Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been very impressed with this little thing, probably going to order another one for a dedicated NV P320 setup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Can someone measure the distance from the rear of the light to the 1913 insert?  I bought an Olight for my M&P 22C but it didn't fit because the rear of the light hit the trigger guard before the 1913 rail could mate up.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can someone measure the distance from the rear of the light to the 1913 insert?  I bought an Olight for my M&P 22C but it didn't fit because the rear of the light hit the trigger guard before the 1913 rail could mate up.

https://i.imgur.com/nbq08Gx.jpg
View Quote

I just ordered one yesterday.  I am super glad I did, based on reading this thread.

-Cav
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you have more detailed pics. Id be interested...
View Quote

@SGT-Fish

i will try and get some decent pics of my mickey moused handywork later
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered a FDE one on the 19th, I hope it shows up soon!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/nbq08Gx.jpg
View Quote

Mine came with several inserts including 2 1913 to change positioning relative to the guard
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:41:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Where's the best price on these right now? Best I'm seeing is ~$316 shipped
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I got one and it doesn’t seem to have much down adjustment in elevation for the laser.

It lines up with red dot at 10-15 feet and at 20-25 yards it’s roughly 2-3 feet higher than the poi, no more elevation adjustment available.

The laser and Illuminator look nice though.

It’s mounted on a g19 gen4
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where's the best price on these right now? Best I'm seeing is ~$316 shipped
View Quote

@fmj_shooter

$293 at BDU.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, I got one and it doesn’t seem to have much down adjustment in elevation for the laser.

It lines up with red dot at 10-15 feet and at 20-25 yards it’s roughly 2-3 feet higher than the poi, no more elevation adjustment available.

View Quote

Theres a warning in the instructions about 1 direction of adjustment becoming bound. It says to back off the other adjustment a bit (windage in this case) and see if that frees up the elevation.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Theres a warning in the instructions about 1 direction of adjustment becoming bound. It says to back off the other adjustment a bit (windage in this case) and see if that frees up the elevation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must have skipped that part because I'm having a similar issue, but only 5 inches low at 15. I'll have to try it.
thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks, I’ll give it a try
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mine came with several inserts including 2 1913 to change positioning relative to the guard
View Quote

Could I trouble you for a pic or a measurement?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can do both. I measured from the back of the lug to the front of the key as seen in the 3rd picture.

Came with 3 inserts after looking, 1913-1, 1913-2, and Universal (Glock gen3 I believe). and some inert place holder?

The 1913-1 is aprox as it's pain in butt to swap these keys

1913-2

The 1913-1 is for Glocks with 1913 rails. The 1913-2 on a Glock 45 was way too far forward.

1913-1 on a Glock 45

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Detailed info above, but the short answer is the 1913-2 will move the body of the light slightly forward on the rail compared to the 1913-1 which is what comes installed. Did yours not come with the extra keys?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Detailed info above, but the short answer is the 1913-2 will move the body of the light slightly forward on the rail compared to the 1913-1 which is what comes installed. Did yours not come with the extra keys?
View Quote

I don't own one.  I'm a prospective buyer.  As I said above, I bought an Olight for my M&P 22C but it didn't fit because the rear of the light hit the trigger guard before the 1913 rail could mate up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I can do both. I measured from the back of the lug to the front of the key as seen in the 3rd picture.

Came with 3 inserts after looking, 1913-1, 1913-2, and Universal (Glock gen3 I believe). and some inert place holder?

http://i.imgur.com/76334Z9h.jpg

The 1913-1 is aprox as it's pain in butt to swap these keys

http://i.imgur.com/4Y8x2pYh.jpg

1913-2

http://i.imgur.com/FpMR5nNh.jpg

The 1913-1 is for Glocks with 1913 rails. The 1913-2 on a Glock 45 was way too far forward.

1913-1 on a Glock 45

http://i.imgur.com/GI1AAITh.jpg?1
View Quote

Fuckin tight, dude.  Thanks so much for doing this.  I will measure my pistol and report that data back here.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I am loving the shit out of the one I just got.  I've got it on a Ruger 57 that I have really taken a shine to.  After owning well over 150 IR lasers of various types, I can say this one is definitely a keeper in my book [img]/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img The white light is plenty bright for a pistol distances in case the 300 lumen rating is holding anyone back.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fuckin tight, dude.  Thanks so much for doing this.  I will measure my pistol and report that data back here.
View Quote

No problem.
Thinking of getting myself a second one
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Streamlight TLR-VIR II Weapon Light
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#21]
cool video. the illuminator beam on that x400v is pretty sweet at 50 yards.

I wonder if an aimpoint in a 1.93 mount would be obstructed by the laser on top of the x400....

The VIR is all spill, no throw. I like mine for indoors, etc. But it really leaves a lot to be desired at any distance.

No illuminator
Attachment Attached File

VIR II
Attachment Attached File

X400V
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, on Wednesday night I accidentally dropped mine ~3 ft onto steel then it bounced off and landed on concrete.  It impacted on the left side of the light body, based on the scuffs.  I checked zero on it tonight, no change  While this doesn't necessarily prove anything, it did boost my confidence in its ruggedness.  I have also grown pretty fond of its switchology.  I've got another on the way and may wind up needing a third.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#23]
The beam divergence is ridiculous compared to a MAWL or DBAL D2...maybe good for a pistol but weak for a rifle imo.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 1:48:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wonder if an aimpoint in a 1.93 mount would be obstructed by the laser on top of the x400....

The VIR is all spill, no throw. I like mine for indoors, etc. But it really leaves a lot to be desired at any distance.

No illuminator
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screen_Shot_2021-03-14_at_8_58_04_PM_png-1866169.JPG

VIR II
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screen_Shot_2021-03-14_at_8_54_26_PM_png-1866164.JPG

X400V
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screen_Shot_2021-03-14_at_8_55_15_PM_png-1866165.JPG
View Quote

Almost 3/4 of Your front sight post will be blocked by the laser housing on a .193 height RDS
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By @MunnyShot :

Almost 3/4 of Your front sight post will be blocked by the laser housing on a .193 height RDS
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @MunnyShot :
Quoted:

No illuminator
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screen_Shot_2021-03-14_at_8_58_04_PM_png-1866169.JPG

VIR II
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screen_Shot_2021-03-14_at_8_54_26_PM_png-1866164.JPG

X400V
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screen_Shot_2021-03-14_at_8_55_15_PM_png-1866165.JPG

I don't follow. On a 1.93 height red dot, a standard front sight post is completely blocked by the red dot housing/mount.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used a 400V on a SBR with a M3 Aimpoint in a lower third mount for a year.  The laser took up just over half of the FOV but the setup was still more than usable. Bumping the optic up on to a 1.93 mount would clear the field of view even more
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I used a 400V on a SBR with a M3 Aimpoint in a lower third mount for a year.  The laser took up just over half of the FOV but the setup will still more than usable. Bumping the optic up on to a 1.93 mount would clear the field of view even more
View Quote
thanks. If only the x400v didn't cost more than twice what the VIR2 does. lol. I guess that's a big part of the equation for the VIR2, as well - what it offers for the dollar.

Link Posted: 3/20/2021 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I really dont like having to use a tiny allen key to adjust the Surefire 400v's.

The Streamlight is far better in the cost, windage / elevation adjustments, 2 color options, battery life.

The really nice feature about the Surefire 400v is that you can use the ir pointer only, ir illuminator or both simultaneously.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:36:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't follow. On a 1.93 height red dot, a standard front sight post is completely blocked by the red dot housing/mount.
View Quote

With a chin weld looking through your RDS (you will not be able to look through your rear sight) you'll be able to see the FSB ears and top of the post as well as the top of the X400 laser housing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

With a chin weld looking through your RDS (you will not be able to look through your rear sight) you'll be able to see the FSB ears and top of the post as well as the top of the X400 laser housing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have several 1.93 mounts. I don't see the FSB through the window. If course, I'm using aimpoint T1s, so maybe the diameter of the tube makes a difference.

i just dont understand what you mean by "Almost 3/4 of Your front sight post will be blocked by the laser housing on a .193 height RDS."

The ENTIRE FSB will be blocked by the laster housing based on pictures I'm seeing of the x400 mounted in front of a front sight, since the laser housing sits higher than the front sight. And the front site post is completely occluded by the red dot housing on a 1.93 mount.

What I was asking is if the amount that the laser housing sits above the front sight post is enough to then be visible in the window of the red dot sight.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I measured from the back of the lug to the front of the key as seen in the 3rd picture.
View Quote

Finally had time to circle back to this.  Unfortunately the measurements you took won't help me.  

What I asked was if someone can measure the distance from the rear of the light to the 1913 insert.  

Like this:

Because my gun is like this:

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Finally had time to circle back to this.  Unfortunately the measurements you took won't help me.  

What I asked was if someone can measure the distance from the rear of the light to the 1913 insert.  

Like this:

https://i.imgur.com/EFdm8S2l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aGBWgNQl.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I measured from the back of the lug to the front of the key as seen in the 3rd picture.

Like this:

https://i.imgur.com/EFdm8S2l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aGBWgNQl.jpg

My bad, read it wrong.

I picked up another one from Midwayusa and ill get some proper measurements for you tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#33]
@ThisWildAdventure

sorry didn't do in MM that I just saw you did but here are best eyeballing with the 1913-1 and 1913-2

1913-1

1913-2

Looks like, per googles math, 1913-2 will fit yours
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Thinking about picking one of these up to put on a HD  carbine with a UH-1 optic. This would be my first IR device. I plan on using it just for the visible light until I get a NVD.

What are your thoughts on this vs. a TOR + flashlight with IR capabilities?

Also these never seem to show up on the used market. What is a good asking price for a used unit?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Just ordered one from Midway as an entry level Light/laser to play with once I get some nods.

For now it will work well with pistols and my holsters and possibly on a rifle.

Midway has them in black and FDE on sale.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thinking about picking one of these up to put on a HD  carbine with a UH-1 optic. This would be my first IR device. I plan on using it just for the visible light until I get a NVD.

What are your thoughts on this vs. a TOR + flashlight with IR capabilities?

Also these never seem to show up on the used market. What is a good asking price for a used unit?

Thanks!
View Quote

These are excellent units, I started with one earlier this year and now have four.  I have been extremely impressed with them and I've owned a ton of different IR devices over the years.  That said, if you don't have NV yet and don't know for sure when you are taking that plunge, I would just buy a dedicated white light that suits your fancy.  You will get more white light range and brightness out of a dedicated light than you will a TLR VIR II.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Purchased another one of these, the things just work. For the suburban distances I'd ever find myself in, works perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

These are excellent units, I started with one earlier this year and now have four.  I have been extremely impressed with them and I've owned a ton of different IR devices over the years.  That said, if you don't have NV yet and don't know for sure when you are taking that plunge, I would just buy a dedicated white light that suits your fancy.  You will get more white light range and brightness out of a dedicated light than you will a TLR VIR II.
View Quote

Thanks for the input, that’s true. Not a bad idea.

Do you have experience with the original TLR-VIR?

I saw these listed on eBay for a good price:

I can’t quite tell if they’re legit or not though
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Zero experience with the original.  It might be worth a try as long as you don't intend to mount it at 12 o'clock on a carbine rail (depending on sight height choice).
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Zero experience with the original.  It might be worth a try as long as you don't intend to mount it at 12 o'clock on a carbine rail (depending on sight height choice).
View Quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going with a Holosun LS221G that was for sale on the EE that was too good to pass up. I wanted a dedicated unit for a carbine so it works well.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I was relatively happy with my TLR-VIR-II until the screw sheared off while trying to remove it to install a new battery. Not sure what happened, it wasn't over torque or anything, just finger tight and a little pressure with a coin to snug it.
Anyone know where to find a replacement picatinny mount ? I've emailed streamlight, not sure how good their warranty service is.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Streamlight should send you a new screw. They did for me.

That screw is a major weak link in the design. I don't know why they didn't use the same screw as the tlr1's. I had lots of trouble early on with the mount shooting loose within 1 (14) Rd mag of 45acp. Early on the screw broke while using a coin to tighten. Luckily I found all the parts, in the dark. Streamlight sent me a replacement.

Now I put a tiny lock washer, #6 or #8 I think, under the head of the screw when I install them. I still snug up with a quarter, but I don't crank on it. Not tons of rounds through the gun, but the shooting loose in one mag seems to be fixed. Tons of daily carry. Everything seems to still be holding together.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That screw is a major weak link in the design. I don't know why they didn't use the same screw as the tlr1's. I had lots of trouble early on with the mount shooting loose within 1 (14) Rd mag of 45acp. Early on the screw broke while using a coin to tighten. Luckily I found all the parts, in the dark. Streamlight sent me a replacement.

Now I put a tiny lock washer, #6 or #8 I think, under the head of the screw when I install them. I still snug up with a quarter, but I don't crank on it. Not tons of rounds through the gun, but the shooting loose in one mag seems to be fixed. Tons of daily carry. Everything seems to still be holding together.
View Quote

Thanks. I'll do the same once I get a replacement.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting, this sounds like a great idea.  I've been tightening mine to 10 inch pounds and so far they have held up and stayed tight including when I did the on/off zero retention testing a month or two ago.  When returned to the same rail slot, pushed forward, and tightened back to 10 inch pounds, the zero held 100% on a carbine at ~150 yd.  I will probably try the lock washer thing too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Glad I could help. Hopefully it works as well for you guys as it did for me.

The other idea I had but never got around to trying: I had a rubber "bushing" that I was going to drop under the head of the bolt. There's a recess in the body that the bushing I had would've fit into. Then the bolt head would've tightened down onto the bushing. I think the rubber bushing would've provided some counter pressure/friction that would've kept the bolt tight. I don't remember where I got the bushing and never got around to trying it.

The lock washers lay on the edge of the recess in the housing and are the same size as the bolt head. Since they've held, I haven't felt the need or found the time to try the rubber bushing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I have one and I really like it, except it seems to be too forward compared to other pistols with WMLs that I have.

My ARFCOM thread asking for M17 advise

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have one and I really like it, except it seems to be too forward compared to other pistols with WMLs that I have.

My ARFCOM thread asking for M17 advise

View Quote

There should be 2 1913 keys and you'll want to swap to the other one. See above for measurements

One is for the m17 and rest seems, imo, for the rest.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

@ct78

They're that cheap because they're not aiming lasers.

The little doohickey on the bottom is your IR illuminator, it's not an aiming laser.

TLR-VIR is a decent little vis and IR illuminator but it is in no way intended for use in aiming.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@ct78

They're that cheap because they're not aiming lasers.

The little doohickey on the bottom is your IR illuminator, it's not an aiming laser.

TLR-VIR is a decent little vis and IR illuminator but it is in no way intended for use in aiming.
View Quote

Thanks for the explanation. That might actually be perfect now since I’m looking for an illuminator to put the LS221G with.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love this light/laser for handgun use when I don't have a red dot. I'm sure it would make a fine laser for a pistol-caliber carbine or other small rifle.

My main issue is you can't individually select the IR light and laser. With an RMR I have no need or want for an IR laser, but I often want IR illumination. OP describes this exact scenario.

My favorite night handgun configuration is a red dot and a surefire X300V. My second favorite configuration is a handgun with a TLR-VIR II on it.
View Quote

This.  I own both.

Red dot -> X300V

Irons -> TLR-VIR II

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top