Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2002 3:45:59 PM EDT
kick serious ass. i got some at teh fun show, what a good time. i have been thining out the blackbirds, sparrows, and ohter nasty little bastages. it says not to shoot them out of a rifle, but i do, and it works great for in my own yard shots. its about right on at 20 feet. silent too. the only problem is i just have 2 boxes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
they are lots of fun I don't know why you cant shoot them out of a rifle?? try the super colbris out of a rifle they are really quiet and pack a little more of a punch. I am tempted too buy a revolver just so I can plink with those rounds and not have too cycle the slide of the pistol. Pick some more up from Naschez they are really cheap, they still might be on sale too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
What are these powderless .22 shells you speak of? I have never heard of these before...Please fill me in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
They are fun, use them for basement practice.

Aguila .22 colibri, 20 gr. no powder !
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What? Does the primer only propel the bullet? What is the effective range of these?
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
they are lots of fun I don't know why you cant shoot them out of a rifle??

because sometimes they dont have quite enough energy to make it out of the barrel, and they get stuck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
but they do have enough ummf to come out of a 10/22 barrel.  They have like a primer mixture and thats all it takes too propel the bullet pretty cool. They are called COLBRIS they are made by a company called aguila or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]

I am tempted too buy a revolver just so I can plink with those rounds and not have too cycle the slide of the pistol.

Same here, but I don't know of any economical 22LR revolvers.  The Ruger KSP-241X lists for $482 and a Taurus M94 lists for $325.  I haven't seen either for less than list.  It looks like someone would make a cheap revolver.  One in 22LR wouldn't have to be that strong.  I've seen the Cabellas 44 caliber black powder revolvers for about $100, so over three times that much for something smaller and weaker is ridiculous.  Besides shooting the powderless shells, I'd also like to be able to keep it loaded with snake/rat shot.  I've killed four snakes in the past year near my house with a shovel, and a 22 revolver would be a definite improvement over the shovel.

I wish it wasn't against the law to convert a bolt-action rifle into a target pistol.  Those Romanian trainers would make an interesting pistol.  A hacksaw, a little cold blue, and some wood work to make a pistol grip, and you could have a nice target pistol.  That is, if it was legal.z
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Rough Rider .22LR pistol, retails for around $100.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend uses these in his kitchen.  Opens the door to his garage and sets targets up on the far side and shoots from the kitchen.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A friend uses these in his kitchen.  Opens the door to his garage and sets targets up on the far side and shoots from the kitchen.  

I do this too... open the door to the garage, stand down the hall and poof! instant range!  They'll kick a pigeon's ass, too... not that I've ever shot a pigeon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#11]
These things are NOT quiet in any .22 pistol I've ever used them in.  Just FYI.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd never shoot a pigeon either...
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Rough Rider .22LR pistol, retails for around $100.

$100?  I saw several of those for sale at a shop near Charlotte, NC for just over $190, and two at a gun show in NC for about $175.  I checked with a local dealer here in SC, and he just about lost his temper with me for asking about something from Heritage.  Those are against the law in South Carolina.  You can go to jail for five years for possession of one, that includes the dealer.  A local pawn shop owner was sentenced to a year in prison (later suspended) for buying one used, and my dealer was very suspicious of me after asking if he carried or could get one.  The state law:

"No licensed retail dealer may hold, store, handle, sell, offer for sale, or otherwise possess in his place of business a pistol or other handgun which has a die-cast, metal alloy frame or receiver which melts at a temperature of less than eight hundred degrees Fahrenheit...A person, including a dealer who violates the provisions of this article is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

No thanks, I prefer my freedom.  Again, it looks like someone could make a decently priced revolver.  $350+ for a Taurus is just too much.z
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a brick of the super colibri. It shoots about six inches low at 25 yds out of a 5" barrel revolver and about 2.5 feet low out of a 20" match grade barrel at 25 yds. I could actually watch the bullet fly down range out of my heavy barreled 10/22. I use them for pest removal when a rifle would be suspicios but anything louder than a 22 would attract too much attention.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a Henry lever action rifle just for these and they work great, just got ahold of the super colibri and man they hotter than the regular, I to am also looking for a low price revolver to shoot them in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#16]
www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire.htm

If you want to shoot indoors, make yourself a target holder/ bullet stop - www.babymd.net/aa.htm

His design with the electrician's duct seal will stop Colibris (and some standard .22LR) as long as your backboard is heavy - 1/2" hardwood or thicker goodgrad plywood.

To be on the safe side, ventilate to the outdoors to remove possible airborne lead contaminants.

Really thick phone books (or U.S.Army manuals) work effectively too, you just need a secure way to hold them up.

Colibris ARE fun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Hmmm...I didn't know Rough Riders were illegal...how about that...they will actually melt? @ less than 800 degrees?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top