Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2002 9:21:29 AM EDT
This is from Jouster.  Is it true?  I'm considering a "break" of some sort I do not want to weld anything to my barrel in case this lousy ban does die.  Any suggestions?

www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/m16/m16.pl?read=415
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you attach an A2 to the end of a post-ban, you might have the ATF  wanting to ask you a few questions.

While the Army Tech manual may call the A2 a "brake", I belive the ATF calls it a "flash hider" and is thus, illegal.

You CAN buy a brake that "looks" like and A2. As long as it does not reduce the flash and is larger than the rifle mounted grenade launcher, you are OK.

I'm sure someone else will post if I am wrong, or fill in the blanks!

Av.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
So what if I put on one of Kurts brakes, Wilson or EGW and don't want it welded and pinned?  Can I have the barrel turned and threaded and use say red locktite?  I don't want to have to cut the barrel if I decide to change something or this ban dies and I can install a real FH.  And anyway how would anyone tell if it was silver solder or red loctite. The red stuff is just as tough to undo.  Or should I wait and see?  I hate the look of a plain barrel on an AR
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Loctite is NOT an acceptable way of putting a brake on a post-ban.

Have the brake welded and pinned or just leave it plain.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad is a retired machinist.  He's an old school tool and die man and he says that even if a pin is welded over he could find it and drill it out.  So I would assume(hopefully) that a permanent attachment is reversable in skilled hands?  I'm not about to do something stupid by pissing off the BATF.  Now my next question is which brake?  I don't want an ear-splitter.  The EGW looks nice as well as Kurt's.  Maybe a Wilson?  
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Permanent really doesn mean permanent.  It really means "not easily removed with hand tools" to the ATF.  Welding, pinning, or hi-temp solder, or a combinations thereof suffices, and all are removeable in the hands of a competent gunsmith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top