Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2002 7:28:22 PM EDT
I have a P-12 limited which has been a good pistol so far it has the ambi. safety and the safety on the right side has some slop in it and after looking at it I was able to pull it out a bit and I think if the grips were taken off I pull the safety all the way out. so now what should I do? will the one safety get stuck on?? any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Technically, removal of the grips and pulling the right side safety out is how the safety was designed to come apart for disassembly. One of my para's had a similar problem.

Once the weapon is field stripped, take the grips off. Remove the right side safety lever by pulling it out. Cock the hammer and engage the left safety. Push the left safety up just past it's normal range and wiggle it out (sometimes, if it's really stuck, you can push a pin punch from the opposite side of the frame while wiggling the safety free). once the safety is out look at the rod-like section of the left and right pieces. they have a tongue and groove type interface. put the two pieces together and see if there is a sizable amount of play in the groove. if there is too much you may want to reassemble the gun and send it back for warranty repair. if the amount of free space is barely noticable you can GENTLY tap the two prong section of the safety with a hammer to tighten the groove and make the interface between the two parts stronger(i.e. more difficult to separate). don't go too far or the two parts will not go together at all. take your time and be patient. if you bend too much, hit too hard, or try to correct an over tightening you will substantially increase the chance the part will break and put you in a bad spot.

if this sounds like too much of a chance or you're not a tinkerer at heart, or you're not particularly experienced with the joy of fixing (usually breaking, replacing, breaking again, cursing, etc.) your own stuff i would reccommend you send it to the factory or a gunsmith for the repair.

i'm also not saying this is the only solution but it's the one that worked for me. there are plenty of members here with different ways of fixing different problems. hopefully you'll get two or three solutions from them to choose from.

good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top