Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 81
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I need to get drunk enough to try it, but not mess it up. Looks great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Just do it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 71montess:
View Quote
I was there once. Then I realized how bad it may turn out and how it would of turned me off from doing it ever again.

Get a plan, follow the plan, enjoy the fruits of the accomplished plan. Repeat on every firearm you own.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
If you are really worried you might mess up, paint a few PMAGs or an old handguard or stock for practice.   I've done a couple now + a shotgun for duck hunting and honestly it isn't very hard to do.  I think where some people might have trouble is trying to get too exact with a certain pattern or color combo they want to do.

I just did it quick and simple.

Cleaned the rifle very well
Masked off what I didn't want painted
Sprayed everything with flat camo tan and let it dry for a day
Used a cheap wal-mart mesh laundry back to add some "texture" and sprayed alternating flat brown and flat olive green on the rifle from 12" away or so.
Cracked open a beer and let it dry for a few minutes, then misted over it with a little bit of a flat foliage green for just a little more "depth"

It isn't as fancy as some, and actually now has a lot of "battle worn" look to it from several range trips and packing into the woods for deer hunting (upper is used on a pistol lower for hunting w/o vertical grip and light.

Don't over think it of you will talk yourself out of it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Another one I did.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Gambel_02:
I was there once. Then I realized how bad it may turn out and how it would of turned me off from doing it ever again.

Get a plan, follow the plan, enjoy the fruits of the accomplished plan. Repeat on every firearm you own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm the opposite. If I'm sober, I try to overthink it and the results are meh. If I get a bit of a buzz, I loosen up and just let the paint fly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:

If you are really worried you might mess up, paint a few PMAGs or an old handguard or stock for practice.   I've done a couple now + a shotgun for duck hunting and honestly it isn't very hard to do.  I think where some people might have trouble is trying to get too exact with a certain pattern or color combo they want to do.

I just did it quick and simple.

Cleaned the rifle very well
Masked off what I didn't want painted
Sprayed everything with flat camo tan and let it dry for a day
Used a cheap wal-mart mesh laundry back to add some "texture" and sprayed alternating flat brown and flat olive green on the rifle from 12" away or so.
Cracked open a beer and let it dry for a few minutes, then misted over it with a little bit of a flat foliage green for just a little more "depth"

It isn't as fancy as some, and actually now has a lot of "battle worn" look to it from several range trips and packing into the woods for deer hunting (upper is used on a pistol lower for hunting w/o vertical grip and light.

Don't over think it of you will talk yourself out of it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181534/20180307_201523_jpg-809231.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181534/Pistol_and_SBR_jpg-809234.JPG
Another one I did.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181534/ar_camo_jpg-809233.JPG
View Quote
I've even stopped cleaning the rifles prior.  Worst case scenario is that it wears a little faster in some spots which is sort of the appeal to the rattle can for me.

Now I just wish I could find Aervoe paint locally so I can be all high speed and move away from the Rustoleum...  
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 50DollarCheShirt:

I've even stopped cleaning the rifles prior.  Worst case scenario is that it wears a little faster in some spots which is sort of the appeal to the rattle can for me.

Now I just wish I could find Aervoe paint locally so I can be all high speed and move away from the Rustoleum...  
View Quote
Good point!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 50DollarCheShirt:

View Quote
I agree. Like the worn look of rattle can and makes prep easy because there is little.

For Aervoe, I buy from Brownells and use on of their codes for free shipping since most places have high shipping on paint/ammo.

Pic thread.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Lonestar12:

I agree. Like the worn look of rattle can and makes prep easy because there is little.

For Aervoe, I buy from Brownells and use on of their codes for free shipping since most places have high shipping on paint/ammo.

Pic thread.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298831/IMG_2325_JPG-809429.JPG
View Quote
I...  I don't know why Brownell's never occurred to me.  I am a powerfully stupid man...  Thank you @Lonestar12.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Man this thread is addicting. Ill eventually have all of my guns painted.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By doubleshot00:
Man this thread is addicting.
View Quote
Absolutely!  None of mine are, but that's because I lack the creativity.  That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the gorgeous machines you folks have produced.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lonestar12:

Pic thread.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298831/IMG_2325_JPG-809429.JPG
View Quote
It's not an AR, but my trusty 870 is wearing nicely after a couple seasons of waterfowling.

It was starting to show some rust and worn parkerizing from getting beat around the blind, so decided to rattle can it a few years back.  Used some yellow "squash" as my base, then some flat tan before some flat brown and olive.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:

It's not an AR, but my trusty 870 is wearing nicely after a couple seasons of waterfowling.

It was starting to show some rust and worn parkerizing from getting beat around the blind, so decided to rattle can it a few years back.  Used some yellow "squash" as my base, then some flat tan before some flat brown and olive.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181534/1547928026660400_jpg-813652.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181534/1547928118950915_jpg-813653.JPG
View Quote
That is an awesome duck gun! Love the pattern.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
http://i.imgur.com/OpmSVjs.jpg
View Quote
@Finslayer83

I know this is an old post but can you tell me about the colors on the bottom rifle? I have a rifle similar to that and I reaaaaallllyyy like how that looks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Creature:

That is an awesome duck gun! Love the pattern.
View Quote
Thanks! I was trying to do something that looked like marsh grass, but ended up with something a bit more unique.  I just tied some strips of canvas strapping around in some random places to allow the tan and yellow underneath to show through and break things up a bit.   I've had a few of my hunting buddies ask if I could do theirs and I've told them that I doubt I could recreate this since I just made it up as I went.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:59:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#16]
Originally Posted By Rayrod911:
What paint did you use and how did you paint it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rayrod911:
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
My first SBR build and first attempt at painting. Thanks to EVERYONE who has posted pictures for me to study. Needs some touch up after I let it sit for a while but I like it.

https://preview.ibb.co/fRkZO0/IMG-0114.jpg" target="_blank">https://preview.ibb.co/fRkZO0/IMG-0114.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/ctUTi0/IMG-0113.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/cY9di0/IMG-0111.jpg" target="_blank">https://preview.ibb.co/cY9di0/IMG-0111.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/hrYFVf/IMG-0110.jpg" target="_blank">https://preview.ibb.co/hrYFVf/IMG-0110.jpg
What paint did you use and how did you paint it?
@Rayrod911

I used Krylon camo series spray paint. I did a base layer of Olive and then I used mesh ($2 walmart mesh laundry bag) and sprayed Khaki over it. The farther away you are with the can the better. Just let it dry between coats and added a little here and there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Also not an AR and I've posted before but not in the snow.

FDS_4422-Edit by Damage Photos, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Pyzik:
Also not an AR and I've posted before but not in the snow.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4820/39873617263_d23c2c63f9_c.jpg
FDS_4422-Edit by Damage Photos, on Flickr
View Quote
Why hello there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#19]
My first stab at this sorta thing.

How's it look?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CWied:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416409/48419836_1826060444170792_4905246869900230656_n-817889.jpg

How's it look?
View Quote
Looking good. Would love to see it outside in its natural habitat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416409/48419836_1826060444170792_4905246869900230656_n-817889.jpg

How's it look?
View Quote
Looks great, and is going to look even better the more you use it and start to scuff it up a bit.  Good work!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CWied] [#22]
Thanks!

I have a couple from a few days ago. The pattern is a little light so I may darken it up a bit. Who knows. I can't wait till the whole rifle looks like my Wolf 9SD suppressor does. Just gotta get out there and run em hard.

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks!

I have a couple from a few days ago. The pattern is a little light so I may darken it up a bit. Who knows. I can't wait till the whole rifle looks like my Wolf 9SD suppressor does. Just gotta get out there and run em hard.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416409/IMG-0105_JPG-818178.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416409/IMG-0114_JPG-818180.jpg
View Quote
Those turned out great. How's the paint hold up on the suppressors from all that heat?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Those turned out great. How's the paint hold up on the suppressors from all that heat?
View Quote
Thanks!

Holds up alright for being Krylon I think. After the suppressor gets hot the paint is easier to scrape off, but I haven't gotten a smoke show, any bad smells, and the paint hasn't turned black. I think it worked out alright.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#25]
When you guys are painting scopes are you removing them from the rifle or just leave it on? Also are you just putting the lens caps on or taping up the glass?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:55:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deere_John_16] [#26]
Originally Posted By kered:
When you guys are painting scopes are you removing them from the rifle or just leave it on? Also are you just putting the lens caps on or taping up the glass?
View Quote
I've left mine on.  The trick I heard was to stuff a cotton ball or 3 under the scope cap to make sure that no over spray accidentally gets through to the lens.   Now, depending on how OCD you are, you may actually want to take the caps off, and paint the inside of the flip caps first, then after try put them back on.  In reality when you are using the rifle, the inside of the flip up caps will be exposed.   May or may not be a big deal to have a 2" black circle visible in the grand scheme of things since the scope lens will also look odd, but some guys will pain the inside of the caps too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 2:04:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARnTN] [#27]
I’ve done it several different ways.  I will typically leave it on unless I think I’ll likely end up changing out the optic.

If I normally have flip caps on it then I’ll stuff some cotton balls under it and close it just as jblomenberg16 suggested.  The only issue I’ve ever had with that is I had one optic with a tacky sealant around the lens and it was a pain to get all of the cotton fibers off.  But normally that works great.

If I don’t have flip covers then I’ll either run a circle of tape on the outside of the scope body at the edge, fold it inwards (think like a shotgun shell crimp), and then add tape to seal it up. Alternatively, I’ve also ran a ring around the inside of the ends of the scope (adhesive side out) and then folded over and added tape.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks guys. Debated on doing my 6.8 and have finally decided to do it. Gonna practice on a paintball gun first. I'll post up when I'm done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks guys. Debated on doing my 6.8 and have finally decided to do it. Gonna practice on a paintball gun first. I'll post up when I'm done.
View Quote
Do it. I leave everything on the rifle and just tape up things I don't want paint on. Worked well for my first two posted above.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#30]
R700 with Grayboe stock. Used large netting and small mesh to try and blend combinations of rustoleum and Aervoe colors. Wasn’t happy at all with the way it turned out so the next gun I used sponges and was much happier.

Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
I leave them on the rifle.

I cut out a circle of painters tape that’ll cover the lens but I put a bunch of cotton balls under there to prevent overspray like it was mentioned and sort of stick the tape on the cotton and affix the tape to the inside of the lens housing.

I paint lens caps separately

I also will tape off turret numbers, magnification settings, parallax, etc:

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 1:47:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bk0388] [#32]
Test
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 3:16:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GardensandGuns] [#34]
Havent posted in this thread since page 14-15? so i figured i would update you guys on my rattlecan projects.

I am currently practicing multicam for my next project, a manners stock

Link Posted: 2/9/2019 2:52:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Just finished up a light weight [ish] 11.3 SBR.

I think it came out OK, but I was shooting for a multicam tropic blend.  Next time I'll add more olive and jungle greens.  Overall quite pleased with it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2019 2:46:19 AM EDT
[#36]
First time using Spray Paint on an AR-15.  I must admit, this was an expensive build so I was a little nervous when I started.

I was going for the distressed/battle worn look. I used a plethora of techniques to get this result. How did I do?

Here are the "before" pictures:

Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Et2ss] [#37]
Distress job looks good. What techniques were used?

Your rear swivel is on backwards.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I started with 2 coats of dark green self-etching primer (I’ve read that it adheres better to anodizing). Then I base coated it with metallic silver and let it cure in front of a propane heater for an hour to get the bare-metal effect.

After I was satisfied that it was set enough, I’d apply foliage green to a small area and quickly remove some of it using a scotch brite pad to get that metal-under-paint effect. Some times I’d promote removal with a touch of paint thinner on the scotch Brite pad (bud not so much that you wear through the silver paint). I took my time and always just resprayed again if I wasn’t satisfied.

Then end result was quite satisfying, but extremely light in tone. Next I dry-brushed some dark/OD green randomly over the surface of the rifle, trying to hit areas that would normally have less wear (nooks and crannies of the handguard, etc). This is one of those times where less-is-more and I wasn’t afraid to use paint thinner on a sponge to remove some of the paint if I felt it was too much. I also found that removal paint this way, allowed me to get patterns and effects that I never could by simply adding paint.

Lastly, I painted on the rust using Aervoe red earth with a small craft brush and only accenting areas where two separate pieces of metal touched each other. The initial brushing looked way too much like I painted it on, so again I dabbed a sponge in some paint thinner and removed the brown until I got the lightest tinge of surface rust. I’d take that same sponge and dab that residual red on the open flat areas to give that hint of surface rust as well.

I still need to matte clear coat it, but I was very happy with the end result.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#40]
A little disappointed in the colors. I used strictly the rustoleum camo colors and I feel everything except the dark brown and dark green is too light. There's too much contrast and I shouldve used more black. Also the humidity started making the tape come off so I got some bleed in. Oh well I'll give it another shot eventually.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#41]
A little disappointed in the colors. I used strictly the rustoleum camo colors and I feel everything except the dark brown and dark green is too light. There's too much contrast and I shouldve used more black. Also the humidity started making the tape come off so I got some bleed in. Oh well I'll give it another shot eventually.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/233493/20190209_174923-3024x2268_jpg-842823.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/233493/20190211_071711-3024x2268_jpg-842824.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/233493/20190212_001527-3024x2268_jpg-842825.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/233493/20190212_001551-3024x2268_jpg-842826.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/233493/20190212_001534-3024x2268_jpg-842827.JPG
View Quote
That looks great man!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:33:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DJTHEMAC] [#42]
View Quote
Thats what I learned from my first attempt at multicam style krylon.  Color Selection is absolutely key. I was going for a multicam tropic scheme on mine, but the army green top coat turned out to be much more of a "mint" color.  I hit it with some brown to darken it and overall Im quite pleased.  Another thing to consider is the multicam patterns don't have evenly spaced out off color patterns, rather they appear at random with mulitple colors overalapping, and then no color except for the top coat in other areas.

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DJTHEMAC:

Thats what I learned from my first attempt at multicam style krylon.  Color Selection is absolutely key. I was going for a multicam tropic scheme on mine, but the army green top coat turned out to be much more of a "mint" color.  I hit it with some brown to darken it and overall Im quite pleased.  Another thing to consider is the multicam patterns don't have evenly spaced out off color patterns, rather they appear at random with mulitple colors overalapping, and then no color except for the top coat in other areas.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Gun-pix/i-ZVJTNJw/0/a1b13c39/L/IMG_20190207_155850_891-L.jpg
View Quote
Yes yours came out just about perfect!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#44]

https://photos.smugmug.com/Gun-pix/i-ZVJTNJw/0/a1b13c39/L/IMG_20190207_155850_891-L.jpg
View Quote
Impressive!
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Nice MC job. Just did my first MC rifle in cerakote, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it with krylon either.

Pic thread:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Finished this today.

Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Rifle is cerakote, but TA33 is rattle canned.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll be honest, I actually love this. May have to get my competition AR cerakoted with cherry blossoms now to match my Beretta.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Beautiful, and yet, not any more complicated than some of the camo patterns we see here.  I'd like to see more non-camo artwork here.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By StraightMiataMan:
I'll be honest, I actually love this. May have to get my competition AR cerakoted with cherry blossoms now to match my Beretta.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StraightMiataMan:
You definitely should.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top