Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 7:06:25 AM EDT
Since I think I'm going to get the AR shorty with a flat top and removeable carry handle ES2 Shorty A3, I was wondering if the carry handle loosens up after time during shooting.  I will be using this rifle primarily with iron sights since I have a long range rifle already but might want to add a red dot later in life.  What I don't want is a rifle that I have to continuously have to be tightening down the carry handle.  What has been your experience with these?  

I'd be interested in seeing some pic's of red dots on these AR's too if you have a good link that I can get to or if you could post a pic that would be great.  Thanks
Four-Aces
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't use a detachable carry handle, but a DPMS detachable rear sight. It would loosen up on me but I applied some blue loc-tite to the threads and nary a problem since.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
NO. A quality A3 carry handle config does not loosen. They will also reliably re-zero.
You can also put the red-dot on top of the fixed carry handle.

The pic below is A3 with red-dot on top. I also have a Swan-sleeve and 3-9x lighted-recticle scope config for this rifle. I mounted the scope with quick detachable Leopold matte  rings/mount. It is easy to swap between red-dot and scope.
Either rig will convert to iron sights in seconds (Swan-sleeve had flip up rear iron sight).

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
They can come off.  I watched an Aimpoint fly off an M16 under full-auto.  It can happen, but with a semi-auto, I doubt it ever would.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had three, never had a problem with them loosening up. Same with friends on FA.

Here is one AR of mine with Aimpoint-
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll have to agree with Troy. I have two M4's with removable carry handles and have NEVER had them come loose. But unless you plan on adding optics and NV devices... just stick with the A2. One of my M4's has the handle off and I have an Aimpoint and a PVS-14 mount on it. The other has the carry handle witha Compact ACOG on it. They both work well and the ACOG always re-zero's when I remove and replace the carry handle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies!  The A2 is it then.  I will be using iron sights primarily but would like to add a red dot in the future possibly.  I didn't realize that they are supposed to be mounted beyond the carry handle.  That helps alot.  I don't plan on adding night vision stuff or magnified optics.  I have a Remington 700 for that type fo stuff
:-).

Thanks again,
Four-Aces
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top