Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2002 5:48:49 PM EDT
Hey guys, thanks for all the help you gave me in the process of getting this.  I just shot it some.  It's a lot different from anything else I've ever shot.  Hearing that spring moving around right by your ear is kinda wierd though.  Are you supposed to lube or grease that at all in there??  Would that cut down on the noise??  I was playing around with it, taking corners in my house.  I can definatley say I'm going to be buying an actual collapible stock if that sunset thing ever happens.  It's a little long for that sort of thing.  And it's a little long for when you have the smaller site aperature up.  I have to push my head too far forward.  I think I'll be buying a new trigger.  Should I get the Bushmaster or the Rock River?  What are your thoughts???  I'll have pics posted soon.  I'm getting a scanner on Sat.  Good Night
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats, just got my first AR a month back.  I got the 20" Model Bushmaster.

My spring makes the same noise, I think it's normal.

Only quirk I've found so far is it doesn't feed PMC ammo very well, jamming about every 3-4th round, but another guy posted here with the same problem, claiming they use softer brass and it gunks up the feed ramps.  Have had good luck with American Eagle and Federal XM-193, but it does seem a bit finickier than my AK or M1A, have had a couple weird feeding incidents so far...

I did replace the front A2 sight with a .052" match front sight from the Bushmaster catalog, as the stock A2 sight looks like a telephone pole in the way at 100 yards.  Definitely a fun gun to fiddle with, so easy to take apart and put back together...
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'll probably be getting a match front site too.  I agree about the setup of the AR.  Pure genious!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I see you are already on the accesory road, next will come uppers, optics, and all the things you have to have.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Double stage triggers aren't the best thing for tactical shooting.  I have 3 bushies and I guess I'm just used to the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Get this!  Some guy just said that Bushmaster recommend only cleaning the barrel every 3-4000 rounds!  HUH???  Anything different about cleaning a chrome lined bore I should know?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
According to Bushmaster, in reference to their chrome lined barrels, clean it with Breakfree and maybe once a year use a copper solvent like Shooter's choice.  I've tried BreakFree and does a decent job.

My procedure is to run a soaked patch thru the barrel 10 times, do this twice, soak a copper brush and run this 10 times thru the barrel, 10 times with a soaked patch.  Follow this up with 4 dry patches.  Repeat the whole process twice and check the barrel.  Should be shiny.  It works well with BreakFree or Shooter's Choice.

Spambo
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on you new purchase!

All ARs make that spring noise - its especially noticable if you wear earmuffs (as opposed to wearing ear-plugs).  Grease on the spring WILL help - but I don't advise it as grease also atracts dirt.

Yes the spring should be lubed (with CLP).  Right now I recommend you do the following
GO to www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Manual%20Depot.htm
and download the -10 "M16A2/M4 Operators Manual" AND READ IT as it covers operation, cleaning and lubrication.  Then download the -23&P "M16A2/M4 Maintenance" so you have a reference for doing work on your rifle.

Your first purchases should be a decent cleaning Kit (like the OTIS or even a USGI kit), and get some Break Free CLP.  Also you will want some USGI magazines (20 or 30 rounds).  Skip steel magazines and even the plastic ones (unless you get a good deal on 30 round Thermolds).  Skip any magazine made by USA. (you could read the Magazine FAQ in the Magazine forum for more details).

As for a trigger - if you really want a better trigger then go with the Rock River Arms (but use your current trigger and hammer pins - not the oversized ones that come with the trigger kit).  I don't like the Bushmaster trigger as it uses set-screws.

Proper sight picture is for your nose to just about be touching the charging handle.  Its tougher to do with the A2 stock and the fake telestocks - much easier with the older A1 stocks.  For more info while you are at the above site download FM23-9 "M16 Marksmanship Manual"; read the first 4 chapters and appendix G.

Don't forget to come pay us a visit at communities.msn.com/TheMaryland AR15ShootersSite
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I also bought my first AR last weekend. Got a Bushmaster Shorty Carbine 16" with the a-3 top. Must go shooting this weekend! After the barrel has been cleaned should I leave alittle CLP in the barrel or keep it dry till I shoot it again?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...Hearing that spring moving around right by your ear is kinda wierd though...

Congrats. You are now one of us. Resistance is futile... And the accessory black hole is starting to open.

Sound of the buffer spring is normal. Imagine how weird it is in at full auto. A light could of CLP isn't a bad idea but it'll still make the noise.

How much modification you want to do depends upon what you intend for this rifle. As you said you were

playing around with it, taking corners in my house.

suggests that you're looking at it as a CQB weapon. Smaller sight and match trigger are probably not necessary for that mission.

For a true CQB weapon you'll want to consider a red dot scope for faster target acquisition. It also makes it easier to keep both eyes open (which you'll want to do in a CQB situation). And with a red dot, your sights don't even matter.
You don't want a really light trigger on a battle rifle for reasons that are pretty self-evident.

Proper shooting position is with a good cheek weld with nose to charging handle. This is a repeatable position that should give you a good sight picture (or red dot picture).

Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]
CQB isn't gonna be my main focus.  I just think it would be a nice option.  I mostly bought it for target shooting and for coyote hunting.  Thanks for the website with the manuals!!!  
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
i love my bushy m4...but after shooting it, i don't think i can have kids anymore...the shockwave also shook loose the pleghm in my chest...i'm gonna get rid of the mini-y comp AKA the loudest damn break in the world....beware the compensator.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#12]
welcome to the black rifle cult my friend, please ignore the following subliminal message.

(magazines,accessories,magazines,accessories,magazines,accessories)

it WILL become an obsession.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top