blackwater range so nobody would every have to suffer them again.

The 10 rounders are well made the welds are ground clean and the steel is at least as thick as the factory steel mags.
The radius on the feed lip look good and the base plate is solid. The trigger pull and the timing are the only things that point me to question the mags.

I am going to field test it with the Promag 10 rounders and just go ahead and order a couple extra extractors and springs when i pick it up.
The smithy says he couldnt find any other problem with her.
I will update the board if the Mags are a problem after a couple of sessions or at least 500 rounds in the mags

THANKS for the input
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
CORRECTION The suspect Mags are not USA mags. They are Pro Mags

The USA mags were for the AR and they sucked bad welds crappy bends.Not worth sending back just through them under the trucks back tires before i left the Blackwater range so nobody would every have to suffer them again.

The 10 rounders are well made the welds are ground clean and the steel is at least as thick as the factory steel mags.
The radius on the feed lip look good and the base plate is solid. The trigger pull and the timing are the only things that point me to question the mags.

I am going to field test it with the Promag 10 rounders and just go ahead and order a couple extra extractors and springs when i pick it up.
The smithy says he couldnt find any other problem with her.
I will update the board if the Mags are a problem after a couple of sessions or at least 500 rounds in the mags

THANKS for the input

I tried ProMags in my Sigs and my Rugers.  Sent them back.  Caused misfeeds that I have never had with factory mags on either brand.  Nothing good to say about them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
WELL I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE MAJORITY, IT IS WEAR AND TEAR.  ALTHOUGH HAVING WORKED IN THE GUN INDUSTRY FOR YEARS I WILL SAY THAT USING AFTERMARKET MAGS ONLY CAUSES PROBLEMS.  I SCORED A HUGE BUY ON A CLOSE OUT, A FEW HUNDRED GLOCK 22 HI-CAP MAGS, MADE BY USA.  NONE OF THEM WORKED.  THEY WOULDN'T FEED, THEY WOULDN'T ALLOW YOU TO USE THE SLIDE RELEASE, ROUNDS WOULD HANG UP INSIDE THE MAG JAMMING THE FOLLOWERS.  I HAD TO THROW THEM ALL OUT.  SO MUCH FOR CORNERING THE MARKET WITH LOCAL LEO.  NEEDLESS TO SAY I WILL USE NOTHING BUT NEW FACTORY MAGS.  I TOO CARRY A SIG P220 AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.  STICK WITH THE SIGARMS STEEL!
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Well here is a update.

I got my baby back for the shop with a pat on the head from the gunsmith. I keep it well maintained and it showed he said.

I and asked if he found anything else worth replacing.
Recoil spring seemed a little weak, so he put a new one in. I could not tell the differents.
But he has a kid in private school.

Off to the range 100 rounds of full power loads
FMJ 230gr with 5.2gr bullseye.

100 rounds
swc 200gr with 4.8

50 rounds
swc 200gr with 3.3

NO PROBLEMS I used only the new 7+1 Sig stainless steel Mags.
I wanted make sure it is not some defect with the firearm first then i will test it with the aftermarket PROMAGS 10 rounders.

A couple of more trips and that should make it clear the gun is functioning

I read about some SIGs with a problem when the mag from another model in the SIG line is used. It will over insert and do damage. The author did not mention the P200 as one of these.
But there is no other mag that could be used in the SIG line for the P220.
Anybody heard anything similar?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top