BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 121
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By glklvr:

With all these sales, I suspect Sionyx might be coming out with a Gen 2 in 2022, but I doubt it will be $1k. I'd bet more like $1500.
View Quote

I'd call it Gen 3, at least for the sensor (boy will that trigger some people ) I hope so, not that I'm a potential customer any more, but it would be cool for peeps who still can't swing Analog. They have to be real careful with pricing - they need to stay out of the "F it, I'll just wait a year and buy a 14" zone. I also thought that .mil cancelled the entire IVAS program? That was the driver behind the innovation - maybe I'm wrong on that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:19:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#2]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
It's been awhile since I've updated firmware but I think I'm going to update mine today. Can somebody recap some of the features and things I should know from versions released within the last year or so?

Thanks

View Quote

Joe, I have no clue what they improve or fix, as they don't list anything like Motherboard Mfgs do - I just update. There is fresh firmware (at least for the Pro) as I just did my two. The only bug I know about, because I found it for them, was the Eye Sensor IR Light not obeying the NEVER setting, after a power cycle. Haven't gotten in front of a mirror yet, to check that one
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok sorry I keep bugging you all lol
I am about to pull the cord on a pair of pro from BH photo and was wondering: is the dual setup decent for walking around and such ? My pvs 14 sometimes I get clumsy walking around with it. Would the dual setup aurora pro be decent for that ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By firemed13:
I am about to pull the cord on a pair of pro from BH photo and was wondering: is the dual setup decent for walking around and such ? My pvs 14 sometimes I get clumsy walking around with it. Would the dual setup aurora pro be decent for that ?
View Quote

Other than they're still two things in front your face with a (in this case) ~35 Degree rectangle of view at 1:1 - yes, two will give you binocular depth perception just like two 14's would. Whether you can walk around without stumbling anyway, is another matter

Link Posted: 12/17/2021 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

Other than they're still two things in front your face with a (in this case) ~35 Degree rectangle of view at 1:1 - yes, two will give you binocular depth perception just like two 14's would. Whether you can walk around without stumbling anyway, is another matter

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

So what your saying is I should stop drinking whiskey before I walk around with night vision?
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]

So what your saying is I should stop drinking whiskey before I walk around with night vision?
View Quote

Yeah, it takes some getting used to. I still stumble, but I still need to work on my adjustments too

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I don't know - drunks rarely get hurt when they fall...
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Went to order two pro from B&H They are closed till tonight for Shabbat. Good on them totally respect that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Sionyx is increasing the msrp on the Black model from 599 to 699 starting January 1st. They say it's due to rise in materials and global shipping.

Get your Pros before they increase those as well. I can't see the increase being on just the Black, doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fenrisulfr:
Sionyx is increasing the msrp on the Black model from 599 to 699 starting January 1st. They say it's due to rise in materials and global shipping.

Get your Pros before they increase those as well. I can't see the increase being on just the Black, doesn't make sense.
View Quote

I was hoping for an upgrade in performance from a 2022 gen 2 release. Instead, we just get an upgrade in price.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Same here. I picked up a Pro from BH photo for 699 today. It will pair with my Black. I figured now is a good a time as any, and that was before I got the email from Sionyx on the price increase.

I was able to use a Pro and my Black in a side by side or rather eye to eye comparison. I was not sure how much better the Pro would be vs my Black but it was quite an improvement. I would say at least 30 percent better performance. Much more clarity and definition and way less static in low light compared the my Black. More color and a crisper image as well.

I've seen the comparison videos of the two and they don't do the Pro justice. Much better in person.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Same here. I picked up a Pro from BH photo for 699 today. It will pair with my Black. I figured now is a good a time as any, and that was before I got the email from Sionyx on the price increase.

I was able to use a Pro and my Black in a side by side or rather eye to eye comparison. I was not sure how much better the Pro would be vs my Black but it was quite an improvement. I would say at least 30 percent better performance. Much more clarity and definition and way less static in low light compared the my Black. More color and a crisper image as well.

I've seen the comparison videos of the two and they don't do the Pro justice. Much better in person.
View Quote

$699 is a hell of a price - I wonder if ExpertVoice is lower? (was at $750) - nice grab. The Pro is two Night Levels better than the Black/Classic/Sport - if you pair them, you'll end up with a Mono eventually I always tell people its twice as good (Half Moon min to No Moon min). Gray Scale performs better at the limits, as does dropping the Gain into the -Minus numbers. Yup, the Pro just goes black when it can't resolve (for the most part) vs the static of the Gen1 Sensor.

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I initially got the Black a year ago and thought maybe I'd get a Pro eventually or if I could justify analog, as this was my first experience with any sort of NV. For me I think I'll be just fine with dual Sionyx.

Nice chart btw
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I initially got the Black a year ago and thought maybe I'd get a Pro eventually or if I could justify analog, as this was my first experience with any sort of NV. For me I think I'll be just fine with dual Sionyx.

Nice chart btw
View Quote

You can get a lot done with Dual Pro's Down to NL4, if you put in the "tweaking" time as far as supplemental gear and work arounds. Definitely not as "Turn Key" as Analog, but also not as horrible as a lot of the InstaTube idiots claim. I shot with about 25 other members here, in NL 4 conditions, and even they said they were impressed how well the Pro works. Just realize that any darker than NL4, and you are DONE, unless you use IR...but NL4 is pretty dark. They also resell pretty easy - I think I lost about $100 when I sold my Classic/Sport combo, when I got the Pro's. So you can upgrade to Analog when the piggy bank fills up, and just sell the Digital.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#15]
You can get a lot done with Dual Pro's Down to NL4, if you put in the "tweaking" time as far as supplemental gear and work arounds. Definitely not as "Turn Key" as Analog, but also not as horrible as a lot of the InstaTube idiots claim. I shot with about 25 other members here, in NL 4 conditions, and even they said they were impressed how well the Pro works. Just realize that any darker than NL4, and you are DONE, unless you use IR...but NL4 is pretty dark. They also resell pretty easy - I think I lost about $100 when I sold my Classic/Sport combo, when I got the Pro's. So you can upgrade to Analog when the piggy bank fills up, and just sell the Digital.
View Quote

Hey mickdonaldson (or anybody really), I just ordered a set of Pros from BPH.  Deal seemed too good to pass up!  I’ve read through the entire post from around page 80.

I would like to build a short “checklist” of the key adjustments, settings, tweaks, etc. that y’all have figured out from using these for a while. My set will be used as a loaner set for friends and family and I’d like to have something I can run through relatively quickly to be sure each unit is “tuned” for optimum use. I know some of the various settings are subjective but it would be good to know what the power-users feel is best.

If you have some time, could you outline the key settings to check and various adjustments to be made based on your experience?

Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By steelciocc:

Hey mickdonaldson (or anybody really), I just ordered a set of Pros from BPH.  Deal seemed too good to pass up!  I’ve read through the entire post from around page 80.

I would like to build a short “checklist” of the key adjustments, settings, tweaks, etc. that y’all have figured out from using these for a while. My set will be used as a loaner set for friends and family and I’d like to have something I can run through relatively quickly to be sure each unit is “tuned” for optimum use. I know some of the various settings are subjective but it would be good to know what the power-users feel is best.

If you have some time, could you outline the key settings to check and various adjustments to be made based on your experience?

Thanks in advance!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By steelciocc:

Thanks in advance!!

Hi I save this from a previous post that's been lost in the thread.

SIONYX
Black/Classic/Sport will get grainy, and then need IR, somewhere between 1/4-1/2 Moon level of ambient light (or equivalent man made levels).

Settings that I like for doing everything (Generally, off the top of my head):

EIS - Off

EVF Brightness - Low

EVF Auto Off - Never (but only if worried about someone else seeing you - otherwise it can save some battery).

Night Glow - Grayscale for marginal conditions, Color with a lot of ambient.

Invert Image - For Helmet use

All Sounds - Off

Photo Mode - Auto Shutter if using IR or an IR Illuminator, if not, setting a 1.5 sec shutter can eeek out a bit more performance. 1.5 will blow out with an illuminator though.

Video Mode - Here is where you need to experiment for your use - 360p/7.5fps will get you to lower light levels, but is useless for doing anything other than observing. 720p/30 or 360p/30 for shooting - you need to see if one is better for you - I can't tell a quality difference on the EVF, so I leave it on 360p for any extra performance (but I wear reading glasses, so maybe young eyes can see a difference?). 24fps can eek out a bit more, but to me, motion blur on the EVF is a bit more at 24. Under good ambient/IR, and especially if recording video, 720p/30.

HDR - I never noticed a difference on the Black/Classic/Sport with this setting, but on the Carpe Nocturnum YouTube channel, he does a comparison and there *is* a slight performance edge to it. On the Pro - it makes a HUGE difference, so it's on for me. I'd say try it both On and Off and see if it helps or hurts you.

Electrical Tape the Record light, and the Power On/Charging light near the dial.

Remove the Rubber Eyecup if you need to get it closer- squeeze the sides and pop it off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Doodles!
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Just encase someone may be interest in the mod or just interested in what the guts look like.

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:51:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Neat video. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Got my pair of pros coming in Tuesday bought off expert voice now onto the dovetail mount and dual bridge set up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 6:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boatzz] [#22]
Did anyone try, experiment or found a way to enlarge the image on the screen ?

I wear glasses and from what I read the eye relief is a bit short.
I would expect its mechanics are much akin to the eyepiece for a analogue green image intensifying tube, except the screen is flat and without curvature.
Maybe a magnifying glass, binocular eyepiece or 1st gen NV ocular lens could work....

Whats your experience with this, what works for you ?
Or better;
Whats the length and width of the screen, how deep is it recessed in the body?  Then I can make a mock-up and test what might work...
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By takdriver:
I was seriously tempted with buying the discounted pro,  but I really need digital to make at least 1 more step forward. As far as digitals go, I think the pro is as good as it gets but I still need it closer to Gen 3 analog performance. I wonder what sionyx has up their sleeve for the future.
View Quote
If they made a pro that had roughly the same form factor as a PVS-14 (meaning it could be used with some of the PVS-14 accessories), I'd buy one in a minute.

This is something I've made up, but my fantasy is that they, or someone else, will eventually make a digital NV in this relative form factor that is as good as a SIONXY pro.

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok got my Pros from expert voice and actually impressed so far with playing around with them. Getting a kilo ohm dual mount, have a cadex dovetail mount on the way also. Just looking for the recommendation on the extra power unit that fits on the back of the helmet. Also getting both front and back lens protector from Lions gear. I have been trying to go back and find these in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok got my Pros from expert voice and actually impressed so far with playing around with them. Getting a kilo ohm dual mount, have a cadex dovetail mount on the way also. Just looking for the recommendation on the extra power unit that fits on the back of the helmet. Also getting both front and back lens protector from Lions gear. I have been trying to go back and find these in this thread.
View Quote

https://www.lionsgear.solutions/13-sionyx-aurora-accessories
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#26]
View Quote

The power unit HAS to be an Anker USB pack that has TRICKLE charge mode. In trickle it is the only way to run these cameras, otherwise they turn off with a regular pack.

Anker Trickle  get a 10,000mAh-15,000'ish for single SiOnyx, 20-30k mAh for duals

90 degree usb

rear pouch

and...Lions does not have power assy, so not sure what poster above means
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

The power unit HAS to be an Anker USB pack that has TRICKLE charge mode. In trickle it is the only way to run these cameras, otherwise they turn off with a regular pack.

Anker Trickle  get a 10,000mAh-15,000'ish for single SiOnyx, 20-30k mAh for duals

90 degree usb

rear pouch

and...Lions does not have power assy, so not sure what poster above means
View Quote

I may have misread. I thought he was also looking for the link for the lens protectors from Lions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#28]
The 15K Anker with Trickle (may not be avail any longer, unfortunately, see if the 13K is) is perfect for Duals - fits in a pouch nicely, and I had my Binos, with one recording full time, going for ~7 hours - and I had ~half left on the battery capacity. I just got an Anker PowerCore 10000 PD Redux for a Thermal Clip On, and it has Trickle - only one USB-A port though, but two may fit in a pouch. The two port 15K was perfect...damn shame.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Amazon Product
  • The Anker Advantage: Join the 30 million+ powered by our leading technology.
  • Upgraded Capacity: The successor to PowerCore 10400-identical compact size but packed with even more power. Charges an iPhone 8 almost 5 times, an iPhone X or Samsung Galaxy S9 3 times, or an iPad Air 2 once.
  • Light and Compact: A super-high 13000 mAh capacity with two high speed USB ports is all contained in a portable charger smaller than a wallet.

Not sure if this has a trickle charge or not they dont exactly say on this one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#30]
www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9QVE4Q

Not sure if this has a trickle charge or not they dont exactly say on this one.
View Quote

According to reviewers, it does trickle charging.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Sionyx just posted this on their Instagram.  Anyone at shot that can give some info?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Stonia:
Sionyx just posted this on their Instagram.  Anyone at shot that can give some info?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203509/Screenshot_20220118-115428_Instagram_jpg-2244884.JPG
View Quote

Fucking. Pog.

Interested.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#33]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203509/Screenshot_20220118-115428_Instagram_jpg-2244884.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:18:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#34]

View Quote

Called it. Bout damn time
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By French1966:

Called it. Bout damn time
View Quote

PVS14 footprint?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ar15Niel] [#36]
-Dedicated helmet mounted monocular using next gen DoD approved sensor.
-Pro Latency at 33ms. OPSIN at 90FPS is 2ms.
-Price ~$2,500 which includes helmet mounts, battery, cable and battery case.
-Weight 301g not including external battery pack.
-Aurora is 1mlux @ 30fps. OPSIN will image at 0.3mlux @ 30fps

I'll update as more info comes in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#37]
So if this thing is legit, things will get interesting in regards to analog pricing. Maybe not right away, but it’ll definitely get affected.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:39:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#39]
0.3 mLux is in gen2+ country but that doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the image.  Also its important to know where that response is largely generated  e.g. is it at one end of the spectrum or across the whole range. Has the detection range expanded? has the sensor size increased - how much juice does it use etc etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:38:57 AM EDT
[#40]
More info and video here

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/19/shot-2022-sionyx-opsin/
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Ar15Niel:
More info and video here

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/19/shot-2022-sionyx-opsin/
View Quote

Thanks for posting the link - they need to put a lot more info out there along with photo based comparisons under different conditions.  

Specifically at low light e.g. inside a building unaided plus starlight under trees.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Very interesting. The Pro is a known quantity - it is very capable down to NL4 (meaning: you can do anything analog guys can do). NL5 is where it loses. SHOT hype aside, I hope this pans out - I don't need it, since I have BNVDs now, but may buy one anyway, to replace the Pro in my HMT setup with an MH25. PLEASE JUST LET IT ACCEPT WILCOX DOVETAILS SO WE CAN USE IT WITH OUR CURRENT STUFF.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:

Thanks for posting the link - they need to put a lot more info out there along with photo based comparisons under different conditions.  

Specifically at low light e.g. inside a building unaided plus starlight under trees.  

View Quote

Yea, you always have to wonder about marketing peeps: First thing I would have done for SHOT, was put a Pro and the OPSIN on a Bridge, and simultaneously record as I go through different environments.... Ah well, we'll see. Also, we know that they were tweaking the Pro, right up until release - so I'm sure wherever it is now, it will get a smidge better by summer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Interesting but at $2500 I'm buying gen3 analog. The whole advantage of the Sionyx is that you're NOT paying $2500.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Interesting but at $2500 I'm buying gen3 analog. The whole advantage of the Sionyx is that you're NOT paying $2500.
View Quote

Agreed. For that money I would go analog.

Hopefully they'll trim the price down to around $1500. That would seem more reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Yup. Especially in this legacy "Format"

Why retain the format of the analog tubes when it's not needed for the digital implementations? One HUGE advantage of going digital will be eliminating the long heavy tubes hanging off the front of your helmet.

Someone else commented about using wilcox instead of the dovetail they chose. Okay, but forget about all those mounts.

The display should be a ski google type format, the sensors... maybe integrated to the top of those, but maybe separately helmet mounted for early generation, heavier/heat generating components mounted to the top, side back of the helmet.

Not criticizing Sionyx, I am sure this is just the quickest way to market for a dedicated tactical NV.

But for the price, capabilities and lack of advantages that we can gain from a digital format, the analog alternatives are going to be hard to pass up until further gens of this come out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#47]
People don’t want $2,500 digital NV. The success of the Aurora was based solely on people who were basically looking to avoid anything above $1k.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By sabre331:
Fwiw, I mounted a primary arms SLx 1x micro prism in front of the Aurora on my x95 along with an inforce 700 lumen w/ir light, the SLx works perfectly with it
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31920/6AD24B99-FDB0-4DDD-9630-D1E065DFFB86_jpe-2119910.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31920/B9E09F67-5E2C-4B0E-96F5-237BF5E9DDC0_jpe-2126170.JPG

View Quote

@sabre331

I know its been a while since you posted this, but do you know the distances to the trailer & treeline in your pic?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By French1966:
People don’t want $2,500 digital NV.
View Quote

I will take 2500 Digital NV. Easily more for that matter.

If it breaks the legacy NV tube format and is competitive performance wise.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SteyrAugz:

I will take 2500 Digital NV. Easily more for that matter.

If it breaks the legacy NV tube format and is competitive performance wise.
View Quote

Not to mention - Joe Average who, just trolls IG mfgs, is going to get an XLS GP 14 for about $100 more. Photonis Echos are $300 more, and anything better than those, you're in the 3's + (this just one suppliers pricing, YMMV). Using the EE or like, will net better I'm sure, but are those warranties transferable? And, if you qualify, hopefully places like ExpertVoice are about $250-$500 cheaper. Grey Scale or Color, GPS and Compass (probably). Maybe Bluetooth (like Thermals) for all sorts of integration. Zero tube damage worry. Probably still not ITAR.

It'll all depend on what the Sensor can do - it sounds like this is an offshoot of the IVAS Sensor. And I mean c.o.m.e. - o.n... "Build us just an NVD, no camera BS...make it more sensitive and lower latency". OK, here... "What!? it's not under $1K!? Boooooooo, you suck!" LOL.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top