Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
People who don't like Glocks always try to site the KBs they have heard of to back up the reason why they don't like Glocks. This is a misguided opinion because they don't mention the fact that ALL guns have KBs. Glock just happens to sell more guns and have a much larger customer base who are around to report these problems in our forums. Usually these KBs occur with people who do not follow the instructions plainly printed in their owners manual. Do not shoot lead, do not shoot re-loads. Usually its some fool who reloaded his .40 way past safety standards and then wonders why his Glock blew up.

Usually those who talk against Glock are hard core 1911 fans, who will just as easily argue that .45 is much better than 10mm.

I have a 20 (10mm) 30 (.45) and a 1991A1. If I had to go into battle with one of them it would be a Glock in 10mm.

Depending on you hand size I would not recommend the 19 unless you will be using it for CCW. Get the full size 17 instead.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about purchaseing a glock 19 soon (460$ at local gun store) , I don't really know much about them except the lower stuff is hard plastic. Are these guns as durable as any other normal auto pistol? Are they easy to clean and take care of?
Thanks guys

Many years ago I rented one from the indoor range.  This was the first one I ever handled or fired.  This gun was unreliable and slam-fired on me when I was reloading after clearing the latest malfunction.  Since then, however, I have fired and seen others fire lots of Glocks and respect their reliability and durability.

I still prefer other pistols because I do not care for the ergonomics or the trigger and prefer having a safety.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
... I have a G27 and it's nice to hide in my front jeans pocket, but I really don't like 'em.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I love the older models without the finger grooves.  These feel great in the hand.  These are all I'll buy from now on, I wish they still made them like that.  I have a G23 and a G30 that just don't fit my fingers, and these two are also hard on my hands... the "beavertail" frame tang beats me up pretty badly with standard loads.  I have also noticed that the G23's trigger guard seems narrower than the older Glocks... after about 50 rounds my trigger finger is rubbed raw from the edge of the trigger guard.

I should probably send them off for a grip reduction, but every one of those I've ever seen looks like the dog used it for a chew toy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Who likes Jello?
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Usually these KBs occur with people who do not follow the instructions plainly printed in their owners manual. Do not shoot lead, do not shoot re-loads. Usually its some fool who reloaded his .40 way past safety standards and then wonders why his Glock blew up.

Speaking just for myself, if I can't shoot reloads in it, I won't have it.  

The problem with Glock KB's doesn't seem to be a bunch of idiots double-charging their .40 cases.  It is much more probable that the cases are weakened by repeated resizings, which make them more likely to blow out of the Glock's relatively unsupported chamber.

Another significant factor that's thought to be a major cause of KB's is the Glock's tendency to fire out of battery.  This cannot be attributed to ammunition deficiencies.  Dean Speir proposes that lead-build up in the chamber may cause a case to short-chamber, unbeknownst to the shooter, who then proceeds to experience an out-of-battery discharge and, likely, a KB.  So this is why you shouldn't shoot lead.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Get yourself a couple of factory pre-bans, but don't overlook the aftermarket Promags as well.  I'm really going against the grain here, but Promags can be made to work very well with new Wolff springs, though I must admit the two Promags I have, after breaking them in, worked suprisingly well with no modification.

same here, i had to break mine in, but my aftermarket pro-mags work as well as my factory hi-caps, after "breaking in"  had a few hiccups at first, but now they function flawlessly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I currently own HK, Sig, and Beretta pistols. Have fired them all extensively, but the pistol I trust my life to is my Glock 27......There's no better testimony from an owner than one willing to place his life in the hands of a Glock............
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#9]

I was dragged, kicking and screaming, but finally acknowledged that the Glock is THE handgun for self defense use.

It is ugly, has a poor trigger, marginal accuracy, and lacks great ergonomics. However it's combination of low weight, reliability, simplicity, longevity, and capacity are better than any handgun available.

I own 15 handguns in many makes, models, and calibers.  I carry a G19.

Great choice, go for it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]
One day at the range I guy offered me to shoot his Glock 21, after shooting the last 3 rounds in the mag he offered to reload the mag and let me shoot it again. I said no and then commenced to shoot my Sig 220, OH what A difference. I am not knocking Glocks, I just didn't like the way the gun felt when I picked it up and after a few shots I knew the pistol wasn't to for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Another significant factor that's thought to be a major cause of KB's is the Glock's tendency to fire out of battery.  This cannot be attributed to ammunition deficiencies.  Dean Speir proposes that lead-build up in the chamber may cause a case to short-chamber, unbeknownst to the shooter, who then proceeds to experience an out-of-battery discharge and, likely, a KB.  So this is why you shouldn't shoot lead.

I'm not doubting your assertion here, but can you provide a cite?  I'm not sure it's even possible for a glock to fire out of battery.

Actually, I just tested it, and got the striker to fire, and leave a dimple on a fired case, with the slide approx 1/32" out of battery.  The slide did "push" forward as I pulled the trigger, so I'm not sure whether or not it would have been out of battery with a live round in there, but the mechanism itself seems to function.

Interesting.

Once again, can you provide a link or something?  I'd really like to read about this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about purchaseing a glock 19 soon (460$ at local gun store) , I don't really know much about them except the lower stuff is hard plastic. Are these guns as durable as any other normal auto pistol? Are they easy to clean and take care of?
Thanks guys

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THE HANDGUNS FORUMS?
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
As stated before, you either love 'em or hate 'em.  I love my 19 and 20 (although I'd like to give a 29 a test drive too).

Follow the directions, don't do what they say not to do, and keep it REASONABLY clean (every 1,000 - 2,000 rounds should be enough LOL) and it will do it's job as well or better than it's competitors.

I shoot my 19 better than any other pistol I've ever fired (clay pigeons, stationary, at 25 yds, weaver stance = toast).  The trigger does take some getting used to, but is very consistant and predictable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not doubting your assertion here, but can you provide a cite?  I'm not sure it's even possible for a glock to fire out of battery.

Actually, I just tested it, and got the striker to fire, and leave a dimple on a fired case, with the slide approx 1/32" out of battery.  The slide did "push" forward as I pulled the trigger, so I'm not sure whether or not it would have been out of battery with a live round in there, but the mechanism itself seems to function.

Interesting.

Once again, can you provide a link or something?  I'd really like to read about this.

communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-glock-kb.html  

More than you ever wanted to know, brought to you by the one and only "solid-gold, chain-driven, four-barrelled asshole" of the gun writing world, Dean Speir.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry a G27, and like it (reliable, light, safe, blah blah blah).

Main reason I like it is because it points like a 1911 (same as the Kahr MK40, my alternate carry piece). Only the baby Glocks do this, because the fat part of my hand sits below the backstrap... G19/23 and larger models point high for me and so I won't carry them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess you know what I think

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My .02 . . . My dept. just switched from S&W's to Glocks - first impressions from firing and overall reputation is that Glocks are great as far as functionality, reliability, and durability go.  However, I feel that any benefit in recoil compensation achieved by the "C" ported models is outweighed by the night vision impairment resulting from the ports.  They produce a significant flash in the dark.  Also, for some reason the Glocks just don't "point" or "heft" for me like some of my other, preferred handguns.  Personal preferences, I suppose . . .
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for your help everyone. I got a dumb question. Glocks have intergeral hammers correct? How do you de-cock them? I thought dry-firing a gun was bad for it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks for your help everyone. I got a dumb question. Glocks have intergeral hammers correct? How do you de-cock them? I thought dry-firing a gun was bad for it?

Thanks

Glocks have integral hammers and there isn't anyway to decock them with pulling the trigger. Dry firing a Glock doesn't seem to bother it. Haven't had any problems in 6 years.
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
If you decide to get a glock, DON'T try to cook it!!!!

As for me, I'm a 1911 kinda guy. If the glock trigger was SA, I'd probably get one, due to their light weight, but until then, I'll stick with my WC CQB.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Double post.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I do not especially like how Glocks sit in the hand, but they are reliable and excellent defensive weapons.

The G19 is good for CCW.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been a diehard SIG fan all my life, but I finally gave in to the "tactical tupperware".  I shoot IDPA, and the simple fact is, the G34 is the fastest handgun out there.  I have found that shooting the Glock well takes a certain ammount of dedication.  It doesn't have the feel my P226, or P229 did.  Buy the Glock; install the 3.5lb connector, a lighting strike Ti striker, a glockworks 4.0lb RP striker spring, and a glockworks RP firing pin safety spring.  What you will have is a reliable, accurate pistol with a trigger that will rival most 1911's.

Speed and Accuracy
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a 19 for a carry gun, small, high cap easy to take care of. Glock triggers are pretty horrible though. I'd try to shoot one before you buy one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#25]
They don't fit my hand at all and point way low.  I prefer the HK USP.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top