Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 10:35:20 AM EDT
Has anyone used the DPMS slipover flash hider?  I'm curious as to how they look and fit.  Input anyone?

A pic of one on a 14.5" or 16" barrel would be nice!

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Belive it would look somthing like this:

Mike

PS - this is on a 11.5" barreled upper, for legal 16" length, but slip-over should create a similar look ala old XM-177.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pic but I was hoping to see a pic of an actual slipover model if anyone has one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#3]
DPMS site shows cartoon pic of slip-over (which I figured you wouldn't be interested in) and installed it will look like pic I posted, sorry I don't have one, but really think it will look as pictured in my post. Only difference is, on the slip-over the threading is up inside and just back of slots and WILL get you enough length on a 14.5" barrel to be legal but will make your 16" barrel about 1/2" - 5/8" longer.

Mike

Edited post to revise info on 14.5" barrel + slip-over FS. If drawing is to scale than installing of slip-over should result in a total OAL of 16.3".
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
so does it thread onto the barrel or just slip on?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I to have a oly 97 car that I would love to put one of these on it. I would like one that is bored out almost to the end so that it dosn't add that much to lengh and makes it look like it has a shorter barrel. No threads, just set screws to sucure it to the barrel. Does any one know of any one makes them, or where I could get one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Garbo, try Kurt's Kustom Firearms in FL.  He has a forum in the idustry section and this was discussed at length a few months ago.  As a rule, slip over FHs dont work well on Hbars because they have to be so thick to fit over the barrel. That's why you mostly see the 11.5/5.5 set up to keep the right look.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have Bushmaster's 5" slipover FH on my 16" HBAR.  It threads onto the barrel just like any other pre-ban FH.  It looks similar to mr_wilson's pic, except there's about 3 3/8" of exposed barrel between the FH and the front site base.  OD is about an inch.  I've gotten so used to it that "regular" shorties just look funny to me.  Sorry, no digital camera, yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have Bushmaster's 5" slipover FH on my 16" HBAR.  It threads onto the barrel just like any other pre-ban FH.  It looks similar to mr_wilson's pic, except there's about 3 3/8" of exposed barrel between the FH and the front site base.  OD is about an inch.  I've gotten so used to it that "regular" shorties just look funny to me.  Sorry, no digital camera, yet.

I checked BM's website and did not find a "slip over" model.  Do they no longer offer it?   or did i over look it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Try here:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/mmt-0019.asp

Mine is the heavy barrel version, $19.95.  I looked in the BM printed catalog and it's still there, part# 9349SFSH.  Looks like the pic on their website, but the narrow section towards the rear isn't as narrow.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I was looking for the keyword "slipover".  They should maybe elaborate a little more in the description of that item so us dense people will know what they mean. LOL

M4ME2, can you fit a bayonet over that type of FH?  ....just curious

Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I used on on my 16" upper to make it look like a shorty. It worked well. The barrel was the same diameter as a M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
M4ME2, can you fit a bayonet over that type of FH?  ....just curious

Nope, it's too big.  If you like bayos, stick with a regular-type FH on a 20" barrel, or permanently installed on a 14.5" barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top