Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2002 7:08:57 PM EDT
from some of your resposes from earlier post I have come to the conclusion that more and more of you are starting to beleive as I do that the ar would make a great defensive weapon. so my question is in what configuration would you have it for defense. ie what optics if any, what accessories etc. also what kind of ammo would you use.

ps if any of you would be kind enough to post pics of you defense ar please feel free to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I would pick the one that I have the most trust in. It would have to be reliable, accurate for close up work. Plus it would be the one I have the most practice with.

If you don't have absolute confidence in your rifle, then you better get a different one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would pick the one that I have the most trust in. It would have to be reliable, accurate for close up work. Plus it would be the one I have the most practice with.

If you don't have absolute confidence in your rifle, then you better get a different one.

Add to that, I'd want the one with the loaded mag!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Add to that, I'd want the one with the loaded mag!

I would have to agree with that assessment as well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]
just make sure it's a COLT!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my favorite setups is the 16" barrel with an Aimpoint mounted in line with the iron sights.  This set up allows very fast target placement and if the battery fails I am already lined up for my irons.  

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There are a lot of companies that make great TARGET ARs, but only a few that make WEAPONS.  Specifically, on a *weapon*, you want an M16-spec chamber and a chrome-lined chamber & bore.  This limits you to 2, possibly 3 companies, at least when it comes to the most important component: the barrel.  They are:

Colt
Bushmaster
and maybe Armalite*

*Armalite seems to be confused as to whether or not they are using a tighter .223 chamber on their chromed barrels or the larger M16 chamber.  Given the conflicting reports, I would be hesitant to select an Armalite barrel for a weapon.  I also prefer lightweight barrels, and Armalite, with their "target" focus, makes only heavy barrels.

For a post-ban gun, I'd say that the best setup would be:

- Bushmaster complete lower with A2 stock (or a nice low-milage A1 stock).  The non-collapsable stocks are for looks only, and aren't as rugged or useful as a standard stock.
- Bushmaster upper with plain-muzzled 16" M4 barrrel, and A1 or A2 upper.
- Send the upper to Kurt at KKF to have him press a fake A2 FS over the muzzle if you want to have the "proper look".  This maintains the over-all shortness while maximizing bullet velocity.
- A dot/reflex-type sight can be mounted if desired.

-Troy

not to sound like a parrot here, but absolutely.
i would like to add the 20 round mags seem to be the best for all around defensive purposes, don't forget that proper barrel length is required for proper fragmentation, those 10 and 14.5's (registreed as sbr's ) look cool, but most 5.56 rds give optimal performance in at least a 16" barrel, so keep in mind to match your ammo to your barrel, add a prpoer sling and practice, practice, practice.
rifles as defensive tools require different types of retention techniques and are easier to grab and take away.
my .02.
(edited to add that black hills HPs are good for indoor use, but most ball will fragment, BTW, if you have to use a rifle indoors, remember that you may experience hearing loss. (you think they're loud OUTside!)
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Since most defensive problems happen at night, I spent the extra money for a pre-ban with a flash suppressor.  I've got a fluted 16" barrel, a collapsable stock, and an Aimpoint mounted in front of the carry handle.  I keep a set of electronic ear protectors next to it so I can hear every little sound, and yet not deafen myself if I fire.  Speaking as one whose had two encounters with burglars at night (the first time I had a .45 and caught the fellow, the second time I was unarmed and we surprised each other; both of us ran), I want the confidence of KNOWING that I have the next one out-gunned.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
hell I already have partial hearing loss from working around firearms all day long and a particularly unpleasent experience with a m109 paladin (don't ask).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top