Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2002 10:23:50 PM EDT
Hi gang, just wondering if Im crazy by selling my M1a Scout rifle, I have a AR-15 postban and I kinda want to get a CA legal AR lower receiver to play around with, I also have a Russ. SKS, so I do have a few decent guns, I just dnot know if I want the Scout, it seems that you have to take it apart and get GI parts for it, mags,ammo, and parts a exspensive, sometme down the road I will get some good optics but I will have to have a different scope for the scout, seems that this gun is a bit more money to have than some of my other stuff. What would some of you guy's do here? Sell or not to Sell!!
The SA is still legal here to shot and own, but will the Gov. take it away soon too?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi gang, just wondering if Im crazy by selling my M1a Scout rifle, I have a AR-15 postban and I kinda want to get a CA legal AR lower receiver to play around with, I also have a Russ. SKS, so I do have a few decent guns, I just dnot know if I want the Scout, it seems that you have to take it apart and get GI parts for it, mags,ammo, and parts a exspensive, sometme down the road I will get some good optics but I will have to have a different scope for the scout, seems that this gun is a bit more money to have than some of my other stuff. What would some of you guy's do here? Sell or not to Sell!!
The SA is still legal here to shot and own, but will the Gov. take it away soon too?

Dude, of all the guns you've mentioned that you have ready for action I'd say that the best one you have is the one you are ready to sell...DO NOT sell that rifle! You WILL regret it!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course Redmanfms
will say I'm wrong, but he just wants to disagree with me.....make him explain himself...
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:24:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Of course Redmanfms
will say I'm wrong, but he just wants to disagree with me.....make him explain himself...

Actually, I disagree when you attack the site mods (who don't have much to do with the advertisers anyway) for having an advertiser you don't happen to like.  I also disagree when you viciously attack a member because you don't like the search engine he uses.  I mean really, why the Hell do you care if raven likes google?

And your obsession with male genitalia combined with your open challenges for members who don't agree with you to come out and be "measured" is somewhat disturbing.

KDXer:

Never sell any weapon unless it is a total POS or you are starving, you'll ALWAYS regret it.  

Springfield parts really don't need to be replaced with USGI.  I never really liked the Scout myself, but if it works for you and is legal you should keep it.  As far as the M1A being more money to have, well yeah, but comparing an SKS to an M1A is like comparing a Yugo to a Cadillac.  Save, save, save to get the stuff you want.  If you have to wait a little bit longer to get nice optics for all your rifles it'll be worth it.  You can get some pretty good scopes that will be perfect for the AR for not much money.  The scope I use on my ARs is a Bushnell banner 6-18x50mm that cost all of $150.  It works great.  Any scope more than $100 is way too expensive to put on an SKS.  The M1A will probably need some better glass because of the heavier recoil, plus you'll need a LER scope if you want to make use of that scout mount, but you really shouldn't have to spend more than $300-$400 for a decent scope.  Anyway, "down the road" you'll regret not keeping that rifle.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Standard answer:

Once you own a gun, NEVER sell it.

I agree with the "unless it's a total POS" exception above, however I am SO selective and stingey with my cash that I am more likely to pass on buying than to end up with something I don't want down the road.

I really believe that if you weigh it out well in the beginning, you won't make a purchase you regret down the road.  That said, I will admit I've passed on some guns I wish I had today.  But everything I have, I'm keeping.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I made that mistake once.   It was a SKS I got at a pawn shop for $100.00  I liked it, fun to shoot, moderately accurate.  Sold it to a buggy I was in the natl gaurd with.  Sold it for what i bought it at.  Couldn't replace in now for twice that.  Fortunately, it was an inexpensive lesson learned.   I will sell no more guns.
My advice to you is the same as others, NEVER sell a gun you own.

WL

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Do NOT sell! If you have to, save your pennies for whatever you want to get.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, what he said!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell no!!! Do not sell.
ARH
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep your trash.

You have lost your mind if you sell that rifle.

California or not keep the thing.  I had one and regret selling it to this day.

I bought another M1A to make myself feel better.

keep on shooting

Max
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#11]
SELL IT!

Just make sure it is to me!  I'm a starving student, i'll be able to hunt here in NYC with it for large sewer and subway rats!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Scout too, and I think I would keep it over almost any of the 20 other guns I have. I shoot the AR more, but I would take the Scout first in any scenario where I had my life in the balance, excellent calibre, great optics.

Presonally I think the M1A is low on the list of guns to be banned, unless some really bizarre type uses it in a killing spree.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
SELL IT!

Just make sure it is to me!  I'm a starving student, i'll be able to hunt here in NYC with it for large sewer and subway rats!

Alligators maybe, but I think it's a bit overkill for the rats.  Pistol caliber should be fine.  Save the 308 for the armor plated Alligators.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Add another voice to the chorus, don't sell it.

I had a SA M1A loaded with a walnut stock, I really liked it, even though I never got a chance to shoot it, something else caught my eye and I sold it. I knew even fate itself frowned on that, because the day after I sold it, my main A/C airhandler broke and it cost me every bit of money that I got for the rifle, minus $20. I was sooooo mad, and I had wanted another M1A ever since.

Luckily, my blues have been cured, because on Tuesday, my new fiberglass stock/stainless barrel loaded M1A will arrive at the shop and all will be well in the world, I'll make sure I get the chance to shoot it this time as well.

Just don't sell it. Don't.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a twist on the never sell a non-pos theory.  The only time I sell is to upgrade.  Sell a Ruger and a Remington and use the $ to buy an Anschutz.  It's gotten my gun safe under control.  Sell the M1A and buy something decent like an AR15 or an AR10.  Good optics are never a waste of $ either.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Mail call.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]
For the love of all that's holy:

Don't do it, man!

I sold my M1A National Match preban when I lived in California and realized that there just were no ranges over 200 yards for hundreds of miles around.

Four months later I took a job in Texas where I live a short drive from several longer ranges, including two 1000 yard ranges.

Everytime I pass one on a table at a gunshow my stomach churns and I want to smack myself. If I can do anything good in this life at all, maybe convincing you not to sell your M1A will be it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Now here this !!! If you sell it I'll beat you to death .... I take that back just sell it to me , I live in Washington I could really make luv .... er I mean use a rifle like that in my collection !
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#19]
An M1A is on my short list of rifles I want.  It's a serious, high quality rifle that has real value to it.  If you sell it we're ALL going to knock down your door and bitch slap you.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I have thought on it for two days.
Yes. You're still crazy!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have thought on it for two days.
Yes. You're still crazy!

Stark raving bonkers!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I love my M1A, probably my favorite rifle.  Keep yours!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Selling guns is okay, but only if you have a replacement that you like better.  For instance, it would be fine to sell the M1 if you had another battle rifle such as a FAL, HK91 or a M1 you liked better.  That sounds like a real nice rifle, I'd hold onto it...
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Sell an M1??? What are you thinking???
But if you GIVE it to me, you will be practicing HABU...Hook A Brother(in arms) Up!!! Which I think is acceptable.(if I'm the getter!!)
I agree with the sell to upgrade.
I traded some guns to get a Wilson CQB. I traded a Bushy and an SA Mil-Spec for an Oly preban.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top