Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2002 6:07:38 PM EDT
Is it the follower or mag body, both? Is it true the converted UZI mags dont hold open the bolt? If not why not and what can be done to make them do it?

Will the converted UZI mags still work in the UZI? Will Colt sell only the mag followers or does their customer service still suck dick?

Thanks,
Bryan
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Converted Uzi magazines will still work in an Uzi. The only modification is a slot cut in the side for the mag catch. They will not keep the bolt open.  Below are some photos of my ASA block and modified magazines.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pics and info but why wont they hold the bolt open? Dont the colt mags hold the bolt open?

BrenLover
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one "converted" Uzi mag that I had to grind a slot into the back of to get it to even go into my Colt's mag well (factory 635 subgun). As far as hold-oen goes, there is a little tail on the back of a real Colt magazine follower that holds the bolt open. Adding a tail to the follower (or adding a Colt follower) would probably make the mag no longer work with an Uzi, and would therefore be considered manufacture of a new post-ban hi capacity magazine, which is bad.

At least that's my take on it. Anyone know anything different?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#4]
In addition to the tab on the follower there is a channel on the back of the Colt mag for the tab.  This channel isn't on the UZI mag and I don't think a Colt follower would fit.  In addition to the slot for the mag catch, the rear of an UZI mag needs to be relieved for the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys. Anyone have nice clear pics of Colt and UZI mags next to one another? Anyone know for sure if the UZI mag needs a "channel for the Colt follower to work? And lastly, is the UZI mag still illegal if the followers can be changed and the mag still work in the UZI? After all the MG-15 drums have interchangable towers to fit a variety of guns but are still legal because you can put on the original tower and use it in the original gun.

Thanks,
Bryan
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pics and info but why wont they hold the bolt open? Dont the colt mags hold the bolt open?

BrenLover

The reason an UZI mag won't hold the bolt open is because they weren't designed to. The UZI is an open-bolt submachinegun so the bolt is always open anyways unless it's firing. If the UZI was a closed-bolt gun then they probably would have put the tail on the mags to hold the bolt back.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#7]
This is true, I had not thought of that. With that being said can they be modified to take both followers, allowing the user to swap them out and work in both gun therefore being legal?

Thanks,
Bryan
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This is true, I had not thought of that. With that being said can they be modified to take both followers, allowing the user to swap them out and work in both gun therefore being legal?

Thanks,
Bryan

Now that, I'm not really sure about. I don't know of any UZI mag followers specifically designed for this purpose but that doesn't mean that they aren't out there.

I've just always taken for granted that Colt mags will hold the bolt open and that most other mags won't. For mags that are only 1/3 the price though I don't see it as that big of a downfall.

That's about all I know, so take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Umm..wait a minute.  The statement "the bolt is always open anyways unless it's firing" isn't quite right.  When you run dry with an UZI the bolt slams home on an empty chamber and sits there until recocked by the user.  The bolt hold open feature is there, in those designs that have one, to facilitate faster reloads by holding the bolt open until a fresh mag is inserted in the weapon.  Then the bolt is released by the user and the bolt flies forward to the ready position.  In a closed bolt design this would be fully home.  In an open bolt design the bolt would ride as far as the sear catch and stop, waiting for the trigger to be pulled.  The fact that the UZI is an open bolt design did not preclude the bolt hold open feature from being incorporated into the design.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Umm..wait a minute.  The statement "the bolt is always open anyways unless it's firing" isn't quite right.  When you run dry with an UZI the bolt slams home on an empty chamber and sits there until recocked by the user.  The bolt hold open feature is there, in those designs that have one, to facilitate faster reloads by holding the bolt open until a fresh mag is inserted in the weapon.  Then the bolt is released by the user and the bolt flies forward to the ready position.  In a closed bolt design this would be fully home.  In an open bolt design the bolt would ride as far as the sear catch and stop, waiting for the trigger to be pulled.  The fact that the UZI is an open bolt design did not preclude the bolt hold open feature from being incorporated into the design.

You know what? You're completely right. I guess I haven't got enough trigger time on the UZI yet to remember stuff like this. Craig are you listening?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top