Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2002 8:16:02 PM EDT
I'm aquiring one of these in trade.

Any owners tips & tricks to know about?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:19:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:I'm aquiring one of these in trade.

Any owners tips & tricks to know about?

No matter who tells you it's OK, I wouldn't fire commercial .308 Winchester in it. Stick to good quality surplus 7.62x51. And invest in a couple of headspace gauges (~$60). A trip to the emergency room will set you back a little more than that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:31:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:34:45 AM EDT
The FR8 is a great little rifle. I've heard all the comments about the ammo, I mostly use surplus because its cheap, but have fired commercial and reloads with no problem. If you like leather slings, a K98 Mauser sling makes a nice sling for this rifle, needs a little modification and a HK snap hook, or your FR8 hook, and a longer stud at the back. As for sight adjustment, I never found a sight tool and made one from one of those cheap little flat bladed screwdrivers by filing a "fork" in the flat that goes over the post. Works fine and was free. I didn't like the straight bolt at first, and my buddy had his bent, but now I'm glad I didn't and he regrets it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:36:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:FR-8s are built on M98-type large-ring Mauser actions, and have no problem with .308. Hundreds of thousands of M98 receivers have been built into .30-06, .270, .308, and other modern US calibers without incident. I would probably avoid Hornady Light Magnums and such, but standard hunting loads and such are just fine.

The great majority of FR-8's will probably never have a problem, but there are a few folks on rec.guns whose opinion I respect who question the heat treatment of the receiver. Better to be safe than sorry... if one insists on loading .308 to the max, better to do it in a rifle that was built for it.

I would also check headspace before handing over the cash. The M98 action is great, but who knows what the previous owner subjected it to?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:28:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:
I would also check headspace before handing over the cash. The M98 action is great, but who knows what the previous owner subjected it to?

The previous owner is a close friend and shooting buddy.

I'm planning to shoot Cavim and Port 7.62Nato in it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:03:10 AM EDT
Top Top