Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 8:14:59 PM EDT
I know, EEEWWWWWW!  My buddy wants to buy a 1911 style .45 auto and found a Llama full size at a local shop.  I think he should spend a couple extra dollars and get the RIA.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know, EEEWWWWWW!  

What you said.  What else can you say?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Llama=Ggarbage
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#5]
20+ years ago, my first new handgun purchase was a Llama in 38 super. To get it to run I replaced all the guts with Wilson and other US parts (springs, pins, trigger, hammer, sear, disconnector, slide stop and mag release). Once you do that, they work fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
20+ years ago, my first new handgun purchase was a Llama in 38 super. To get it to run I replaced all the guts with Wilson and other US parts (springs, pins, trigger, hammer, sear, disconnector, slide stop and mag release). Once you do that, they work fine.

Sheesh.  This is where the cliche about a silk purse from a sow's ear came from.  Alternatively, "after I replaced all the parts in my Yugo with aftermarket stuff, it worked well."

Friends don't let friends buy Llama.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
The biggest problem I had with Llama autos was their method of brazing the recoil lug of the slide, rather than making it an integral part of the forging. For occasional use, fine.. Shoot it a LOT, and I have seen the braze let go..

Their later stuff (Max 45) seems to be fine for carry lots/shoot little, but I'm not shelving the Colt anytime soon for one..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Llama full size .45... it was a good shooter... my first handgun.  It was great until the extractor broke.  It's not a drop in style, like a normal 1911, it's the kind that pivots on a pin and is inserted on the side of the slide.  Three trips to the gunsmith, and it broke again.  Sold it at a show for $100.

Now I have a Springfield Stainless Loaded 1911A1 Target... one damn sweet pistol.  The Llama will be OK for an informal plinker.  Anything more serious like target shooting and self defense, your buddy should save up a little more and get something a little better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top