Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2017 3:30:08 AM EDT
Long story short, it'll be a long while before I can get my rifle cerakoted the colors I'd like.  I'm going to do a mockup with krylon, but was wondering if a flat topcoat of clear would be useful to seal it or not. 

What do you guys think? Btw, since it was an arf donated rifle, once the parts show up I'll do a build thread on it. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It will still scratch even with clear coat.  It's easier to touch up and match without clear coat.  I did a stock in zombie green for my step daughters single 20 gauge that I did clear coat over the Krylon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If your future holds additional refinishing I would skip the clear, clear also tends to make it more glossy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Fair enough, I was having the same thoughts on it but wanted to confirm. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
i've painted a number of rifles with krylon, and like others said, the clear coat only makes it more glossy. krylon is surprisingly tough as-is, especially if you prep your rifle prior to painting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
One more vote for leaving the clear coat off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top