User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks FALARAK.

slt223, it's www.gunsnstuff.net

dirfire, thanks for flaming me on two different gun boards.  Your help is most kind and appreciated.  Troll  Like we've established, SOG screwed up first!  Yes, I shouldn't have fired it, but I made sure that it is in MUCH better shape than when I recieved it.  It will be the cleanest, nicest WASR-10 they have in their whole operation.  Someone will be lucky to get it IF a WASR-10 is what they want.  It's not what I want.  I'm going for a Maadi or SAR-1.

Thanks again troll.

BBURN
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I ordered a SAR-1 from SOG just last Friday.  The sales lady told me it would be a SAR-1 but more stressed it would be just a Romanian AK.  She also said it would come with a 10 and 40rd mag.

Then I read this post and think what I might receive.  It came in last night and after I unpack it, what does the receiver say?  WASR-10.  I call SOG and CS is closed.  This new sales rep reads the description and says that nothing says anything about a SAR-1.  Their ads say just that it will be a Romanian AK for 279.99.  I look it back up on their site, new catalog, old catalogs for the last 3 months and SGN.  Nothing ever says anything about SAR-1 or WASR-10.  The sales lady last night finally admitted it said Model commonly called SAR-1 at the bottom of their description in their computer.  Whatever.

On the other hand though, it has a great finish and the stocks aren't that bad.  My MAK-90 stocks sucked and cracked 2 of them at the tang until I got a draganov stock.  With all the crap talked about the SAR-1 having a bad finish on the metal and wood, I was actually pleased with the fit and finish of the WASR-10.  It's not a Colt or better finish, it's an AK.  I didn't however get a 10rd mag.

Yes this receiver is modified to accept the hi-caps but is done so legally so no problems there.  The work also done to it isn't that bad for an AK.  Yes I get a little wobble in the mag but no more than my MAK-90.  I can't believe anybody would be upset about the quality of this AK copy.   Hell, I might get a couple more.

What does upset me, is that I was sold something that didn't match what they told me they would send.  I've done business with SOG for 9 years and they haven't let me down or switched a product accept this.  And in fairness to them, nothing says that you will get a SAR-1.  All they say is that it will be a Romanian AK.  I did get that.  I think after reading all posts like this, you assume it will be a SAR.

I called this morning and SOG appologised for the misunderstanding and told me that they have informed sales to stop making any reference to the SAR-1 and that it will just be Romanian AK from now on.  I told them this was misleading and they also appologised for any confusion.  She also said she would ship out a 10rd mag today and that as of 4/1/02, they will no longer be shipping a 10rd with the rifle.

cont.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Cont.  

All in all I'm happy.  I too probably wouldn't ordered the rifle if I had known it was a WASR-10 but I am perfectly happy with it.  It cleaned up real well and action is smoother than my MAK-90 also.  I think you made a mistake in sending it back.  You admit it shot great for an AK.  I also don't think they shot this at the target they sent as I saw no indication that my rifle had been shot and I completely stripped it for a cleaning.  Every lever and takedown part worked without a fight.  Once again, my MAK-90 is a fight to get the lower grip off and gas tube sticks.  This came apart like a dream.

If I would have known this was a WASR-10 modified, I would have probably bought 2 WASR-10 single stack versions instead as they only run $160.

AK's are made rough no matter what you buy.  Don't expect it to be pretty like the AR and have a wonderful finish and you won't be disappointed.  This rifle is meant to go through anything and not jam.  As someone else said, the ARs are having one hell of a time over in sand land as they are jamming and having all sorts of problems.  Somehow the AKs keep going and keep going.

I for one will consider purchasing more of these WASR-10 as the wood was good and the metal was pretty nice.  It also came with a cleaning kit for storage in the stock.  Didn't chew my finger when inserted like the SKS.  It came with a nice OD green sling, mags fit very good.  No binding.  What more can I ask for?

I'll shoot it this weekend and post some pics.  That's when the truth will come out.  I don't expect any problems.  I took before and after cleaning pics so you can get an idea of how nice it comes out of the box.

John
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#4]
AR_Lvr,

I agree with you on everything.  I think the condition of these WASR-10 guns is fairly good.  My receiver was pretty scratched up, but that's not a big deal and I could refinish it anytime if I wanted.

A big problem I have with it that I may not have mentioned is that the mag is VERY hard to get in and out.  My friend's Maadi takes mags very smoothly.  My WASR is a fight to insert a mag and a fight to remove a mag.  With some finish filing it could be easily fixed.  But, when the mag is already wobbling worse than my friend's Maadi, why would I want to file more material off?  When you take that and add it to the crooked front sight, the modified mag well and afterthought feed ramp, scratched up finish, and that SOG misled me, I feel like sending it back is the best option at this point.  Like you said, its a $160-$175 gun that the've ground and welded on and jacked up $100 in price.  That bugs me a little bit!  CAMPYBOB really thought I should send it back based on all the little things adding up.  That's exactly what I've been thinking all along.

Enjoy the gun!  If I could afford two, I'd just keep mine too, but I think one AK is all I have room for.

BBURN
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#5]
***** Update *****

I took out the WASR-10 high capacity out this weekend and ran 200rds through from different manufacturers.  It performed flawlessly.  Not one single error.  Mags worked great, ammo fed through.  Over 8 people shot the 20" AR and the AK back to back and all but 1 said they wanted the AK.  My 8yo son shot an AK and AR for the first time.  All I did was hold the front up a little while he shot.

The sights were dead on.  We shot at full pop cans and after 2 cases of pop were gone rather quickley, we had to shoot at the left overs.  Anything you laid those sites on dissapeared rather quickly.

I personally think that it shoots better than my MAK90 and I didn't have to adjust a thing.  The action is very smooth now and very little wear was found.  Usually you will see a lot of color missing off parts and I found very little.  No trigger slap was present either.

Bump firing was a blast.  It did it very well although all I could get off were about 6-7 rounds at a time.  Still made a full clip go pretty quick.  Very easy to control while rapid firing.

All in all a very impressive functioning weapon.

John
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top