Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2002 9:25:22 PM EDT
Hi,

well hopefully someone with some expereince can help me here. I got a silhouette rifle recently but I want to refinish the stock. Problem is it is a fiberglass, or some kind of composite and was painted white. I want to be able to remove that paint and put something else on it. I have looked at paint strippers and if it was wood there would be no problem, but I have found nothing so far that is safe with composites. I would imagine there is something, folks have to re-finish boats I'd think. SO does anyone have pointers on where to go or a brand of stripper that is safe? Or am I stuck with carefully sanding it down?

Thanks for any help,

whiterabbit_308
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:14:04 PM EDT
I removed the layers of paint from a fiber glass stock I have using a spray "graffiti remover" purchased at my local hardware store. It did absolutely no damage to the fiber glass. I used an old tooth brush and a small copper/brass brush to scrub-it took several applications.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:54:31 PM EDT
You can probably Wipe it well with MPro-7 or brake cleaner to remove all oil, then "sand it down" with some fine steel wool, just enough to remove any gloss and paint over the white..
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:29:52 PM EDT
Uh-oh! Better call Maaco!

Prep it and re-paint it was good advice.
Good Luck.
Flat Black is my favorite 'color'...
Top Top