Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2002 4:16:19 PM EDT
I am going to buy a Springfield Standard M1A next week, and was wondering which is the better stock to get it in, Walnut or fiberglass? I realize the walnut is a little more expensive but besides that, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks
Josh223
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, Walnut stocks look better, and are also more authentic.  However, over time, and much repeated cycling/firing, the tolerances between the action and stock loosen a bit.  Fiberglass stocks are weatherproof and very durable.  I bought my M1A with a set of black fiberglass stocks on it, but later bought a set of walnut stocks that I have for presentation purposes.  Although the M1A is meant to wear its genuine, original walnut stocks, I admit that I think it looks pretty cool with the black fiberglass ones, too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The Walnut does look more traditional, but I opted for the Fiberglass Real Tree camo Standard Model they've been offering for the last few months, which is just the brown GI fiberglass stock with a decent Realtree camo job.

The black fiberglass stocks Springfield Armory makes have a soft rubber buttplate, unlike the GI fiberglass, which is just metal.  I bruise up everytime I shoot the GI stock, so the rubber is a nice plus, but I'm not sure if the SA fiberglass model has the trapdoor for the cleaning kit in the buttstock.

I say if you want a traditional look, go for wood, but if function is more important, go for fiberglass.

One final note, I got the muzzlebreak model and it is LOUD, if you have a choice, I'd recommend the traditional flashhider model instead.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ed P, where in the PRM are you, east, central, or West?  I'm from Cambridge, but have since re-located (how I escaped unscathed and as conservative as I am is a miracle beyond comprehension.)

BTW, the SA fiberglass with rubber butt plate does not have the trapdoor.  And as Ed P stated, definitely the better of the two choices if ruggedness and fuctionality is what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
cnc,

I'm from Westford, but grew up in Westminster, central Ma.  Fortunately both towns had gun friendly police chiefs, but I'm thinking more about NH or Maine if I decide to move for work reasons at some point in the future.

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
In field conditions, the wood warps and expands. Fiberglass is cheaper and maintains a zero better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
GI fiberglass stocks (Springfield Inc.'s fiberglass stocks are GI I believe, just repainted) are entirely authentic.  They replaced the Walnut in service for their greater durability and weatherproofness.

However, for match or sniper use, the G.I. fiberglass doesn't cut it.  The fore end flexes too much under sling pressure.  For that sort of use you want either a glass bedded, polyurethane finished laminated stock or preferably, a McMillan fiberglass stock (also bedded).

For hunting and other casual use, the GI Fiberglass stocks as prepped by Springfield Inc. are an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
when I got my M1A, I do believe that wood was the only option.... anyway, I took the beautiful wood one off and replaced it with a USGI Fiberglass from FRED's.  Still an excellent shooter and very durable.  I can always switch back to the wood whenever I desire or want to sell it... NOT!  lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with the Gi fiberglass to avoid possible warpage. I painted it with Duplicolor "Ford Truck Brown" (the large can). Once I had the color coat, I sprayed it from 18" away to allow the paint to semi-dry in midair to give the stock a slightly textured surface.

coyote3
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:28:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I plan to get one later this year too.

I prefer the "coffee" laminated stock myself, it really appeals to me.

Fajen used to make this stock but I have found it again at Fulton Armory.

Gotta get it!
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#10]
fredsm14stocks.com

Great camo jobs on some of the synthetic stocks.  I intend on upgrading my green spray-painted GI fiberglass stock to a woodland camo type sometime in the near future.

The synthetic is best for general field use.  For match use a laminated stock as available from Fulton Armory glass bedded is the best bet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Save some $$ and get the fiberglass from Springfield.
Then call Fred's and get an excellent USGI walnut for about $35
That's what I did.
He makes a little plastic thing that looks like a selector lock, get one. they make it look like a real M14.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]
You can replace the rubber recoil buttplate with a GI buttplate. I just ordered one to replace mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top