Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2002 9:25:22 PM EDT
Hi,

well hopefully someone with some expereince can help me here.  I got a silhouette rifle recently but I want to refinish the stock.  Problem is it is a fiberglass, or some kind of composite and was painted white.  I want to be able to remove that paint and put something else on it.  I have looked at paint strippers and if it was wood there would be no problem, but I have found nothing so far that is safe with composites.  I would imagine there is something, folks have to re-finish boats I'd think.  SO does anyone have pointers on where to go or a brand of stripper that is safe?  Or am I stuck with carefully sanding it down?

Thanks for any help,

whiterabbit_308
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I removed the layers of paint from a fiber glass stock I have using a spray "graffiti remover" purchased at my local hardware store. It did absolutely no damage to the fiber glass. I used an old tooth brush and a small copper/brass brush to scrub-it took several applications.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You can probably Wipe it well with MPro-7 or brake cleaner to remove all oil, then "sand it down" with some fine steel wool, just enough to remove any gloss and paint over the white..
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Uh-oh!  Better call Maaco!

Prep it and re-paint it was good advice.
Good Luck.
Flat Black is my favorite 'color'...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top