Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 5/12/2002 5:16:35 PM EDT
I'm planning on buying a Garand tomorrow. Have all my paperwork for CMP ready so now I come upon a really nice rifle in my favorite shop-LNIB(refurb'ed). Dealer is straight up and honest. He wouldn't screw me intentionally.

??is how to make sure is orig GI; not get screwed,etc? Don't have time to get Scott Duff's book.

Rifle is a Springfield Armory receiver which appears to have milling marks,etc. What should I look for?

I'll almost certainly buy and then maybe also put in for CMP rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:26:17 PM EDT
First, check out the Fulton Armory site for tips on recognizing a "rewelded" receiver. They are still out there.
Dick and Gloria Culver's CSP pages also have a wealth of info regarding Garands, especially the pages called "Lane's tips".
Also, make sure that rifle is a USGI Springfield, not a recently manufactured receiver with a GI parts kit installed. The CSP pages contain a list of GI serial numbers.
I can't imagine that this rifle is cheaper than one from the CMP, but I know the wait is a pain, especially for your first M1. But one thing to keep in mind is that you CAN'T go wrong with a CMP rifle. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 1:01:23 PM EDT
Thanks for the help. I bought it today. Saw an HK93 in same store today-now I want it. Damn, never stops!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:35:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
Thanks for the help. I bought it today. Saw an HK93 in same store today-now I want it. Damn, never stops!

What's he want for the Garand & HK93?
Top Top