Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2002 10:17:42 AM EDT
    Why will a Colt Green Label in fair to excellent condition sell for more than a Colt SP1 in new condition. Are there any differance other than cosmetic. (forearm grips etc...)
    I have an SP1 in new condition that has the standard 20" triangular grips but I also have an extra Colt 16" upper that came from a Green Label gun. With this upper on it, other than serial number and the fact that its a "slab side", I can't tell the differance
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do Colts sell so high period???
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
name

......quality

..............confusion
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Because they are not purple :)
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why will a Colt Green Label in fair to excellent condition sell for more than a Colt SP1 in new condition. Are there any differance other than cosmetic. (forearm grips etc...)

The Green Labels are when Colt began switching over to A2 features.

SP-1s are much more plentiful than Green Label guns. Combine that with the fact that most shooters/collectors prefer the A2 features, AR-15A2 rollmarking, and especially the "Gov't Carbine" and "Gov't Model" versions, and you have a recipe for higher demand, and, consequently higher prices, for most of the Green Label guns.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Because everyone wants a Colt, some say they hate Colt, but that's because they can't afford one
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps the lower reinforcement areas - pivot pin "tongues", receiver extension, "fences".
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't think that the "label" guaranteed you a mag fence and similar reinforcements.  IIRC even later blue label rifles, such as the 6530, can come with a slabside lower.  In fact, I think I've seen some for sale on this board.

With the hodgepodge of combinations that Colt put out, I think each rifle has to stand for itself in terms the smaller details.

Correct me if I'm wrong....  Any Colt experts out there?  Boomer, I thought you fit that description.  Anyone help confirm my information?

BTW, my Colt R6530 has raised mag fence (also reinforced lower), pinned in and removable sear block, front pivot hole drilled for a push pin, and M4 marked upper (I think it's just a 4, but it's in the safe and I'm too lazy on a Friday night to go look at it), and M4 feedramps.  Well, and after I got it it now also has a Colt M4 four position stock.  

Love my Colt!

Unfortunately, as much as I like Colts (mine have been very good to me), if the Krime Bill is not replaced I'll probably buy a Colt or two for investment but my primary rifles would be NIB evil featured Bushies because I want a milspec lower/upper.  It's for similar reasons that I wouldn't buy a new Colt Series 80 1911 -- I don't want the lawyer safety in there.  I don't want to get into the debate, I just don't want them there period.  Of course, when Colt starts making an enhanced version of their Series 70 (the WWII S70's model is too expensive for what it is and doesn't do anything for me) then I'm all over it.

A NIB milspec Colt 1911 for under $500 or an enhanced S70 for $700 -- well, then it's an easy choice.  As it stands, in production 1911's I'd only get a Springfield Armory, and then swap out the cheesy lawyer safety mainspring housing.  Kimber SII?  No way.

Prolly more than you wanted to know, but I was on a roll.  Too lazy to walk to my safe, but perfectly content to sit here, drink beer and type!  

Thank God it's Friday!

EDITED for clarity, typos and to say that I by no means am an expert.  Just a big fan of Colt who wishes they'd make them true to milspec.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top