Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2002 9:37:54 AM EDT
Been shooting a Bushy V-Match A3 with a Leupold on top for some time now. I recently aquired a Bushy A3 Shorty AK upper with the removeable carry handle which I leave attached. Can someone tell me how to read and operate the sight adjustments properly. I know the large flip up aperture is for 0-200 yards and the smaller aperture is for 300 yards on out but I don't yet understand the reference points on the adjustments wheels. Would it be easier to locate a concise publication on the issue...any recomendations on that?

Also, right now after sighting it in on paper with Zero at 25 yards, the rear aperture is well to the right in its position, lets say half way between zero and full right. Could this be from some descrepency in the A3 removeable carry handle or would this be normal?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s slap on the forehead time.

3/8 is  zero for 300yds and 800 yds.
4, 5, 6, all 100 yds.

the detachable carry handle mounts are for backup only.  they may be significantly off with regard to the windage..
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Your detatchable carry handle should have a "z" 2 clicks past 6/3.  This is where the sight should be when you are shooting at 25 meters to sight in.  The numbers represent the meters that the bullet drop should be compensating for. 6/3 is the beginning (300 meters) then 4(00), 5(00) and back to 6/3 again.  Fixed carry handls go to 800 meters (8/3).

the small apeture is for any type of perscision shooting.  You can use this under 300 meters.  The larger apeture will give you a bigger sight picture for quicker target aquisition.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Been shooting a Bushy V-Match A3 with a Leupold on top for some time now. I recently aquired a Bushy A3 Shorty AK upper with the removeable carry handle which I leave attached. Can someone tell me how to read and operate the sight adjustments properly.

Why not read your operators manual (it also has pictures)?

You can download the Military version, or the Bushmaster version here: www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Manual%20Depot.htm

I also recommend visiting here and learning a bit more about zeroing your rifle: communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zeroingmethods.msnw I particularly recommend reading about the Improved BattleSight Zero by LTC Santose (communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw).

the rear aperture is well to the right in its position, lets say half way between zero and full right. Could this be from some descrepency in the A3 removeable carry handle or would this be normal?

Thanks!

This happens from time to time - doesn't matter if its a flattop with removable handle or a fixed handle AR.  Usuall cause is the barrel was not installed properly (improperly torqued).  The sight being to the side is merely cosmetic.  As long as you are hitting the target it does not matter.  If you are really concerned about it you can send the upper to Bushmaster and they will retorque the barrel and send it back (for free).
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I also have found that a 100 yard zero has the same point of impact as the 25 meter battle zero. There was about one inch difference (low at 25 meters) than the 100yard zero that I dialed in on my rifles. Nice to know that the come up's on the A2 sights still were accurate when using the 100 yard zero.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Vinnie
I think I understand that. I can adjust to "Z" at two points, once when the rear sight is lowered all the way and again when it is raised. So my assumption is that when I am at "Z" when it is at its lowest point I should be Zeroed at 25 Yards? If not, which I know i am not, then do I adjust the front sight till I hit zero with the rear set at "Z"?

Once that "Zero" is accomplished with a specific load, than theoretically, raising the sight to "4" should zero me out to 400 yard/meters, then "5" out to 500 yds/mtr, and so on? Am I getting this right? hinking.gif
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to all you guys for pitching in! It all helped. I hit the Maryland AR site and that really got me clued in. I think I'm all over it now! Thanks again!

TD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top