User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I realize that cold weather can play hell with batteries, but is this something else the MAWL is notorious for?

View Quote

Detent on the propeller cap gets stuck. Adding lubricant seems to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

right - then why does this one do so?
View Quote

@heron163 No idea.You might want to call BE Meyers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I think BEM fixed this issue, at least in production. I have a MAWL-DA that’s a 09/21 DOM and I’ve had the same battery in it since I got it. I purchased the 2x AA end cap for it to house 2 batteries when I first got it in case that was an issue but I’m still on the 1st battery at the time of this post. If you have a unit that eats 123s I’d be calling BEM and making them fix it before your warranty expires and then they’ll be much less apt to help you. Not that they won’t, but better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you have a unit that eats 123s I’d be calling BEM and making them fix it before your warranty expires and then they’ll be much less apt to help you. Not that they won’t, but better to be safe than sorry.
View Quote

At what rate would you consider it faulty? I went through my first 2 batteries around 3-4 months with very little use. Lost track of my last battery change, but at this point and through others' experiences, I've accepted this as the norm.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

At what rate would you consider it faulty? I went through my first 2 batteries around 3-4 months with very little use. Lost track of my last battery change, but at this point and through others' experiences, I've accepted this as the norm.
View Quote

That's what mine was, I called them and they supposedly fixed it.  Still waiting on it to get back and put a battery in and play the waiting game.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would consider that faulty. I use mine about once every 2 weeks for about 3 hrs of training and it actually just died on my the day after I posted on here ?? the cold weather may have contributed to that. Regardless, with that said remember, mine is also a DA and has a lot higher output. I’d see about getting it sent in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my MAWL back from BE Meyers this evening.  I put in a fresh CR123 and now to wait and see.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone posted a video on the Night Vision User Group 2.0 Facebook group of his MAWL with parasitic drain. While the unit was turned off, you could see the indicator lights flash under NODs in a dark room. The flash was not visible without NODs. The unit no longer flashed when turned off once he got it back from BE Meyers for the warranty repair.

Several other people chimed in after checking their units, and those with parasitic drain also saw the flashing under NODs when the unit was powered off. Looked like most had a 10/2020 date if manufacturers.

Here's some screenshots of the post for those without FB. Even managed a shot of the video with the indicator light blinked on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I checked my MAWL manufactured 8/2021, and it did not have the blinking. I've only had it a month, so I don't know if it has any parasitic drain.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Someone posted a video on the Night Vision User Group 2.0 Facebook group of his MAWL with parasitic drain. While the unit was turned off, you could see the indicator lights flash under NODs in a dark room. The flash was not visible without NODs. The unit no longer flashed when turned off once he got it back from BE Meyers for the warranty repair.
View Quote

Huh, thats interesting. I didn't get to check my MAWL-C1's LED light to see if it had a faint glow under my PVS-14 before I sent it off to BEM. I'll see if my returned one from the repairs shows that anomoly and I'll check my brand new ODG one DOM of 10/2021.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine was manufactured in 10/21. Bought it directly from BE Meyer. When it arrived the propeller cap was stuck and would not turn. I emailed them and the reply I got was a drop of oil to the detent plunger. Mine has the parasitic drain and I screwed around procrastinating not realizing the warranty was only one year. Sucks to be me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mine was manufactured in 10/21. Bought it directly from BE Meyer. When it arrived the propeller cap was stuck and would not turn. I emailed them and the reply I got was a drop of oil to the detent plunger. Mine has the parasitic drain and I screwed around procrastinating not realizing the warranty was only one year. Sucks to be me.
View Quote

I assume you meant "10/20", becuase if it was in 2021 you would still be in the warranty. But regardless, I don't know if its a case by case situation but when I sent my MAWL-C1 DOM: 07/2020, they covered the RMA repair and didn't charge me anything.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, 10/20.
And thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Several other people chimed in after checking their units, and those with parasitic drain also saw the flashing under NODs when the unit was powered off. Looked like most had a 10/2020 date if manufacturers.

Here's some screenshots of the post for those without FB. Even managed a shot of the video with the indicator light blinked on.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44195/BE757EF1-BC4D-4995-A1AE-7042839B3942_png-2274315.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44195/E802005C-211B-4250-B657-C3BEFABA9C0D_png-2274316.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44195/78E62147-48F2-4700-A933-F344DA314B11_png-2274318.JPG

I checked my MAWL manufactured 8/2021, and it did not have the blinking. I've only had it a month, so I don't know if it has any parasitic drain.
View Quote

That is interesting, my DOM is 11/2020.  I wonder how long this issue lasted for?  Now that it's fixed, I will be keeping a close eye on it, hopefully I can leave a battery in it now without it being dead the next time I take the rifle out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep, 10/20.
And thanks for the info.
View Quote

@wriggly

That was my DOM and they stilled fixed mine for me, it was slightly out of the 1 year window.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44195/BE757EF1-BC4D-4995-A1AE-7042839B3942_png-2274315.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44195/E802005C-211B-4250-B657-C3BEFABA9C0D_png-2274316.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44195/78E62147-48F2-4700-A933-F344DA314B11_png-2274318.JPG

View Quote

Great info, I have to check mine thoroughly since I never noticed it flickering in the iff position before. Im also going to do a drain test to see how long a new battery will last
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Huh, thats interesting. I didn't get to check my MAWL-C1's LED light to see if it had a faint glow under my PVS-14 before I sent it off to BEM. I'll see if my returned one from the repairs shows that anomoly and I'll check my brand new ODG one DOM of 10/2021.
View Quote

Well I finally got time to check my MAWLs, my RMA'd MAWL DOM: 07-2020 did not have a faint glowing LED light while in the OFF position, and my ODG MAWL DOM: 10-2021 also did not have a faint glowing LED light while in the OFF position.
I hope we can get others to check their MAWLs especially if they haven't got an RMA service done on their MAWL yet.
Still waiting to see if my battery is dead by the 7-8th week, so far its been almost 4 weeks since I got it back and the battery life is still good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine definitely has the parasitic drain. Checked it in the off position under Nods tonight in a dark room. No flashing lights.

Thinking on this further, I wonder if the propeller cap functions as the switch magnetically or if the detent plunger is the switch?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Answered my curiosity about the switching. There’s two tiny magnets embedded into the back side of the propeller cap for the visible and IR lasers to be activated.
It would be nice to know exactly how BEM is isolating the parasitic draw issue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It would be nice to know exactly how BEM is isolating the parasitic draw issue.
View Quote

Would be nice to know, but they can't discuss it. Someone posted a response earlier.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/MAWL-parasitic-drain-/18-530912/?page=1#i5621437
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I went to test my unit out tonight and the battery was dead. Swapped a new battery and found out it had the indicator flashing in off position. Manufacture date 02-2021.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an X1 and it doesn't have a flashing indicator light.

I will check the battery periodically for parasitic drain.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got my MAWL back from BE Meyers this evening.  I put in a fresh CR123 and now to wait and see.
View Quote

4 weeks later. I function tested it after receiving it back, but other than that it has been sitting in my safe in the off position.

I purchased a battery tester from amazon to check the charge of the CR123 in my MAWL.  It reported 17/18 bars or ~94% charge remaining after 4 weeks.  I can't say for certain but that does seem better than it was previously.  I will update this thread in another month, I expect then will be much more conclusive on results of the warranty work.  Before a battery would not last 2 months in the unit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

4 weeks later. I function tested it after receiving it back, but other than that it has been sitting in my safe in the off position.

I purchased a battery tester from amazon to check the charge of the CR123 in my MAWL.  It reported 17/18 bars or ~94% charge remaining after 4 weeks.  I can't say for certain but that does seem better than it was previously.  I will update this thread in another month, I expect then will be much more conclusive on results of the warranty work.  Before a battery would not last 2 months in the unit.
View Quote

That's good to hear, what battery tester did you buy I would like to have one so I can test my batteries.
Right now this is almost the 8th week (2 months) mark for my returned MAWL and so far the battery is holding strong but I don't have a battery tester to give me a power reading. I'll update when I get a tester and when the 8th week has pass this is where my original MAWL would have its battery drained.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's good to hear, what battery tester did you buy I would like to have one so I can test my batteries.
Right now this is almost the 8th week (2 months) mark for my returned MAWL and so far the battery is holding strong but I don't have a battery tester to give me a power reading. I'll update when I get a tester and when the 8th week has pass this is where my original MAWL would have its battery drained.
View Quote

I went with this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KK7FEY?tag=arfcom00-20

I can't vouch for its accuracy, I decided to pick it up to appease my curiosity as I waited.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can't vouch for its accuracy, I decided to pick it up to appease my curiosity as I waited.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll order that to get a consistent tester and see if we get the same reading.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got the battery tester today and tested the Panasonic CR123A battery in my MAWL (DOM 07/2020) that was RMA'd from BEM and I have about 4 days to go for it to be 8 weeks and the battery was showing 18/18 bars on the battery tester. I've zeroed my MAWL after getting it back from BEM and the MAWL was still in the ON position while I was driving home from the range trip I forgot the switch the propeller to the OFF position, so the battery has been used and quite often too since I tested the battery life by firing off the vis laser once a week to test the battery life until I got this battery tester. Preliminary results to me shows that BEM fixed the parasitic battery drain that my MAWL exhibited.
I also tested the CR123A in my other MAWL ODG (DOM 10-2021) and this battery life was 17/18 bars but this one had its battery installed on 11/30/2021 which was the day I received this MAWL and I have been using it more often while the other MAWL was RMA'd. This also seems to show that the MAWL's parasitic drain seems to be remedied/fixed in the latest production dates.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#27]
A multimeter will give you a numerical output so you can have a more accurate measurement.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A multimeter will give you a numerical output so you can have a more accurate measurement.
View Quote

I wanted to use a multimeter but I didn't own one and so I went to a local harbor freight to get  simple one and that was a dud. So I bought one on Amazon with a good amount of user ratings and it arrived today. I tested with the multimeter and the battery in my RMA MAWL (DOM 07/2020) registered 3.0v and the battery in my ODG MAWL (DOM 10-2021) registered 2.99v.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wanted to use a multimeter but I didn't own one and so I went to a local harbor freight to get  simple one and that was a dud. So I bought one on Amazon with a good amount of user ratings and it arrived today. I tested with the multimeter and the battery in my RMA MAWL (DOM 07/2020) registered 3.0v and the battery in my ODG MAWL (DOM 10-2021) registered 2.99v.
View Quote

Which multimeter did go with?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Which multimeter did go with?
View Quote

This was the multimeter I bought, it was the first one that came up on a search on Amazon and it had a high rating and inexpensive enough, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ISAMUA6. I would have expected a basic multimeter from harbor freight to work on a simple voltage measurement on a battery but I guess you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I need to stop being lazy and disconnect batteries on hunting rigs based off this advice. I hunt almost weekly, but if not within the next 24 hrs I should disconnect.  

Thanks Auggee
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This was the multimeter I bought, it was the first one that came up on a search on Amazon and it had a high rating and inexpensive enough, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ISAMUA6. I would have expected a basic multimeter from harbor freight to work on a simple voltage measurement on a battery but I guess you get what you pay for.
View Quote

Just a heads up.  Since CR123's are lithium batteries they show a pretty constant Voltage reading until they are dead.  So you aren't gaining much information other than "the battery still has a charge".
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just a heads up.  Since CR123's are lithium batteries they show a pretty constant Voltage reading until they are dead.  So you aren't gaining much information other than "the battery still has a charge".
View Quote

That's good to know, I didn't know about that, I'm not much of an electrical guy.
In any case, its been 8 weeks (2 months) now and my battery is still strong and powers up my RMA'd MAWL and the vis laser is not blinking and the LED indicator is not blinking showing its a low battery.
I think I can safely say BEM has fixed the parasitic drain issue my MAWL exhibited. Testing the battery with the battery tester and multimeter shows the same results I mentioned in several previous posts.

If anyone has noticed a parasitic draining with their MAWL I would highly recommend you contact BEM and see if they will resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I've heard complaints about parasitic drain with every brand. Personally haven't ever had a LAM drain before I change the batteries (About once a year, sometimes longer). That's with steiner and holosun. Any others I've had I didn't hang on to long enough to see. Never had a MAWL.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Both of my MAWL's have the drain.  They won't last more than a few weeks stored in the off position.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Both of my MAWL's have the drain.  They won't last more than a few weeks stored in the off position.
View Quote

To help out with analytics, what are the manufacture date of the units?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3/11/2021 & 4/15/2021 were the inspection dates.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

3/11/2021 & 4/15/2021 were the inspection dates.
View Quote

Same & mine were manufactured right around that same timeframe as well. I'm calling them next week to see if I can send them in for repair if they finally have the fix because this really is ridiculous. One of my units appears to be worse than the other and will consistently eat a battery in about 4-6 weeks, stored in the "off" position.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#39]
How do you all get service for your MAWLs?  They never responded to my inquiry on their website.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How do you all get service for your MAWLs?  They never responded to my inquiry on their website.
View Quote

I did that also, and after like 3-5 days of no reply I decided to call their customer support phone number and asked to transfer over to the technical support side.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought an OD green unit directly from B.E. Meyers. I usually always remove the battery before storing the rifle but I have been left it in since purchasing it to see if I had an issue. Been about a month now and no evidence of parasitic drain (11/21 DOB). It has now been over a month so I think I am good...
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Post 8 week update from being RMA'd by BE Meyers.

I took the MAWL out a few weeks ago, used it for a few minutes under nods, but nothing crazy.  Tested the battery again and it was showing 17/18 bars of strength.  I can confidently say the issue is resolved and much better than what I was previously experiencing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I decided to verify whether or not my MAWL has parasitic  drain or not and share my findings
Type: Gen 2 Mawl with the removable battery cap and fixed propeller. Purchaced date @ Nov 2017 new from a dealer/vendor

Battery: SureFire CR123A.
Unit in Off position with no pressure pad

Reading date/ Voltage reading
11APR22.                3.2VDC
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top