User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 121
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gman556:

@GroundhogOZ

This definitely makes allot of sense to me. It's does work very well with highlight conditions.

I think I know what you mean by the clarity in differing light conditions. IE: under trees, and shady spots being visible where you couldn't see otherwise?

View Quote

Yep thats exactly what I meant - to me that was a very noticeable difference.  It also appeared to have excellent cut-through against photonic barriers, where the gain was suitably adjusted.  Potentially reduces the need to use a MAWL/KIJI to cut through.

Also, I suspect looking through the viewfinder will give a much better experience e.g. 1920x1080(OPSIN) Vs 1024x768(PRO).  

Like many on here, I've found the photos don't do justice to the images as seen through the viewfinder - same applies to analogue.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:51:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gman556] [#2]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:

Yep thats exactly what I meant - to me that was a very noticeable difference.  It also appeared to have excellent cut-through against photonic barriers, where the gain was suitably adjusted.  Potentially reduces the need to use a MAWL/KIJI to cut through.

Also, I suspect looking through the viewfinder will give a much better experience e.g. 1920x1080(OPSIN) Vs 1024x768(PRO).  

Like many on here, I've found the photos don't do justice to the images as seen through the viewfinder - same applies to analogue.
View Quote

I can attest the photos don't do it much justice at all except for maybe the ones where there is no light to where there is no image without IR.

The more I play around with it the more impressed I am. Of course I have never looked through gen 3 so take that with a grain of salt

I noticed adjusting the EV to a lower setting (IE: -2.5), the light bloom just like in the video of the house with it's porch lights on can be toned down nicely.

Seems like that setting -2.5 for when you have some light pollution is the sweet spot for areas with lighting, just as 0.0 is good for lower light.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]
So does the newest model have better resolution or work better in darker areas ir is it all about the body and mounting ease?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:58:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#4]
^^^^

Fair bit different

(1)  New to the civilian market XQE1350 detector - broader range and exposure to more irradiance
(2)  Latency reduced to less than 1 frame ~ <10ms to <30ms depending on selected frame rate
(3)  Works down to ~ 0.5 mlux
(4)  Larger 1920 x 1080 display
(5)  Improved noise reduction through NUC

Sionyx OPSIN vs Aurora Pro comparison!

The tube in the video is a Photonis XD-4 (according to another contributor who knows the guys that produced the video above), so typically SnR 22, 64lp/mm, gain ~ 40,000, EBI ~ 1.5 (in imperial units), FOM 1400, HALO 0.85.  The XD4 is about the equivalent of a OMNI 4 Gen 3 device.  Depending on age, the XD-4 may or may not be autogated.    

Will not outperform a good quality gen2+ tube (as above) in v.low light conditions.  Outperforms the Aurora Pro in all conditions.  Outperforms the XD-4 in Hi low-light conditions.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
This was kind of touched on but never fleshed out has anyone had a chance to compare the aurora pro to the sightmark wraith monocular?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Sionyx produces the best consumer/prosumer digital silicon for NV - ATN and Sightmark don't compare (based on every video I've ever seen - I've only ever used Sionyx). For a Monocular, an Aurora Pro would be fine. Where ATN and Sightmark shine, is the actual production of weapon mounted optics. Mounting an Aurora would have to be behind (first deice you look through) a 1X optic - it hasn't gained much traction in this thread - 99% Helmet Mount or Hand Hold. An Aurora can pull in, and use, up to 1100nm, - it's performance under IR is insane. No idea what the other two can do.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Sionyx produces the best consumer/prosumer digital silicon for NV - ATN and Sightmark don't compare (based on every video I've ever seen - I've only ever used Sionyx). For a Monocular, an Aurora Pro would be fine. Where ATN and Sightmark shine, is the actual production of weapon mounted optics. Mounting an Aurora would have to be behind (first deice you look through) a 1X optic - it hasn't gained much traction in this thread - 99% Helmet Mount or Hand Hold. An Aurora can pull in, and use, up to 1100nm, - it's performance under IR is insane. No idea what the other two can do.
View Quote

Ya thinking scan with the Aurora  pro for coyotes and then go to a wraith mini for the shot eventually. Or for budget sake start with Aurora pro for scanning and switch to a red sniperhog light with standard lpvo for shot till I can afford a wraith on the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have a line on BF deals on Aurora pro?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Remington1992:

Ya thinking scan with the Aurora  pro for coyotes and then go to a wraith mini for the shot eventually. Or for budget sake start with Aurora pro for scanning and switch to a red sniperhog light with standard lpvo for shot till I can afford a wraith on the rifle.
View Quote

You could go with an IR laser for passive aiming with Sionyx.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Wish this thread was a sticky - it's the most comprehensive collection of knowledge that I've seen anywhere - for using in the Helmet Mounted role.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Need to digest this thread for a knock off bump setup, get some use out of a couple pros.

Any up to date suggestions? Much has changed or no longer available.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:32:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#12]
Originally Posted By bdgenz:
Need to digest this thread for a knock off bump setup, get some use out of a couple pros.

Any up to date suggestions? Much has changed or no longer available.
View Quote

I love the MTEK licensed PTS FLUX - about $120. As far as mounts and bridges - it's all the same still. Ebay RHINO IIs with Dovetail Conversion Plate or Wilcox/Replicas. Lion's Gear Bridge, Wilcox/Replica, or KVC/Replica. Other than for the Lion's Gear, you also need M24 FLIR Shoes that need some file work done to them. Nothing's really changed.

***KVC type doesn't bring them close enough without modding by drilling and tapping a third hole in the center section.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#13]
After reading about issues, compatibility, collimation (foundational stuff), feelz too much time making decisions, given the application/cost/poors. Gotta work before it takes me where ever.

Coming up with mounting solution for attaching to vortex spotting or tv-102 is yet another rabbit hole. Have 3d printers, cncs, 80w co2 laser.

Ordered pts mtek flux, w/some hesitation after gaspain review. Figured better for a fit and polish the details later.

Next, leaning towards sotac sm-2, from somewhere other than chipping from chyna.

Don't want a bucket of "cheap" sionyx helmet parts sitting next to my bucket of $$$ holsters.

Thx @mickdonaldson, needed a push.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#14]
View Quote

You need dovetail style arm such as a Rhino 2 or a L4G24, $90 on amazon.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

and a bump helmet, Outry is a MTEK clone and in some ways more durable than the PTS
MissingImage

I also recommend the counter balance pouch, then put a usb battery pack in it. Makes the optic feel more balanced.
MissingImage

And my Kiloohm MK1C or MK2 mount. I not supposed to put a link here, but it's on etsy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Still leaning toward the sotac sm-2, spring before I see it, not gonna work 4 me, need to find it in the states along w/socket and a couple m24's. Have the L4G24.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Other issue I'm concerned about...

Along w/that tv-102 I have tv bino vues - we know 2 eyes are better then one.

Yet another $2K+++ that I can't merge (as well as many others that try - suspect that's why some give up w/this stuff???). My son has no issues w/his funky eyes, it's the shit AFAH(e's)C, so I keep them for him.

So a bridge, shoes and perhaps mount depending, torn as to what to buy, that will work 1st attempt AND in 5 or 10 years for anyone that straps in (except wife, PD seems to close for this app ;~(

Hope that makes sense.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:00:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#17]
Other issue I'm concerned about...

Along w/that tv-102 I have tv bino vues - we know 2 eyes are better then one.

Yet another $2K+++ that I can't merge (as well as many others that try - suspect that's why some give up w/this stuff???). My son has no issues w/his funky eyes, it's the shit AFAH(e's)C, so I keep them for him.

So a bridge, shoes and perhaps mount depending, torn as to what to buy, that will work 1st attempt AND in 5 or 10 years for anyone that straps in (except wife, PD seems to close for this app ;~(

Hope that makes sense.

View Quote

Sorry, I can't decipher that ^ tv-102? If you're talking about Inter-Pupillary Distance, IIRC the closest two Auroras can get (touching) is 60mm. I think I remember Lucien at LGS saying that 58 or 59 should be ok too. Measure with a Caliper, or maybe see if an eyeglasses place can measure for free. Gaspain makes a Bridge that flips one unit, allowing them to get closer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL - teh goog is ur friend (NOT)

My star gazing instrument, telescope, binos, mount, oculars, etc, all from same mfg, televue (very good stuff, for the last, who knows how many years, will last a lifetime, plus kids, grandkids - long after I'm gone).

Wife is small (we both ware glasses, know our PD), I should be GTG, her not so much in that dept.

These DNV gizmos, not so sure, just interested in merging 1st attempt w/good bridge (that will last???).

Suggestions welcome and encouraged
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]
What mode should be used when using as a monocular? Meaning, photos and video aren’t needed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
What mode should be used when using as a monocular? Meaning, photos and video aren’t needed.
View Quote

You still run it in video mode, you just aren't recording unless you push the REC button.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the airsoft flex bump, battery pouch, g24 off amazon, sm-2 from US ebay seller and a couple wilcox flir recon m24 shoes (OTN).

I know I read somewhere around here have to file the locking pin so it fits the sionyx (d'oh), don't remember what the suggested fix was to get the shoes to fit the sm-2.

I'll scrounge around here and look for a post re: filing the shoes, while I have a look at whats stopping the shoes from locking in.

Knock off stuff be knock off  - I'll try to clean things up a bit if the end result isn't GTG.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:06:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#22]
Got the airsoft flex bump, battery pouch, g24 off amazon, sm-2 from US ebay seller and a couple wilcox flir recon m24 shoes (OTN).

I know I read somewhere around here have to file the locking pin so it fits the sionyx (d'oh), don't remember what the suggested fix was to get the shoes to fit the sm-2.

I'll scrounge around here and look for a post re: filing the shoes, while I have a look at whats stopping the shoes from locking in.

Knock off stuff be knock off  - I'll try to clean things up a bit if the end result isn't GTG.
View Quote

This is what you do to fit the oval'ish Aurora anti-rotation hole:

Since the Real and SM-2 (CloneCox) Bridge is designed for a special Shoe, you need to make a pass with a file, down each long side edge of the M24 - recommend not more than two passes at a time, before testing fit. Do not try to force it to "click in", or you will have to beat it out with a rubber mallet. If you file the pin a little more than needed on the outboard side, you can then collimate if you decide to run Binos.

Here is the actual Shoe that that Bridge takes, hence the filing needed on the M24 Shoe:

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome and thx!!!

Thinking I'll cnc a couple shoes, may still want the ability to angle cameras - make a few prototype runs (simple once tooling is setup).

off_to_scratching_head.gif...
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Midway USA has the Aurora Pro for only $514 with 6 in stock as I post this...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022739016?pid=792180
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:10:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#25]
View Quote

Holy sh*t! That's a great deal.

I had to type 'Midway USA Aurora Pro' in a search engine - the link was weird in my browser.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

I hope buyers on the edge get in now!

Somebody, please hook me up if you see a similar deal on an Opsin.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#27]

I had to type 'Midway USA Aurora Pro' in a search engine - the link was weird in my browser.
View Quote

Guey, you ain't kidding. Insane price. Looks like I have my binocs now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw somewhere there is a significant delay. Like if you shoot at something that is moving it will no longer be there when you shoot. Ok for stationary targets I guess.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#29]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
I saw somewhere there is a significant delay. Like if you shoot at something that is moving it will no longer be there when you shoot. Ok for stationary targets I guess.
View Quote

The myth that won't die. It's 30ms - you blink at 300ms. It's all in here, if you haven't been following since Summer 2020 (Introduction of the Pro in July).
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#30]

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022739016?pid=792180
View Quote

Thanks, I ordered one, @ that price I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By garr:

Thanks, I ordered one, @ that price I couldn't resist.
View Quote

Nice - a legit NL4 device for ~$500 is a steal. As a comparison, that's only ~$100 more than the Gen 1 Sensor 'Sport'. NL4 Binos for ~$1K if you'll never have $5K+ for an XLSH set, isn't bad either, even with the reduced performance compared to I2.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an odd question.  Do we have any natural sources of the IR light?  
Trying to get around the “artificial light” law the MI DNR has.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
I have an odd question.  Do we have any natural sources of the IR light?  
Trying to get around the “artificial light” law the MI DNR has.
View Quote

The Moon and Stars throw off IR
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#34]

The Moon and Stars throw off IR
View Quote

Well yea.  😂
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone see this newcomer Duovox at Kickstart?  I don't have high hopes when compared to the Aurora, but it's cheap.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/duovox/duovox-ultra-rise-to-nighttime-challenge/pledge/new?clicked_reward=false&ref=discovery
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Torque556:
Anyone see this newcomer Duovox at Kickstart?  I don't have high hopes when compared to the Aurora, but it's cheap.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/duovox/duovox-ultra-rise-to-nighttime-challenge/pledge/new?clicked_reward=false&ref=discovery
View Quote

looks like the other turds on amazon. The eyepiece is the giveaway. Nightfox Cub, VABSCE
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

looks like the other turds on amazon. The eyepiece is the giveaway. Nightfox Cub, VABSCE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gaspain:
Originally Posted By Torque556:

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Ordered the Aurora Black from Midway with one of the kit bundles that was being discontinued. Now to start figuring which helmet and accessories to get so I can wander around hands free.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Rugby3:
Ordered the Aurora Black from Midway with one of the kit bundles that was being discontinued. Now to start figuring which helmet and accessories to get so I can wander around hands free.
View Quote

Well, it's all in here somewhere Use Goebbel (Google) to do a site search > site:ar15.com Aurora Helmet Mount
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Well, it's all in here somewhere Use Goebbel (Google) to do a site search > site:ar15.com Aurora Helmet Mount
View All Quotes

Thanks, been reading and figuring out what else is needed. Charging batteries now and will check it out this weekend, unfortunately not a Pro, but for $500 it's worth taking a look at.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
I realize you are joking, but only a dumas would think it's a weapon when used. I looks like a camcorder.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
Originally Posted By hallway_monitor:

In today's day and age, I'd be careful who sees me pointing that thing..
I realize you are joking, but only a dumas would think it's a weapon when used. I looks like a camcorder.

Night time it's digital night vision.  Daytime: screw with people by sitting next to the road and pointing it at them as they drive by.  You even get to record the "Radar Gun" reactions.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Thanks, been reading and figuring out what else is needed. Charging batteries now and will check it out this weekend, unfortunately not a Pro, but for $500 it's worth taking a look at.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218019/Sionyx_jpg-2756632.JPG
View Quote

Yup. Just set your expectations and have a workarounds. 1st gen Black is good to ~1/2 Moon light levels in the open (which could also be living in an Urban or close Suburban area no matter the moon), anything else will require IR.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I just bought a refurb OG Aurora for filming night shoots. Seemed like the best option for what I wanted to do without breaking the bank. A Pro would have been better, but I just didn't want to spend that much money.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Yup. Just set your expectations and have a workarounds. 1st gen Black is good to ~1/2 Moon light levels in the open (which could also be living in an Urban or close Suburban area no matter the moon), anything else will require IR.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218019/Sionyx_jpg-2756632.JPG

Yep I have realistic expectations as I have read pretty much this entire thread and I've also been able to use some really nice high end NV. Just for current use can't justify the price for real NV. If I can find a deal on Pros, I would move up to bino option otherwise I will make do with the mono Black.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Bump all set, always some tweaking to get comfy and maybe more pads. Single 20K battery, covers 2 pros all night.

Feeling a need to swap a pro w/thermal, another rabbit hole. Suggestions welcome for a poors.

Thanks all for the knowledge, direction and advice!

A crappy fone pic...

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice work. I have an MH25 paired with a Pro on one setup, works fine. You won't get a perfectly lined up (collimated) image though, but it's close. The budget version is the ML19 IIRC - it'll need a MUM Rail and K-Clip (mine came with them). Just do a lot of reading on here, about what HMT is and isn't - there's no depth perception, and you might not even be able to merge both screens in your brain.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#47]
So far I am thrilled for cost and performance with my Black model the few times out with it, I plan on just picking up a Pro in the next week or two regardless. Got the PTS MTEK Flux helmet in this week, along with the knockoff Wilcox L4G24 mount and @gaspain, MK2B mount set up for binos as I know I will get there. Also ordered a battery and battery pouch but didn't verify dimensions and or side load vs. top load so that pair won't work for now.

As much as I would really like to move to analog, the cost to go all in with proper gear on top of that just won't make sense for me. Now, maybe the few times a year I buy a scratch off ticket and my luck changes, then maybe then I will make that jump.

Pretty awesome to have all this info from others on being able to see in the night, for short money!
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Selling one of my Pro's - thought I'd film more than I actually do. comes with Extra High Capacity Internal Battery (1100mAh), M24 FLIR Shoe, SOTAC Bridge and Mount - just supply a Helmet. $750 - PM for more details.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Selling one of my Pro's - thought I'd film more than I actually do. comes with Extra High Capacity Internal Battery (1100mAh), M24 FLIR Shoe, SOTAC Bridge and Mount - just supply a Helmet. $750 - PM for more details.
View Quote

Sent

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been looking around for a somewhat inexpensive NV monocular to play around with. I haven't read this entire thread, but will eventually.

Is $649 a good deal for the Aurora Pro these days?

$999 - 15% at purchase $849 - $200 rebate after Purchase.

I wish I would have seen that Midway deal some months back.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top