Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2002 9:21:48 PM EDT
The Facility where I work issues Bushy M4A1's and recently two rifles came up with the Forward assist cracked 3/4 of the way around just forward of the "Head" where your palm would contact it.
It's no problem to replace them of course,but the issue remains.
Anybody here ever heard of such a thing?

I spent time in the USMC and have seen some serious hard use placed upon an M16A2,and never even heard of somehow breaking a forward assist!
Granted,our rifles get banged off of steel and concrete now and again if a guy isn't careful,but SHEEESH!
I am baffled because there is no obvious sign of heavy impact to the assist,nor around the thing.
Any hints or experience would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks much!
S-28
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm possibly on the wrong page with this,but really need to give it another shot.
Apologies for a bump that is possibly too soon.
Thanks all!
E4E
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never seen a round headed forward assist break, but I have seen quite few of the tear drop shaped ones broken.  Normally the lower portion (bottem) of the tear drop section snaps off.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Tony!
The Crack is ahead of the teardrop on the shaft and goes 3/4 of the way around!!!
When we swap out the F/A we will use the round head version just to avoid having as much sticking out in the wind to get slapped.
I appreciate the feedback!
Keep safe!
S-28
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Are the M4s from the same manufacturing lot? I'd guess the FAs were mis-manufactured and cracked at the bottom of the spring seat.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#5]
DnPRK,
I dunno about being from the same lot,but we got them in at the same time from the same Source that does Huge volumes with Govt. and L.E. customers.My guess is the parts likely could be from the same lot.
With the sudden demand for M4's by our Military,and the extra burden on parts suppliers this has crossed my mind.
Haste makes waste and all that.

Given time,I'm going to grab a few at random and magnaflux to see if it a further trend.

Thanks for the input and sharing of thoughts!
I appreciate it!
Keep safe!
S-28

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top