BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By treasurediver:

I noticed that before I purchased it and hoped for a threaded cap and an 18650, but unfortunately it’s not removable.

View Quote

Might try a water soak on that end to see if it's a rockset. If that doesn't work, put it in a ziplock bag and boil the end cap end enough to loosen thread locker and spin it out. It definitely looks to be an additional piece that's threaded in place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:

Might try a water soak on that end to see if it's a rockset. If that doesn't work, put it in a ziplock bag and boil the end cap end enough to loosen thread locker and spin it out. It definitely looks to be an additional piece that's threaded in place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Originally Posted By treasurediver:

I noticed that before I purchased it and hoped for a threaded cap and an 18650, but unfortunately it’s not removable.

Okay, couple of things but I will start off with this.  Yes the cap is removable, just a light grip with vise grips and it came off. There is a foam spacer on the bottom of what looks like a 18650 battery, but no contact with the bottom of the cell as there is a cardboard ring on the bottom under the heat shrink. I tapped the body on the table and the battery started to come out, but after roughly an inch it stopped. Definitely a wire connection to the battery, as I could feel it was kind of springy when pulled against it gently. So if I had to guess the cardboard spacer is actually protecting the bottom from contacting the body. So probably welded wire leads on the top of the cell one to the body and one to the + connection. The front of the body is held on with a couple of screws, so I bet it could be removed. That would give access to the connections on the battery, so with some simple surgery the battery is probably replaceable.

Lighting conditions rural heavy tree cover and, no moon but no clouds very clear sky. NVG was a mum 14 with a pretty good autogated tube that sees very well in the dark. No street lights with in a mile or 2, the town is several miles away so with no clouds there was no sky glow. I used the mum instead of a pvs14 because it was out and handy, I would also say this tube sees better in the dark than my 14 tubes, in my basement my 14's cant see anything really at all, but the mum can see a little bit. My basement has no windows or light at all except what come under the door.

Now for the thru night vision stuff, the laser is obviously visible at 100 yards, the illuminator is plenty bright for 100 yards. Its not causing any autogating, and splash back from trees is not causing a barrier to try to see thru even at 50 yards. I looked down my driveway that is heavily treed, and I could see the light in the trees, but could see the tree 100 yards away with no issue. So it is not a 300 yard illuminator, when there is lots of stuff to cause splash back. The spill pattern is very even, with a good hot spot thats probably 10 feet wide at 50 yards. If the hot spot was tighter it would probably work out to 150 yards, but the wide spill will tend to over power stuff at longer range when there is stuff to cause splash back.

Now walking down to my road, which is also heavy tree cover. No illum at all the mum was able to see the painted line down the road until the road curved about 250 yards. At the current lighting levels I could see the edge of the road, but not like it was more than just the edge of the road. A person even just standing on the side of road at 100 yards would have been invisible. Turn the thing on and a person standing there would have been visible at 250 yards, it lite the trees up at that distance with no issue. Again not over powering and causing any autogating. So in an open area 250 yards is easy, say maybe 300 if a totally open area with no moon or skyglow or anything to cause splash back.

At 20 feet it did autogate the tube, and cause a wall of light that the tube could not see thru when I looked at the woods up close.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
This sounds like a good option for a 9mm PCC or similar.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
This sounds like a good option for a 9mm PCC or similar.
View Quote

I am thinking about it living long term on my 300 blk. I am tempted to put one on my go-to AR, which currently has a vampire surefire and a lasermax ir with a pad. I like the ir laser max for the low foot print, I have 4 of em. Problem is I like having white light, but between one of these and a much cheaper surefire scout light it covers the bases well and much cheaper than a vampire.

I just ordered on of the one that takes 123 batteries, it will probably go on my main ar and replace the vampire and lasermax. That is if it holds up, then I will just throw a surefire scout for white light light.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

I am thinking about it living long term on my 300 blk. I am tempted to put one on my go-to AR, which currently has a vampire surefire and a lasermax ir with a pad. I like the ir laser max for the low foot print, I have 4 of em. Problem is I like having white light, but between one of these and a much cheaper surefire scout light it covers the bases well and much cheaper than a vampire.

I just ordered on of the one that takes 123 batteries, it will probably go on my main ar and replace the vampire and lasermax. That is if it holds up, then I will just throw a surefire scout for white light light.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. Mine's going on a 300blk 'bump in the night' gun. Time will tell on holding zero/durability, but for $80 it sounds like a steal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:50:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#6]
Kind of a bummer that the "box" unit doesn't have IR illuminator. (It's got green laser + IR-laser + white light.)

It occurred to me that the measurements are interesting: All these slightly-different form factors are basically coming off the rail the same by an inch (1.05", 1.1", .93"). They are all basically the same height (1.9" max - the others are "cut away", but when including the rail mount, they're all still the same height overall).

But for the length, the actual railspace it takes, the "box" is shorter by up to almost an inch. (4.7" for the 123A battery unit, 4.1" for the rechargeable MAWL-esque one OP posted about, but – only 3.8" long for the boxy one.)

The box has an optional remote button and increased switchable options such as brightness/power settings (looks like power settings are for the light only, not the lasers or the whole thing at once, though).

I assume there will be an IR Illumination version of the boxy one eventually. Considering if a remote switch and two lasers (IR and the addition of the green, but not slaved) in a slightly-shorter OAL worth another $50.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Did not see the “box” unit anywhere. Anyone have a link for the box or one with vis laser. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:35:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#8]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
Did not see the “box” unit anywhere. Anyone have a link for the box or one with vis laser. Thanks
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CZ3H3B6Z/?coliid=I2056QNG8SH0GR&colid=1IUO9XWJNSFKB&psc=0&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
(OEM's site shows it with a slightly different remote button)
http://defendtac.com/pd.jsp?id=53
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
After some delayed shipping from Amazon my rechargeable battery unit should be here today.  Looking forward to trying it out tonight.   Will still be a bit before I can take it out on the ranch and in the field and actually use it to see how it holds up.

For $80 I'm not expecting too much,  but from what you guys have stated I'm hoping to be surprised, and can use these on some other neglected night time guns...
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JestersHK:
After some delayed shipping from Amazon my rechargeable battery unit should be here today.  Looking forward to trying it out tonight.   Will still be a bit before I can take it out on the ranch and in the field and actually use it to see how it holds up.

For $80 I'm not expecting too much,  but from what you guys have stated I'm hoping to be surprised, and can use these on some other neglected night time guns...
View Quote

I initially bought for my .22 trainer and started this thread once it showed up and looked like a pretty decent unit for that role. However, now that it seems we have a few here who are going to mount it on centerfire guns, I’m curious as to how well it holds up. My primary carbine that I’ve ran hard uses a Streamlight TLR-VIR 2 and I trust it despite it being underpowered. I have a TLR-2 Eyesafe IR unit that is my ‘floating’ aiming/illumination IR module and a couple of Viridian Rail IR lasers that have been surprisingly durable. But if this Toughsoul unit can stand some abuse, I think I’ll be mounting one on my .300BLK.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Screw you guys, ordered. I figure if it’s terrible I’ll return it. If not I’ll get $80 on enjoyment out of it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
My replaceable battery one came today. Trying to figure out what it should go on, I do wish it had the mount like the rechargeable one. Yes I know I can get an adapter.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I decided fuck it, it's only 80 bucks if it goes wrong.

I took apart the front end of the rechargeable one. Yes it's an 18650 battery. I assume the power wires are welded to the battery but I was not gonna cut the heat shrink off.  But worse case is yes the battery could be replaced.

One thing is there is no seal on the front of the housing at all just the 3 screws hold it on. So at this point I would say it has no water proofing. All the circuitry is in the front end beyond the battery and the switches.  Should be able to seal it up some to at least limit the ability of water to get in.  But due to no front end of the battery compartment there is not an easy way to convert it to a easily replaceable battery.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:47:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#14]
My replaceable battery one came today. Trying to figure out what it should go on, I do wish it had the mount like the rechargeable one.
View Quote

So now you have both the rechargeable one as well as the one that uses a single 123a user-replaceable battery? Neat!

Will be interested to hear your feedback on which is brighter / longer distance / etc. based on the "160m flashlight and 1000m laser" vs. "240m flashlight and 2000m laser" claims made in the marketing photos I posted above.

I'd only really care about the MLOK+Pic mount if I was putting it on the top rail. Pretty much all my guns have MLOK sides, so why not save a little weight and "stick-outieness"...
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kel:

So now you have both the rechargeable one as well as the one that uses a single 123a user-replaceable battery? Neat!

Will be interested to hear your feedback on which is brighter / longer distance / etc. based on the "160m flashlight and 1000m laser" vs. "240m flashlight and 2000m laser" claims made in the marketing photos I posted above.

I'd only really care about the MLOK+Pic mount if I was putting it on the top rail. Pretty much all my guns have MLOK sides, so why not save a little weight and "stick-outieness"...
View Quote

nope the replaceable battery one takes 2 123's.

I will check them out side by side at some point in the next few days in the dark.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#16]
nope the replaceable battery one takes 2 123's.
View Quote

Gotcha. I was wondering about that: it is pictured with two batteries, but the specs on Amazon say
"Number of Batteries 1 CR123A batteries required. (Included)"
Weird they made it use 123As when they could have used a 18650, same as their other ones.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Yesterday there were 18 in stock, currently Amazon is saying there are only 5 left in stock.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my order delivered today.  Opened up the bigger than expected box and there lies an air filter for a 2016 Cadillac srx..  Hopefully amazon gets my replacement out before they are all gone...
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I got mine today. If I can find the time I'll do a side by size comparrison with a real MAWL and a fake MAWL. IIRC my fake MAWL cost more than the toughsoul unit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my order delivered today.  Opened up the bigger than expected box and there lies an air filter for a 2016 Cadillac srx..  Hopefully amazon gets my replacement out before they are all gone...
View Quote

Too bad it wasn’t a ‘fuel filter.’
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:54:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: treasurediver] [#21]
I did a 1 minute review. Bear with me it’s my first YouTube review. And first attempt at posting a video here.

Sorry, not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Here is the full link:
https://youtube.com/shorts/ay6yF0K_nKI?si=55diPEX1d54AwAOR

[youtube]shorts/ay6yF0K_nKI[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Haven't had the chance to test it under nods yet but I thought I'd share my first impressions.

Things I like:
+ seems well built, as others have mentioned it feels hefty but not overly so
+ similar form factor to a mawl
+ it's 80 freaking bucks

Things I don't like:
- There's no way to completely turn it 'off', so if you bump the buttons it's going to emit and possibly stay on (though there is a little red light to indicate that it's on if you're not looking at it under nods)
- proprietary charging, can't replace the battery (on my unit)
- it does the whole "hold down for momentary on" thing, a quick press will give you constant on (i prefer momentary only)
- it has a strobe mode - why do manufacturers insist on doing this?
- no option to reprogram the modes
- doesn't snug up against my unity hotbutton like a mawl does (so I have to swap out my vis light for an arisaka switch)
- doesn't look waterproof so I wouldn't run this in the rain

Time will tell if it holds zero, but like I said, for 80 bucks it's a great budget option
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Old School Tag - of interest!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By kel:

View Quote

Okay its raining so nothing but testing from the front porch.

Both lasers seem identical, like no clue which was which even when side by side.

The illuminator on both I would bet are the same led with about the same power, but. The replaceable battery one seems to have a slightly tighter hot spot, so it seems a little brighter. I am not talking anything to make you go wow, its more of a "I think it is lighting the trees at the bottom of the driveway a little more". I would place it in the manufacturing tolerances of the led and lens more than a brighter led, but with a sample of one each I dont know that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Notice how the Toughsoul doesn't clear my front sight post (they're Scalarworks Peak) so I have to put it further back on the rail, whereas the MAWL will happily ride all the way forward since it hangs off the rail a bit further.

After dorking with multiple configurations and multiple light switches I cannot find one that will fit on my 300blk, and I may have to get either a surefire CSM-07 or something that hangs off the MLOK rail at 10 o'clock. the unit sits so close even a low profile Arisaka light switch won't fit in there, though I suspect I could file down one of the side clamps to make it fit between the Toughsoul and the front sight post.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Hopefully amazon gets my replacement out before they are all gone...
View Quote

You will be fine. Looks like they restocked more. So don't worry about that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#27]
mine just showed up, of course it's stupid day time

Quick test with a SiOnyx camera in our interior bathroom (darkest room in the house) The laser is bright and has some spill, the light has a seemingly tight throw.

Charging it all the way up so I can dick around with it under PVS-14 tonight
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#28]
So speaking of the illuminator spill, since this is a relatively cheap unit, are there any stick-on or glue-on lenses to tighten up the beam patterns on these things?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MTNShewter:
So speaking of the illuminator spill, since this is a relatively cheap unit, are there any stick-on or glue-on lenses to tighten up the beam patterns on these things?
View Quote

Due to the way the lens housing is, it would not be hard to 3d print something to hold a lens. Taking a guess or two on focal length to the led would give a base line. Just start with one and try to move it away from the front of the unit, start a little short on the focal length. Moving it away, once you get close to a happy beam, order the lens with the new local length and make the 3d holder to hold it the right distance. You might even get lucky and force out the front of the unit and swap the lens out to the proper length.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:

My thoughts exactly. Mine's going on a 300blk 'bump in the night' gun. Time will tell on holding zero/durability, but for $80 it sounds like a steal.
View Quote

Okay I zeroed this to the scope on my match gas gun. I have a match in 2 weeks or so, so it will get a 100 round day getting bounced off a few things. Granted its not a long range zero its dead nuts on the reticle at 40 yards, anything over an inch or two of movement I should be able to tell.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine finally showed up from Amazon... I'll try to get some time in with it this weekend.

Overall first impressions, it feels well built,  button's are very tactile with good clicks, no cover on charge port so I'd be hesitant to use in rain as others mentioned.

Overall though for $80 it will ride on my dedicated .22 upper or maybe another 300BO rifle for a buddy.  I think I'll order a CR123 version as well to try.  Worse case they fail and get gobbled up by the ranch, but at that price point if I get a year out of them that'll be a win.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I got to mess with mine this morning, was t even dark when I went to bed. Anyway I like it for the price. The illuminator was decent enough at ~25 yards and worked great indoors, so I’m happy.

The laser was a god damn light saber! It was humid and thick so lots of time I could see the beam randomly but had no issue hitting things 500+ yards away. It hit anything reflective and went all over but I figured that would be the case.

Hopefully we get a clear night and I can try and light up the moon
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Switched lights on the rattler and I like this set up!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I am still trying to decide what unit to buy. Does anyone have one with a slaved Vis laser?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Wonder how it will like being baked by that can?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:59:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#36]
Got mine today. Put it on my 10/[22 Charger and took off the chunky SF Vamp and OTAL setup. Much sleeker and lighter. Tested it in my basement. img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img] Seemed to work nicely. Will have  to range test it later.

[img]https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481934/IMG_6998_jpeg-3208250.JPG[/img]

[img]https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481934/IMG_6997_jpeg-3208253.JPG[/img]

ETA: are those pictures showing? Uploaded pics and emojis are loading on my end.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Pics not showing or emojis.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#38]
Weird. They work in a new post.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone got any trigger time with these?  Do they hold zero?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Smokehouse_83:
View Quote

I've got about 50rnds through mine. Hardly a conclusive test, but it seems to be holding up for so far.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#41]
Originally Posted By Smokehouse_83:
View Quote

I will let you know in about an hour. I zeroed one to my scope. I shot a match with it on the gun today, about 120 rounds. Bumped in to an off a barricade or two, so not just bench shooting.

Okay just checked, at the 40-50 yards or so that I "calibrated" it to, it does not look like it moved.

The "calibration" was put a nod behind my scope on 3x with the reticle ilumen on NV mode and zero the laser to the reticle. I know its not an actual zero but it whats I could do at the house. So after the match it did not move enough to be measurable to the reticle at that distance.

Again not a perfect test, or even a great one but its a start of a test. But it held up to 120 rounds and probably a few impacts, and did not move enough to see that it had moved.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#42]
"I can’t wait to shoot it and see if it holds zero"

The entire crux of these cheap immitations is this issue yet you didnt even try it yet?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Dace:
"I can’t wait to shoot it and see if it holds zero"

The entire crux of these cheap immitations is this issue yet you didnt even try it yet?
View Quote

Yup, I agree but I have also seen a few reports of mawls, dbals etc not hold zero either. and at 1200-3000 they sure as hell should hold zero. It would be awesome if an 80 buck, and from what I can tell pretty well made, ir laser actually held zero. And the only way to find out is to test it. I will say from the dbals I have handled this one feels and looks like it is better made.

I have 5 of the lasermax uni ir, 3 of them on rifles with touch pads, and they have all held zero. Some of them well over 1k rounds on both 5.56 and 300. The most I have paid for one was iirc 125.
Link Posted: Today 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Some longer range tests, with pics. of the battery swapable unit.

Same mum as I used before, moon in the sky 23% of it ( per Google ), some very minor hazey clouds. Taken at a park near my house, no lighting at all.

The distance to the near woods line is 250 yards, pics dont show it all that well but it was a usable amount of ir. Thru the mum I could see the light and the tree better than with out. The far wood line is 400 yards away, and I could see the ir on the trees. It really was not doing much but was doing something, on a night with no moon it would have certainly been the only way to see anything at that distance.

First pic is no ir help at all, second one is with it on. Sorry just holding my phone to the eye piece.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top