Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Subscribed and bump for interest, I have both a PERST 3 and 4, but the 4 has been my primary concern for resolving my issue of incompatibility with dual lead switches to work in conjunction with a Surefire Vampire IR lamp.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Would anyone be willing to send me the KV-D2P (Button/Dial/Lock) switch ahead of payment to open up and verify they will fit in the assembly? I only have the KV-D2 (Button + Dial) and since it appears 50% of you have a lock bar I would like to make sure I can fit that in the assembly.

Once I take orders you can pay and will be first shipped out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Or if someone has a spare of this model I will buy it off you so I can verify fit.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cryesncoding:
Would anyone be willing to send me the KV-D2P (Button/Dial/Lock) switch ahead of payment to open up and verify they will fit in the assembly? I only have the KV-D2 (Button + Dial) and since it appears 50% of you have a lock bar I would like to make sure I can fit that in the assembly.

Once I take orders you can pay and will be first shipped out.
View Quote

Or if someone has a spare of this model I will buy it off you so I can verify fit.

Thanks
View Quote

Let me double check what bits I have in the P2 and P3 boxes this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Any luck? Anyone else willing to sell me there’s or send it in early? I’m about ready to send out the first prototype for CNC and would hate to realize that lock assembly can’t fit and have to scramble to redesign once I have switches and peoples money in hand.

My pro mount flashlight came in and although it is a cool mounting solution I don’t believe it can be CNCd where it needs to for our purpose or not easily so just sticking with the old scout/modlight mounts. I ordered a few more from arisaka to test various ones for fit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Any luck? Anyone else willing to sell me there’s or send it in early? I’m about ready to send out the first prototype for CNC and would hate to realize that lock assembly can’t fit and have to scramble to redesign once I have switches and peoples money in hand.

My pro mount flashlight came in and although it is a cool mounting solution I don’t believe it can be CNCd where it needs to for our purpose or not easily so just sticking with the old scout/modlight mounts. I ordered a few more from arisaka to test various ones for fit.
View Quote

Apologies...totally forgot about it when I found out my kitchen faucet shit the bed Saturday morning. I'll try to look tonight
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn that sucks sorry man hope it was a easy cheap fix. Thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 4:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#8]
Okay, I have 2 P2s and a P3 which don’t have a Gen marking on the case, and 2 P3s which came in cases I believe are marked Gen 3. All are green+ viz, if that matters.

Attachment Attached File

Here are the two switches with each P2

Attachment Attached File

Here is the non-Gen marked P3 switch

Attachment Attached File

And this weird bastard with the Gen 3 P3s

Attachment Attached File

Let me know how I can help
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang, and I thought I had a lot of Persts @ 6

I use pretty much all of them without switches, just the on-body controls, so a switch or 2 wouldn't be missed
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:19:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#10]
Originally Posted By H4ppyB34r:
Dang, and I thought I had a lot of Persts @ 6

I use pretty much all of them without switches, just the on-body controls, so a switch or 2 wouldn't be missed
View Quote

I do the same using the onboard buttons, either because of rail estate limitations or ergonomics based on HG diameter and me having limited pronation and supination in my left arm. I can’t do the C clamp thing, but have longer thumbs and can get to the rear button on a top mounted PERST fairly easily with a stubby VFG.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#11]

upload img online

Damn that looks like a Gen 2 switch body that works for a gen 3? That will be way too long to fit currently so I would need to open that up and make a longer assembly for those.

I'm looking for this one aswell if anyone has it

https://ivantactical.com/shop/weapon-accessories/flashlights-and-accessories/accesories/zenitco-kv-d2p-remote-pressure-switch/

Current state of the prototypes, Plastic 3d Print of the threads is finally coming to verify Tail cap fit. Waiting on Arisaka mounts to measure with Calipers and verify the assemblies will fit their different mounting options. As soon as this is done I will get these sent out for machining and assemble them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Tail cap fit!

Arisaka screws don’t quite fit in my thread gauge (these non standard TPIs are getting annoying lol) emailed arisaka for help on this hopefully they get back to me, if not I’ll get my measurements as accurate as possible and do some slight changes and send to machining and if it’s wrong go from there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to be a downer, but again, there’s several features of the above pics that aren’t machinable either. Keeping them 3D printed might be an option. Also, there’s lots of machine shops online with really good quoting software. When you upload your models for a quote, some of them automatically flag and illustrate the features that can’t be machined. It would probably save you some headache to use them first to get the details sorted.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Aight well I’ll work with my machinist on it this week and get something figured out. Looks like I need a crash course in machining aswell lol
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Good effort OP, keep pushing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#16]
@CJofFL

If I did 3D print these what plastic/material would be a acceptable durable option on a firearm? PLA even with high infill I have no idea how it would do with abuse and heat, just getting into the manufacturing realm . Really appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:03:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#17]
First and foremost, I don’t know the answer... but that’s a loaded question too. Meaning when one knows the properties of the material, they could design the part with them in mind and have an acceptable result. A few thoughts: 3D Printing is so cheap and fast, it’s efficient to test/destruction test parts and metals are available too. I’d suggest looking at other parts suppliers for similar items and seeing what they’re made of to guide you in the right direction.

I can probably answer machinability questions, but the best bet is to use the online quoting software that illustrates issues automatically.

Edited to add: if those are Scout type mounting bosses, no printed plastic will suffice for the threads that I’m aware of. That said, maybe a nut holder recess like Magpul’s polymer rear sights would work?
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 3:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#18]
I was just thinking how Ironic it is that there are probably more PERSTs in the hands of private Americans than in all of the Russian military.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Any Persts they had are now Ukrainian lol
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#20]
@CjofFl thanks for input and very true on the designing around materials point.

Still waiting on machinist to get back to me was supposed to look at the Gen 2 and 3 today to figure out how to make them machinable. Tempted to have them 3D printed out of aluminum to get a working proto but that’s a bit expensive off craft cloud for ultimately what won’t be the design.

But we’re getting closer, I’m shooting for end of Nov to start taking orders after I move in to my new house and get sufficient testing on the prototypes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a KV-D2P switch, but if you are trying to run 2 devises why not use KV-3/2P tactical switch. Sorry if  this sounds stupid but I am an newbie. I have a perst 4 gen 3 that i run a klesch IR light and would rather run a sure fire white-IR light.  Let me know if that switch will help?

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#22]
For the reason on page 1, I wrote out why the Gen 3 Persts cannot be spliced. I could potentially mod that switch type into a new body with multiple crane plugs but that would require extra work and unless there’s a lot of interest in it I will just be sticking with these 2 models.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:11:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#23]
Alright in process of moving to new job now will be starting the 21st and working on the CNC. From talking with our machinist (which I’m going to be learning how to do when I get there) this part is difficult and requires redesign which I’m not quite sure still what aspects aren’t machinable and all the fixtures etc I may need to make it work. So going to get some plastic prototypes made with like 80% infill and use threaded inserts (will beef up around the insert) and see how those do with recoil and some destructive abuse testing as a possible solution.

Thank you everyone for your patience.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Tagged for interest
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Still in Development, just getting settled in at new job. and moved to family to house. Currently working on the laser/punch and robot press brake so didn’t get started working on mil as I had hoped. Have some 3D prints coming to verify my current designs fit and function and going to figure out where I can send out for multi axis machining and get a quote for 6061 aluminum.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Alright plastic prints showed up really happy with these, Gen 2 fits both mounts and the gasket fits perfect, Gen 3 fits perfect aswell but there’s some poor print quality I need to sand which is why I didn’t force the second screw in. PCB for Gen 3 fits exactly how I want with some extra length if required for the lock bar version of switch. But appears all Arisaka scout mounts should fit. Gunna make these working demos and post online after the new year while waiting on making them out of aluminum.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Very compelling thread. I would love to have one of these to use in conjunction with a taps sync once you iron out all the kinks.
I hope this is not too off topic, but seeing as how you've opened up these switches to see how they work- do you think the opposite of your project is possible? That is, to convert a Zenitco dual switch (KV-D3/2P) to use a surefire male plug? I actually prefer the Russian switches and have one laying around- the only problem is now I have to use a Zenitco light instead of my Malkoff if I am to use the switch with my Perst-3.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Hmm anything is possible lol, but that may be difficult especially because I have to break into the tape switch so I’d probably need to CNC a new top half an epoxy it back together would be interested in looking into it and trying after I get these 2 models rolling and get some income coming in tho if the market is there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:03:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#30]
Trying to figure out getting these made out of aluminum for CNC it requires a few set ups so low run of these is insanely expensive to get us started. 3D printing aluminum in US is also too expensive for sale.

Changing the poll to gauge interest of those still following to purchase to see who all actually wants to buy one to see if Its worth it to push for a bulk order for the assemblies or if I need to continue the slow roll until I can mill it myself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Learning CAM now I’ll post again once I have the 6065 prototypes made.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 1:38:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#32]
I no longer have a PERST, but the problem OP is developing a solution for is part of why I got rid of mine once I realized I needed to control the white light and laser together, but also needed something with IR illumination.

Love seeing this kinda stuff, keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#33]
CAM (the programming for machining) is coming along well on the Gen 3 hopefully no major road blocks and I can finish quickly and then just need to order some new tooling. I apologize for the delay been learning all the other machines at work first and getting settled in to new job/house/move. and I’m finally able to learn how to use Fusion 360 CAM and start using the Mill.

Looked into having them made and quotes for US based machining and aluminum 3D printing were ridiculous. There will be a little redesign to simplify machining will show when I’m done. I do think after I make this prototype and can get a legitimate estimate we all (those actually interested) will have to evaluate the price point for a aluminum part vs partially 3D printed with a thread insert plate. It is looking like it is a time consuming design due to requiring 3 set ups and I don’t want this to be ridiculously expensive for essentially just an adapter. My goal is to make it out of aluminum affordably and will continue to pursue that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:37:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#34]

CAM is done
working with our machinist on the speeds and feeds when he's free and ordering some new tooling hoping to have something in the real world to show in the next week! Also as you can see did a bit of a redesign of the tail cap area to ease machining, total time is down significantly getting rid of all the rounded edges.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:24:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jcoll84] [#35]
Good job on the progress! Looking forward to trying one out. I lucked out and got a 2nd switch for the perst-3 to use as a donor when zenitco sent me a new perst when I warrantied my original.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Tools ordered! Buttoning up the programming and working on a lid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Just waiting for some time I can use the CNC for this project currently in high demand at work but special tools have arrived and now we wait. " />
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Making progress

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:23:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#40]
Need to adjust/fix some tool paths and finish the fixtures to make these for production and machine the lid but really happy with the first thing I ever designed and machined!

Thanks for everyone’s patience and interest

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:45:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Ost
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#42]
For what it's worth you could just print the housings yourself on a 3d printer.  If you used nylonx it would be very durable and withstand heat.  You referred to pla, that would not work imo simply due to low heat tolerance.

Nylonx is sold for $58 for 500 grams.  Those tiny little switch bodies would probably use less than 50 grams with suitable walls and infill.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m gunna have to get a 3D printer anyway for some associated internal retainer parts. I may have to try and see how it does and how much it’ll reduce cost since I’m basically done with the front end design and CAM and the raw aluminum cost is cheap but would remove my CNC time and anodizing maybe I can make a more economical model out of plastic and see which has more demand or if both are wanted. Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Is there interest in a cheaper durable 3D printed version aswell for the gen3?  (I don’t know the exact costs yet but it’ll be cheaper printed for sure) will do excessive destructive testing prior to selling.

I think the Gen 2 will be primarily 3D printed since there’s no PCB housing I don’t see why a CF nylon or ASA blend (doing a materials deep dive currently to determine what is best) would not be fully sufficient with a thread insert and also aluminum can be done if sufficient interest, I should be able to mail those direct with the tail cap soldered and installed for a simple heat gun wire connection to save you guys money on shipping to me if you so choose or I can do it if preferred.

Should get a production prototype done in next day or so to send out for type 3 hard anodizing and a quote on what that’ll cost.

The lid for the PCB housing I am switching to sheet 6061 aluminum to save on mill time to keep cost down
I may also offer it with a 3D printed lid if the aesthetic is preferred.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Is there interest in a cheaper durable 3D printed version aswell for the gen3?  (I don’t know the exact costs yet but it’ll be cheaper printed for sure) will do excessive destructive testing prior to selling.

I think the Gen 2 will be primarily 3D printed since there’s no PCB housing I don’t see why a CF nylon or ASA blend (doing a materials deep dive currently to determine what is best) would not be fully sufficient with a thread insert and also aluminum can be done if sufficient interest, I should be able to mail those direct with the tail cap soldered and installed for a simple heat gun wire connection to save you guys money on shipping to me if you so choose or I can do it if preferred.

Should get a production prototype done in next day or so to send out for type 3 hard anodizing and a quote on what that’ll cost.

The lid for the PCB housing I am switching to sheet 6061 aluminum to save on mill time to keep cost down
I may also offer it with a 3D printed lid if the aesthetic is preferred.  
View Quote

Not gonna lie, I’ve kinda lost track on what parts you’re building and how they’ll interact with what we already have. Any chance you can show a prototype with the PERST switch actually installed or how it would arrive and what we’d need to do upon arrival.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah I can do that I just ordered a 3D printer so I can make a Gen 2 on there out of PLA or something while I’m waiting for the CF related parts and filament and make some functional prototypes for the Gen 2 and 3
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Going with American made glass filled Nylon 12 waiting on filament for 3D printed versions. Seems to be the best option before the filaments get insanely expensive and require much more expensive technical printers. Got a Bambu labs printer this week so should be pretty smooth getting these going with consistent quality prints. Changing some geometries to allow threaded inserts and more material to ensure these are bomb proof parts. Planning to open up for some beta testers soon on polymer versions. Preferably people that can/will run them hard to help find any potential issues.

Still trying to get the 6061 aluminum version done and to type 3 hard anodizing but the hold up is my jobs machine shop is way behind so I’m not able to take the mill consistently yet and outsourcing domestically makes this a more expensive part/service than I would like, so I'm doing what I can to keep the price in check but taking longer than I’d like. Which is why I am hoping the 3D printed versions will be affordable and with the material selected very durable and those that want to pay the premium for aluminum have that option.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#48]
"There comes a point in every project when you have to shoot the engineers and put the product into production."

We’re getting close guys, I’m testing out some variants in PLA since I’ve changed some of the features to be stronger for the polymer material. Then will make them out of the production material and destroy a few to determine which is best and we’ll go with that.

Really happy with the first variant I printed off yesterday with solid 316 stainless threaded inserts I think everyone will be very happy with the polymer version it will be a tank.

Excited about the second version I’m drawing up now that *will* have a modular mounting base since it’s realistically the only point of the design that could change or need servicing it makes sense to try and see if it can be swapped at the user level easily so hoping that version does well in testing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Excited to see the project!
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Excited too. I'm in for one.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top