Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2002 12:18:25 AM EDT
....How many people are going to be pissed that their preban collection just went down in value by thousands?  Regardless of whether your opinion is that the ban goes away or not, what is your opinion on devaluation and whether there are those of the shooting community who DON'T want the ban to go away for this very reason?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 12:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
As stated in many other posts,the AW ban WILL go away,the question is if another ban of the likes will replace it.As far as my thoughts on the price of prebans goign down really doesnt effect me becuase I dont own any,I just own Post ban. But when the ban does go away I will put all the evil features that is possible to have on it!
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think that anyone who calls themselves a true gun enthusiast would be pissed at this going away, regardless of what it does to the perceived value of their collection.  As to those who bought their guns as in investment, well... IMHO they weren't too bright.  You want to invest money?  Go get a CD or something.  You want to shoot?  Go buy a gun.

Rocko
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got agree with Rocko on this.
I have a lot of money in magazines, but I bought after the ban. (Doh!)

I won't cry at all if my $90 Glock mags are suddenly worth $20.
If you want to buy guns as an investment, maybe pay the tax and invest in full-auto.
Any investing in weapons is risky though, as a stroke of the pen could make your investments worthless, and within 90 days, make you a criminal.

No,I wouldn't consider weapons as investments, unless maybe short-term investments.
Then, I guess all investing is kind of like a roll of the dice.
(Edited because I have apparently lost the ability to spell and type.)
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe your prebans will be worth less, but your 10 round mags will be worth a fortune.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I won't be pissed off in the least. Truth be told, I'll be happy when the ban sunsets and there's nothing to extend or replace it. I'd rather everyone be able to enjoy affordable flash suppressors, collapsable stocks, bayo lugs, mags, etc., than keep an "investment" that I will never cash in anyhow.

I had two of my "pre-bans" before there was any such thing as a ban. The other two I bought simply because I happened to be at the right place at the right time and scored some great deals. Basically picked up a couple of pre-ban Colts for not much more than a couple of post-bans would cost. But I didn't purchase them as investments or with the idea of ever turning them for a profit. I view them more as insurance to be able to do with them as I please rather than live with the restrictions of a post-ban weapon should the ban be extended in one way or another. So in that regard, I won't view any devaluation of my pre-bans with any more disdain or contempt than I do all the thousands of dollars I have paid for various forms of insurance over the years but have never used or received any benefit from.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, no.  That just means I will be able to buy more goodies in the future for less money.

But even if the AW ban does go away, I'll still be unhappy, because the import ban will still be in place.  Cheap ARs are nice, but cheap HKs, Steyrs, Sigs, etc. would be a lot nicer...
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not be upset...I would just be glad I could get the evil features and high cap mags again.  

I do think that certain firearms are for collecting and certain ones are for shooting.  Investment?  Well, like mentioned above they could be worth nothing with a stroke of the pen...or worse...you could be a felon with the same stroke.

medcop
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't think that anyone who calls themselves a true gun enthusiast would be pissed at this going away, regardless of what it does to the perceived value of their collection.  As to those who bought their guns as in investment, well... IMHO they weren't too bright.  You want to invest money?  Go get a CD or something.  You want to shoot?  Go buy a gun.

Rocko

Damn straight rocko!  I only have one pre-ban and don't give a damn what happens to the value if it means I can have lote of new ones just like it.  I'm just a little worried about it becoming a pre-pre-ban
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#9]
If the law is not going to be renewed The first thing I am doing is put a telestock on my AR-15. I dont care if I have a 20 inch H-bar I still am going to do it. I hope to have a second AR-15 in the next year. Hopefully it will be a carbine and I could put a real tele stock on That. I have always wanted an AR-15 with the telestock.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
*feels like a dumbass*  ummm whats AW? and if it goes away that means the postban goes away which means we can buy postban stuff like muzzle brakes and bursts and buy postban mags? and have barrels underneath 16" with out any attachment to make it 16"?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
i wouldnt care firearms make crappy investments anyway. one law and your f*cked
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, if it makes you guys feel any better, if there is no renewal of the federal AW ban residents of New York will still be limited to pre-9/94 high capacity mags and evil sport utility rifles.  You won’t completely lose your investments because I for one will still have to deal with pre/post 94 BS.  Despite having little benefit to me living in New York, I still sincerely hope most of the rest of you people can put the “pre-ban vs. post-ban” thought out of your minds in 2005.  I just hope you remember your buds in New York and sell us some of the pre-9/94 stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought my pre-ban as a permanent investment, so I will be overjoyed if the ban sunsets and my weapons and mags drop in value.  

BMANSAR15 brings up an interesting point.  If the AW ban does sunset, then we can assume that mags will no longer be stamped with a date or with some disclaimer that it is for military or LEOs.  What's to keep New Yorkers and others living in states that have similar bans from buying new hi-cap mags that have no stamp?  Since most of the mags manufactured before 9/94 have no date stampings, who's to say that your new unstamped mag is not a pre-94 mag?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
....How many people are going to be pissed that their preban collection just went down in value by thousands?  Regardless of whether your opinion is that the ban goes away or not, what is your opinion on devaluation and whether there are those of the shooting community who DON'T want the ban to go away for this very reason?

Put it this way if you could pay the price of a pre bam weapon or two in order to get back your full rights would you,I would.

Anybody on this site that would sale rights for money  are scum bags and need to be shot.

I like money as much as the next guy but it's in no way a even trade.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure some one is really going to loose much money unless he has several rifles. I htink the price diff between pre and post is getting thinner.  So far I'm not into my Colt preban much more than what a postban is selling for.  Ive got $1355 in my Colt M4gery which is probably $300 more than a factory BM M4 after you add the M4 handguards and flip up rear sights. Now, that might not be real typical, but have seen Colt SP1s and some other brand AR15s go from $1000 to $1200 which is oly about $200 to $300 more than a post ban would cost. Special editions or limited out of production rifles should keep their value (Colt Govt Carbines/AR15A3 Tacticals, ect.)  I look at it this way: I have the rifle with the features I like.  If the AW ban goes away, great, my future purchases will be less expensive. If not, no sweat, I will still buy what I want.  Maybe the guys who bought prebans only for potential investment or to make the quick buck will take a hit but us regular firearms enthusiasts will come out ahead.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Not only would pre-ban rifles and accessories go down in value, but so would post-ban stuff.  Why would anyone want any of that stuff when they can have a new "pre-ban style" rifle for the same or slightly more price?  About the only thing that would go up in value would be items stamped Law Enforcement.  With no ban anyone could buy them, and with no more production of them they would increase.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Rocko

I agree. I could care less if my pre-ban collection suddenly becomes worthless. If I can buy more, and not live in fear of them breaking or being stolen and never replaced, it'll be worth it! Also, there's just plain 'ol principle involved here!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I paid postban price for my preban gun, so it doesn't affect me.   If I owned 10 prebans that I paid a few grand a piece for, I would still be happy though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:04:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey I got a bunch o` prebans and I sure as he11 want that stupid law to go away.Why anyone who is into guns and says they would be pist that the value dropped because the ban stopped should get their head checked chum.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#20]
i will lose alot of value, but i dont plan on selling anyhow. new production mags would be nice.

BUT comon guys, we cant spend too much time dreaming
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought mine before the ban and they will be in my hands when I die, so I will not worry!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
....How many people are going to be pissed that their preban collection just went down in value by thousands?  ....?

ASk the Class III community the same question and almost all of them will tell you that they would love for the '86 ban, among others, to be lifted even though most would loose 10's of thousands of dollars. I would suspect most people would like for the '94 AW ban to go away because it really is just stupid and accomplishes nothing in a practical sense.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Glad to see this is everyones opinion, which I thought it would be.  I for one wouldn't be upset.  I just spent 1000 on an SP1, but even if it were 4000, I'd say money well spent, and be happy I could buy new rifles with evil features...lol.  I don't know...I don't see it not being replaced with something worse.  I figure about 2 weeks before it is supposed to sunset, we will see a terrible public massacre with an AR15.  Wow, that will be a coincedence.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
*feels like a dumbass*  ummm whats AW? and if it goes away that means the postban goes away which means we can buy postban stuff like muzzle brakes and bursts and buy postban mags? and have barrels underneath 16" with out any attachment to make it 16"?

Wow, some mixed questions!  "AW" is a quickie way to refer to the '94 Assault Weapon ban, which is supposed to sunset in ten years, i.e. 2004, if congress does not renew it.  The ban itself would "go away" so there would be no distinction between pre- & post-ban stuff.  Muzzle brakes have always been legal, you can buy them now.  Flash hiders are presently banned on post-ban rifles, as are telescoping stocks, bayonet lugs, etc.  If the ban went away, that stuff would be legal again on new rifles.

Confused?  Me too.

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#25]
This doesn't bother me in the least.

I'll never sell my rifles anyway. That would be like selling a child. Hell, they've got names too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#26]
hell, on the flip side, i will likley build a few posty kit guns, so when the replacing ban includes ability to accept hicap mags, i will have sevaral pre 2004 ban ARs with the "EVIL" double stack mag.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#27]
im just stocking up on lowers for when the 2k4 ban goes into effect if not hey ill have more ars :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll immediately put a genuine USGI A2 upper on each of my official Caliban-registered legal post-ban lowers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top