User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 121
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:

@oldgold
In the comments section of the video below there is links to everything.

https://youtu.be/y8UoS6hbjbE

View Quote

@Cape_hunter

Where can I find a used RHNO II for $40-60?  Looks like most of what I find is much higher than that.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:26:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Praimfiya] [#2]
Originally Posted By JTX23:

@Cape_hunter

Where can I find a used RHNO II for $40-60?  Looks like most of what I find is much higher than that.  Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:

@oldgold
In the comments section of the video below there is links to everything.

https://youtu.be/y8UoS6hbjbE

@Cape_hunter

@JTX23

They pop up on Ebay here and there. Granted, less chance nowadays with all the gear being bought up.

I bought my RHNOII with the PVS15/18 socket already included for $75. I just had to drill out the old pins the previous owner ground down and I installed new ones myself.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you revengeismine
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]

@Cape_hunter

View Quote

Be advised if you buy a Rhino II mount it may have a bayonet mount which will need to be changed over to a dovetail mount. If that is the case, TNVC sells the dovetail and there are YouTube videos on how to do the modification.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#5]
another often overlooked dovetail is the Cadex Defense mount. I have one and it is good, but requires a bit of minor non-destructive sanding to fit in some shrouds. $50-100 ebay...there are 3 on there now, just make sure they have dovetail sockets and not bayonette, some come with both as they are modular too. (the rusty one on there is missing the dovetail socket, avoid this one)

@JTX23

Cadex on a Emerson helmet:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
so is there a consensus on whether to get the MK1 or MK2?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
so is there a consensus on whether to get the MK1 or MK2?
View Quote

I like the Mk2 over the Mk1 with duals because it orientates the Auroras so the battery housing hump is out of the way on the right camera. so you can have them closer to your face without your nose hitting the hump.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Question, I think maybe Nick Chen has done it, but curious if anyone else has -

Have a single Aurora Sport, and live very rural. It's basically useless when it's useless without IR, we all know the deal I don't need to elaborate. I think my "near peer" threats are quite limited, and for now am thinking of putting my PVS 14 budget towards a Breach, as I can get one pretty much right away.

My theory is that with my general sightlines the breach on a bridge with the Sionyx will let me know, generally speaking, if I'm good to go lighting up with IR. Seeing a person, period, is cause for question so I wouldn't use the IR until I've determined more about what the situation is.

My question is - what bridge? What's even available for that role. I don't mind CNC'ing or printing (carbon fiber nylon) a shoe for the Aurora, but curious what my options are besides the  Knight Vision -  currently use a Kiloohm MK2, even thought of making a plate for that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Just wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions.  I have everything on order.  Ill try get back on here and provide an update once I have it all set up.  

Thank you all.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:21:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#10]
Originally Posted By Axlnut:

Have a single Aurora Sport, and live very rural. It's basically useless when it's useless without IR, we all know the deal I don't need to elaborate. I think my "near peer" threats are quite limited, and for now am thinking of putting my PVS 14 budget towards a Breach, as I can get one pretty much right away.

My theory is that with my general sightlines the breach on a bridge with the Sionyx will let me know, generally speaking, if I'm good to go lighting up with IR. Seeing a person, period, is cause for question so I wouldn't use the IR until I've determined more about what the situation is.

My question is - what bridge? What's even available for that role. I don't mind CNC'ing or printing (carbon fiber nylon) a shoe for the Aurora, but curious what my options are besides the  Knight Vision -  currently use a Kiloohm MK2, even thought of making a plate for that.
View Quote

There is an Chinese dual dovetail bridge sold on Amazon for about $125. Seems to be relatively high quality. It's articulated so you can swing either side up.

eta here it be: https://smile.amazon.com/Bracket-6061-T6-Aluminum-Machining-Suitable/dp/B08C9FF9G3/ref=pd_ybh_a_62?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JNVTXP27VQTEF0GR8M5H
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Axlnut:

View Quote

You could also get a handheld AGM and scan, you'll see heat sources (detection, not ID) for hundreds of yards. Or kill 2 birds and grab a small weapon thermal like the Hogster 25mm and hand hold or rifle mount when needed. Just some other options. That articulating bridge mentioned above, is a game changer, for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:43:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Praimfiya] [#12]
Just painted mine. Hated the bright white lol. Came out pretty good. The front lenses mask covered too much of the white on one end so I need to touch up the little sliver of white that shows.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By revengeismine:
Just painted mine. Hated the bright white lol. Came out pretty good. The front lenses mask covered too much of the white on one end so I need to touch up the little sliver of white that shows.

https://i.ibb.co/JBKBC0B/20210110-203926.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/R6sTCFj/20210110-203802.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/cr4qS9W/20210110-203747.jpg
View Quote

Nice job. I like it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:50:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Excellent job with the camo!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#15]

https://i.ibb.co/JBKBC0B/20210110-203926.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/R6sTCFj/20210110-203802.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/cr4qS9W/20210110-203747.jpg
View Quote

That looks really good!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#16]
Great work with the paint - top job.  

On another note just picked up a pro

general Q - any tips above and beyond the Aurora.  

general Q - is the second battery a spare or does it have some mysterious hidden slot?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:

general Q - is the second battery a spare or does it have some mysterious hidden slot?
View Quote

The FOV is slightly different, instead of 3 clicks on the D pad, its 2 I think for 1:1. Has a better quality lens. Second batt is a spare. That's it I think.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Excellent thanks

1.4% moon tonight - good opportunity to test
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Awesome!!!! I'll be interested in your experiences VS mine.

Pro tips:

There is a bug in the firmware, where if you set the Screen Off to Never, to disable the "shoot me in the head" IR eye sensor light - it doesn't remember the setting after a power cycle. When you turn it back on, the light is illuminated, even though the setting is still set to Never. At each Power on, cycle it up to Auto and select, then back to Never and select. You can verify this by looking in a mirror.

HDR actually works...very well. Increases the image brightness/detail a lot. Recommend always on.

2 clicks is 1:1, like gaspain mentioned.

Motion Blur is almost zero (to my 52 year old eyes, anyway).

I don't know about Oz, but Amazon USA has 1600mAh NP-50 batteries that work fine, if you want extra time without a power bank.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:49:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#20]
Hi Mick - which firmware version are you on - I'm on 1.32 (switch to WIFI - click on about-FW version, should be orange and the version is displayed in the top right hand corner of the view finder).  

The conventional Sionyx app works fine and the wifi connection and remote viewing works well too.  The AR app still doesn't work but after talking to SIOnyx I expected that (unsupported beta app).  I hope they persevere with that direction - very, very useful in a NOD.  

First impressions are good - cleaner crisper image

If I get a 20% improvement at low light I'll be happy especially if there is utility indoors.  Could fill a nice gap.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#21]
If Sionyx comes up with better sensor in next version I'm like 100% sure US Government will put ITAR stamp on it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Hi Mick - which firmware version are you on - I'm on 1.32 (switch to WIFI - click on about-FW version, should be orange and the version is displayed in the top right hand corner of the view finder).  

View Quote

I wonder if different countries have different firmware? Last time I checked, 1.0 was the latest US version. I'm traveling, cant check if there is an update.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Pro ordered from DVOR, will pair that with the breach.

Going to hook my buddy up with the Sport.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool setup. Cant wait for the report :thumbsup:
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCUrk] [#25]
Am I a moron?  

I received my Pro yesterday. Brought it to work today and unboxed it. Read the quick start guide. Inserted the battery and Micro disk. Plugged it in. It has been charging for 6 hours. I turn the dial and have no power.... Nothing on the screen, no lights on anywhere....

ETA: Re reviewing the owners manual. No green light slowly flashing when plugged in. I know the USB port on my surge protector works, as it is the same one I use to charge my phone and it has power when plugged in....
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]
push the viewfinder fully on the body maybe? can be a tight fit
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:06:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#27]
Battery properly oriented? Look at the contacts inside the compartment, and match up the flat plates on the battery. I don't know that you *can* insert it wrong, but all I can think of.

Try the other battery, too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:59:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#28]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

I wonder if different countries have different firmware? Last time I checked, 1.0 was the latest US version. I'm traveling, cant check if there is an update.
View Quote

I think its highly unlikely - connect up to the app when you get home and check for updates :), might get some further improvements.  See below for first outing.  

The photos above were taken in tough v.low NL4 conditions.  Around 1% moon with cloud cover in a variably wooded environment.  The photos were taken from the edge of tree cover.  In these conditions the Aurora would not provide a useable image and the Pro has just got it covered.  Once again the Gen2+ is working reasonably well and you can observe all the way to the farthest tree line.  

Having said that the Pro does appear to be a very real upgrade over the Aurora and to be frank I'm mildly impressed

More photos to follow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:02:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#29]

The above sequence was taken from within the tree line - the Pro is still holding up (just) although the picture is starting to break up.  The Gen 2+ is still giving a solid sight picture.  All photos were taken within a few seconds of one another.  

The four scenes from the two slides above represent a range of increasingly difficult conditions and a progressive close down of ambient lighting.  This was achieved by standing at the treeline (minimising ambient light from behind) through to standing within the tree line and taking photos down the axis of the treeline e.g. minimising light from front, rear and above.  

This panel of images was taken the following evening with a new moon - 0% illumination.  

This time the frame rate was changed from 30 to 15 and finally 7.5 fps (all other parameters remained the same).  At each locality an image was also captured with a FLIR Breach for a contrast.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:42:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCUrk] [#30]
Battery properly oriented? Look at the contacts inside the compartment, and match up the flat plates on the battery. I don't know that you *can* insert it wrong, but all I can think of.

Try the other battery, too.
View Quote

Tried both batteries, they are oriented correctly (no, they can't go in incorrectly, not without a hammer at least....). Tried with and without micro disc card. Tried with it plugged into 3 other usb power ports. Nothing. Have an Email into the company...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Are the pros out in the wild? Under the website says shipping soon. Not sure if that's reality, or if they are going to just be catching up on backorders.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:10:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#32]
Yes, have been for some time - see posts by Mick Donaldson and the photos above.  

They ran out of stock and new stock has just been made available.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#33]
And today it is charging?!?!?!?!?

Must have been operator error, but danged if I know what I did different.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By NCUrk:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20210113_095005_resized_jpg-1777453.JPG
View Quote

Sometimes when I put a Micro USB in, the wrong way, it feels right? I wonder if it was upside down? No idea, but glad you're up and charging.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#35]

I think its highly unlikely - connect up to the app when you get home and check for updates
View Quote

As soon as I get back home, I will - maybe they fixed the eye sensor bug.  Good pics, glad you like it. Yeah, I have a simple performance criteria, since I have this stuff for use with a firearm primarily - can I see a person with a weapon, and hit him. I don't need to know if he's wearing Wrangler, or Jordache jeans
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Praimfiya] [#36]
Looks like the pros are back up to $999. They were $799 for a while there. Looks like Sionyx is doing monthly payments on them as well now lol taking advantage of the uptick in people wanting lower cost NVGs I see.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Can a Sionyx pick up IR patches clearly? I have a few that are sitting around and just looked at them in no night without IR assist, and then with IR assist (Modlite 850). I can't make them out any better than their non-IR reflective surroundings.

Or am I just missing something?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
Can a Sionyx pick up IR patches clearly? I have a few that are sitting around and just looked at them in no night without IR assist, and then with IR assist (Modlite 850). I can't make them out any better than their non-IR reflective surroundings.

Or am I just missing something?
View Quote

I'lll give you my experience: Yes....if its s legit patch, and you're using the right wavelength IR source. I have numerous patches from various sources, Amazon to high dollar Tactical Freaky. Most of the cheap ones are bogus, l think only one of the Amazon ones, was legit. All the TF ones are good to go. Unless you use a 940nm source - then, no glowy. So, an actual legit patch, and an 850nm source, and the Aurora sees it fine. *Note - the Aurora sees up to 1100nm, its the IR material that seems to be tuned to the 850nm wavelength. Same patch won't glow under 940.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#39]

I'lll give you my experience: Yes....if its s legit patch, and you're using the right wavelength IR source. I have numerous patches from various sources, Amazon to high dollar Tactical Freaky. Most of the cheap ones are bogus, l think only one of the Amazon ones, was legit. All the TF ones are good to go. Unless you use a 940nm source - then, no glowy. So, an actual legit patch, and an 850nm source, and the Aurora sees it fine. *Note - the Aurora sees up to 1100nm, its the IR material that seems to be tuned to the 850nm wavelength. Same patch won't glow under 940.
View Quote
I honestly don't recall where one of the patches is from, the other is from Weapon Outfitters, who I tend to trust quite a bit. And its 850nm light being cast on it, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Not a huge deal as I have an IR strobe, but weird nonetheless.

Thanks for the response man
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
I honestly don't recall where one of the patches is from, the other is from Weapon Outfitters, who I tend to trust quite a bit. And its 850nm light being cast on it, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Not a huge deal as I have an IR strobe, but weird nonetheless.

Thanks for the response man
View Quote

Yeah, weird. You/anyone else have an analog device to test it with? No prob, everything I learned before buying, was on here. Pay it forward!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Yeah, weird. You/anyone else have an analog device to test it with? No prob, everything I learned before buying, was on here. Pay it forward!
View Quote
Yep, a friend has a new-ish Omni tube that's very clean and impressive, so I'll take a peek through that next chance I get. The mystery will just have to be on pause until then.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#42]
My official patches can be seen.  

Also, try putting them out in sunlight for awhile before use.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:24:32 AM EDT
[#43]
More pictures

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By NCUrk:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269478/20210113_095005_resized_jpg-1777453.JPG
View Quote

My sport did something like that once where I "charged" it overnight, and it gave me low battery warning immediately on power on.  Pretty sure it did the slow blinking green light.  I charged it again, and it fully charged.  I also have no idea what I did different.  Used the same cord and same USB port on PC.  I'm fairly certain I didn't fuck up plugging it in the first time.  I wonder if there's something weird with over charge protection activating when it shouldn't?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#45]
More pictures
View Quote

@GroundhogOZ

TURN ON HDR. It works on the Pro, a lot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#46]
The Pro looks so good ... too bad I am a poors...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Yeah, me too.

I am contemplating selling my black and getting a pro.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Doodles:

Yeah, me too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Doodles:

Yeah, me too.

I am gonna have fun with my duals for a bit...especially after painting them and still trying to gather my shit to put together a decently low cost but somewhat quality helmet. Maybe at some point in the future I might think about selling both for 1 pro.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm thinking this mounted on my suppressed SW15-22 pistol with IR laser/illuminator would be pretty bad ass.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:35:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#50]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
I'm thinking this mounted on my suppressed SW15-22 pistol with IR laser/illuminator would be pretty bad ass.
View Quote

no, the eye relief is about an inch. Helmet mount it.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top