Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2002 6:56:57 AM EDT
I see many posts where people are so sure after the AW ban sunsets that they will now be able to have a full-auto, bayonet mounted, flash suppressed, brand spanking new 30 round magazines,rifle.
From what I can see, even George Bush and other so-called pro-gun republicans would pass another ban. Maybe a bit different. They may reconsider with a couple of the pre-ban features like flash suppressors or collapsable buttstock. Magazines over 10 rounds? Maybe 20 rounds, but I doubt even that.
But as far as full-auto, burst and 30+ round hi-cap mags, these features would still be considered too much for most politicans to allow.

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The AW ban has nothing to do with machineguns.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The ban will sunset and there will be Free MG's for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

"Daddy can I get a M60, come on daddy PLEEEEEASSSEEEEEE I wanted that powerwheels and I never got it so how bout the M60!?!?!"

*drool*
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I want a SAW!
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#5]
ponyboy'd right the AW ban has nothing to do with MG's you guys should know thats two different things. two different crappy bills passed @ different times in the last century.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ponyboy'd right the AW ban has nothing to do with MG's you guys should know thats two different things. two different crappy bills passed @ different times in the last century.

We are just messing with ArmaLiter.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Naw man once the ban sunsets all kind a shit's going to be legal.  First thing I'm buying is an RPG-7 with a freaking bayonet and a flash hider on it.

-SouthernShark
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the AW ban is here to stay.
ARH
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think the AW ban is here to stay.
ARH

The ban will sunset by the date, it just depends on how hard we work to keep it from being renewed or made worse. Just make sure you do your part when the time comes, and don't be one of those types that says I am not going to vote because it won't make any difference.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The ban will sunset by the date, it just depends on how hard we work to keep it from being renewed or made worse. Just make sure you do your part when the time comes, and don't be one of those types that says I am not going to vote because it won't make any difference.

I second that remark.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I think a new ban will replace the current one. And they'll do it before this one expires. At the very least I think the 10 round rule will be re uped. We may get our "evil features" back but I don't think 10+ round mags will ever be legal again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I am with Gunman on the renewal, but I have a different spin on it, I think the AW will sunset, but a new law will be in effect in short time.  All I am hoping for is the lag time, I will use it wisely to stock up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I pray that the bill will fade into history, and that another one will not be adopted. As for people voting, I don't care what you believe in, but I have a VOTE OR DIE attitude. My grandparents did not fight to allow me to sit at home when the polls are open.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Lag Time.
I am predicting lag time before the two bills.
Personally I am going to save a lot of money and buy police clips once the ban ends.

If it doesn't end or becomes somethig worse, I will use the money to buy all those cool toys which will go bye-bye.

Aghast, imagine five round clips for your pistols?
Revolver makers will love that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Rather than just wait for 2004 is there anything we can do in the mean time to help our cause?  Write letters to our representatives; raise awareness on this issue, or is the timing just too early for that?  I would think the more our representatives hear from the people that voted them into office that they don’t like these laws maybe they will do something about it.  Or is that just wishful thinking
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the ban sunsets just before an election.   If people really wise up about their guns and let their politicians know how they really feel most politicians would stay away from it unless they want their political future to end...
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this the ban that prevents foreign AW from being imported or a different one?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I've learned my lesson.   I'm gonna get 10 beta C mags and just as many pistol lowers this time.  It's amazing how one can dream with eyes wide open.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've learned my lesson.   I'm gonna get 10 beta C mags and just as many pistol lowers this time.  It's amazing how one can dream with eyes wide open.

I wish we could fool the government into thinking that a 30 round mag is called a 10 round (like the way people fool ebay, we KNOW its a 30 round but they say its 10 round... ever seen a 10 round drum mags on ebay?)
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#20]
There will be a new law------4 round magazines.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#21]
My response is here  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=103555

Don't wait for someone else to do it for you.  It won't get done.  We want this bill to go the way of the dodo bird.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you guys forgot how long it will take congress to pass a bill with committees and subcommittees? and all that redtape?....
When it sunsets in October of 2004, there will then be a couple of months before a new bill can be started...

We can buy all  the "good features" till those months are up!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't forget, all it takes is one pro gun senator to fillabuster the new bill and it goes nowhere.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry for busting your chops SS109, but I'm sure you meant magazines and not clips. Clips either directly load ammunition into firearm or into a magazine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#25]
My humble opinion is that the AW bill will not be replaced by a new one in 2004 from Washington. But that the individual states will implement laws before the sunset of the AW bill in 2004 which will be worse than what we have now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Different states already have different "assault" rifle laws. Doesn't matter what federal bill is currently in effect.
To my own surprise, my homestate of IL, which is very strong on gun laws, allows the ownership and sales of pre-ban hi-cap mags where some states like California and Maryland(I believe) only allow sales of 5-10 rounders.

ArmaLiter

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Everyone seems to be forgetting one plausible angle to stop-gap a lapse in the law.  Specifically, a new ATF "interpretation" or ruling that would serve the same purpose.

It's happened before.  No fillibusters, no bills, no voter backlash.

Not to bust everyone's bubble, but please recall that the Federal Income Tax was implemented as a temporary tax to pay for WW-I.  I'm not too up on the particulars, but I think it was like 1.5% and set to expire around 1925 or so.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that whatever is in store for us in 2004 will be worse than what we have now.  It's just not in their nature to make things better.

Saleen
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't rely of GWB to save our bacon.  When asked in 2000 if he would veto McCain-Feingold, he said on ABC News "Yes, I would."
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Everyone seems to be forgetting one plausible angle to stop-gap a lapse in the law.  Specifically, a new ATF "interpretation" or ruling that would serve the same purpose.

BATF interpretation has nothing to do with it. The act clearly states that it sunsets 10 years from the date of enactment. Not much interpretation to be done there.

Personally I don't think there will be another law to replace the first one. I think the current ban will sunset and that will be that. However, if there is going to be another ban to replace the current one, you can bet your ass that it will be effective the minute that the current one sunsets. There isn't going to be any "lapse" where you can run out and put collapsable stocks on your postbans. All of that nonsense is just a pipedream.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#30]
From what I see it is only going to get worse can't see them easing the laws with all the crap going on. I still go with what I talked about on Glocktalk a while back.

If you want to have a CCW and own any gun. Have them do a LEO type background check on you. That includes a Physiological, interview family and everything else. Qualify and keep up a Certification by going to the range every 6months or year. Then you can carry anyplace in the Country.
The Assault Rifle Bill will be changed in 2004. Don't think that there aren't Anti Gun Groups sitting idle and waiting for 2004.  They are out there right now plotting to take more away from us. The shame is they are going to win, not because we don't care. Because there are more Paranoid people in this world than Gun Owners. They vote and follow the masses.

Also like another post here they will throw some other BS into the law dealing with Education, Health, Highways who knows. Then if the Bill is not passed you lose other things. Look at anti smoking legislation. Those Poor Smokers got reamed and still are in taxes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top