Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2002 7:21:57 PM EDT
The StG-58 is the Austrian model of the FN-FAL, and I'm trying to get the cut receiver stub off the end of the barrel. I have taken the gas plug off and removed the gas piston and spring.

The gas nut, the piece that holds the carry handle on and is screwed into the front of the receiver stub above the chamber, is round with longitudinal slots in it. I can't get an adjustable wrench to grab it, and I don't want to jack it up with a pair of channel locks.

Has anyone had any success doing this? Any advice for a total novice at this?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01-assembly.html

-Gloftoe
edited to add, You do have a receiver wrench, dont' you?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Another great source of info is l1a1.com!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
As you probably already read in the Cruffler article, soak it down with penetrating oil, then use a 1/4" round punch and hammer.  It should come off with only a couple of good whacks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As you probably already read in the Cruffler article, soak it down with penetrating oil, then use a 1/4" round punch and hammer.  It should come off with only a couple of good whacks.

4wheelingunner is right on spot with his advice, jarhead...........I'd use a 5/16th punch though

Good luck with your first build!

Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're worried about marring the gas tube nut, there's a spanner wrench available that fits into the slots.  But if the nut is REALLY on there and the penetrating oil doesn't work, you might have to heat it with a torch.  I had one that even heating wouldn't loosen.  Finally had to Dremel a slot on the receiver where the nut screws into to relieve the tension.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Jarhead_22, where did you get the STG58 parts kit? The only people I see that have them these days are M&A Parts and they want $300-$350.

I built two STG58 kits. Well, actually Gunplumber build the for me! he he

Which receiver did you use?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]
mattja: I got my kit about a year ago from boman on the Falfiles. I paid $275 or so, IIRC. I'm putting it on an Imbel receiver.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
mattja: I got my kit about a year ago from boman on the Falfiles. I paid $275 or so, IIRC. I'm putting it on an Imbel receiver.

Sounds like my setup. I used STG58 kits cut down to 16.25" and assembled on Imbel "gear logo" receivers. The finish is black metacol III.

They're both configured like this:

but with the shiny finish like this:

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi Jarhead,

I just had Gunplumber put my pristine Stg58 kit and a DSA type 2 receiver together and refinish the whole kit in Metacol satin black.

WOW.

Do yourself a favor.... have him do it for you, $350 or so later you will be as happy as me.

Also his workbook and video are the last word in FAL home building if you are interested in being a home smith. I have both.

Dram

BTW,

I am so happy with his skills, I have 3 more rifles qued up to head down to AZ for makeovers. One is already there, the other 2 are just needing to be boxed up and off they go.

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am so happy with his skills, I have 3 more rifles qued up to head down to AZ for makeovers. One is already there, the other 2 are just needing to be boxed up and off they go.

Dang, I guess FALs really are as addictive as people say, huh?

Buying the manual and video from Gunplumber is on my "To Do" list.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
mattja: [drool]Sweeeeeeet![/drool]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]
How I got mine off was to use a dremel on the charging handle side. It's the thinnest part of the stub. Carefully cut a slot right over the threads. Keep a close eye on the cutting, if you begin to see different shades you are hitting the threads and should stop. I kept cutting little by little, judging by eye as to how deep I'd gone, when I thought I was almost through I stuck a chisel in the slots of the charging handle cut. A couple of bangs with a hammer on the chisel and it popped. It was still really tight so I gave it a few more whacks and it loosened up so I could unscrew it.

Go over to FALfiles.com, there is a wealth of info over there, like timing the new barrel and headspacing.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top