Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ordered a night stalker tripod on December 15th (after seeing the post on here that they were "shipping now"). Got an email that it was 3-4 weeks out after placing the order. I emailed them today to get an update and its still "several" weeks out so I cancelled the order, now I'm at the week of my coyote tournament with no tripod and $315 to spend to find something comparable and have it overnight shipped. Any suggestions in the $300-500 price range? Should I go back with my original plan of getting a manfrotto? I'm running a heavy setup so I need something fairly sturdy.
View Quote
If you want something that's as sturdy as it gets, check out Manfrotto's sister company Gitzo. Having been in the photography business at one point in time, I can attest to Gitzo's quality and sturdiness. Their Mountaineer series is as good as it gets. Professional grade.

Gitzo Tripods.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Id like to use my primos with some sort of qd mount is that possible?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Id like to use my primos with some sort of qd mount is that possible?
View Quote
You can use a Manfrotto 322RC2 with either the LaRue rail grabber or a plate attached to the bottom of a saddle. It's an 'eh' setup. It's nice to be hands free, but you don't gain too much overall stability. I would also be very cautious in any off camber situations. This isn't a setup that I'd really trust holding a high $ rifle/thermal/NV combo.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want something that's as sturdy as it gets, check out Manfrotto's sister company Gitzo. Having been in the photography business at one point in time, I can attest to Gitzo's quality and sturdiness. Their Mountaineer series is as good as it gets. Professional grade.

Gitzo Tripods.
View Quote
I don’t mind dropping money if I have to but  $1000 for a tripod?  Pass. Lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't mind dropping money if I have to but  $1000 for a tripod?  Pass. Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gitzo Tripods.
I don't mind dropping money if I have to but  $1000 for a tripod?  Pass. Lol
Your choice. Buy once, cry once and all that stuff.

Incidentally, you can get into a Gitzo far under the $1000 mark.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Tracking number received for my pre-xmas order of the Nightstalker.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can use a Manfrotto 322RC2 with either the LaRue rail grabber or a plate attached to the bottom of a saddle. It's an 'eh' setup. It's nice to be hands free, but you don't gain too much overall stability. I would also be very cautious in any off camber situations. This isn't a setup that I'd really trust holding a high $ rifle/thermal/NV combo.
View Quote
i don't know if you're referring to a specific tripod, because you didn't.
but your remark about the manfrotto ballhead is absolute nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I should have been more clear. I was thinking $1000 compared to the price of the nightstalker.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I should have been more clear. I was thinking $1000 compared to the price of the nightstalker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic dismissed my earlier statement that it's a good choice for its price but didn't compare to the (much) higher priced Feisol or RRS( probably Gitzo as well; haven't tried one) options because I hadn't tried a Nightstalker. I tried one yesterday. I stand my my original opinion. Better by a long shot than trigger sticks or Bog Pods, I'd probably pick one over a Manfrotto(very comparable, imo), but not a LR precision tripod(and not marketed to be).
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We actually dismiiss a lot of what you say....We know the routine.

Hope you had a good hunt in that frigid east coast weather. I heard it was miserable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic dismissed my earlier statement that it's a good choice for its price but didn't compare to the (much) higher priced Feisol or RRS( probably Gitzo as well; haven't tried one) options because I hadn't tried a Nightstalker. I tried one yesterday. I stand my my original opinion. Better by a long shot than trigger sticks or Bog Pods, I'd probably pick one over a Manfrotto(very comparable, imo), but not a LR precision tripod(and not marketed to be).
We actually dismiiss a lot of what you say....We know the routine.

Hope you had a good hunt in that frigid east coast weather. I heard it was miserable.
@TNVC
Well Vic, of all the posts I've made that you could use to downplay any knowledge I might have and raise that pedestal you place yourself on as an unbiased SME, this sure isn't the one you should pick. I'm not wrong. It's not like it was so close a comparison that it might vary due to personal opinion. It was no contest. I had a RRS TVC34L with a BH55, a Feisol 3372 with a Manfrotto 468MGQ6  head, and one of the Nightstalkers all lined up and we put my 14lb 22 Hellcat AR, my buddy's heavier RPR and a lighter 18" 5.56 AR and swapped them all around. All used Arca Swiss adapters, no saddles.
I'd like to also note that I was both honest and unbiased in my statement that the Nightstalker compares favorably to the Manfrotto offerings which are more expensive. So I'm not quite sure why the hostility or insistence that it is something that it's not. I mean, did you bring this out to compete with the high end models or the Bog Pods, Trigger Sticks, Manfrottos and other low to mid range offerings?

Yeah, it was quite a bit colder in GA than we'd planned for. And, due to deer season/leases,  our 62k acres was cut a good bit.  I kind of wished that  I'd just stayed and hunted in MD. However, I was able to meet both Crowminator and Robert Gradous. Both were quite worththe trip and we owe them both.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a bog pod, for the money it's pretty slick.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was in conjunction with Primos Trigger Sticks. With so much flex in the legs, it doesn't matter what ballhead you place on top. It will still flex. I guess I can say it again. I wouldn't trust that setup in off camber situations with a high $ rifle setup. Yes, your rifle would still be clamped tight in that head even if it hit the ground.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you not see the quote I was responding to?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#19]
What are folks' thoughts on the PIG Tripod?
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the gen 3 trigger stick which is great and lightweight for on the move hunting but just bought a night stalker with pig saddle for a more robust stationary option. I’ll let you know how I like it in a month when it’s delivered.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That Night Stalker PRO tho! 66 lbs capacity yet only weighs 7.3 lbs with ball-head.
View Quote
Tom - i'm interested - can you use this on the move - can you share a video to show the operation of the Stalker Pro?
mostly stalking and need a quick stable platform...
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Got online to buy a Night Stalker and there’s been a price increase. Now $159.99.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I figured it was either that or a response to demand.

It is what it is. Last time I went out it was all quick stalk. I’m likely to order one after I get my thermal.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When we placed our order with the manufacturer, we where informed that the cost of raw carbon fiber materials had increased recently and as a result, our cost did as well. We work on very slim margins with these tripods so naturally, the price had to increase.

They're still a fantastic value in our opinion. But hey, we're kinda biased...

Here's a couple videos I promised some others. More to come...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S1F3QHzRcs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZU_alZu0M4
View Quote
Cool. Thanks. The videos are very helpful.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#30]
you dont have to spend very much to get a nice tripod to hold a rifle.

lots of good options out there from the camera industry, I picked this one up on amazon prime for something like $70

for the rifle saddle I took some scrap steel and welded a box, drilled a hole for the camera screw on the base pad (1/4-20)
put a regular old nut and washer on it to attach the saddle.
lined it with some foam padding and a shot of camo spray paint.

easy peasy rifle tripod with tons of adjustment
you can experiment with different options for the saddle, mine just didnt cost me anything and is super strong.

Here is a pic before paint once I first got it assembled
The ball head is plenty enough to hold my RPR no problem at all

proof that it works after some camo paint
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks like it works xLucidx.

The best way to mount the rifle to a tripod in my opinion is a direct mount, such as the CRETAC Picatinny to Arca-Swiss Adapter. Super solid and works perfectly with all Night Stalker Ball-Heads.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4651/39129096635_4f8d11e834_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4623/25156585897_0eef0d1a9b_o.jpg
We have them in-stock!
View Quote
Thats pretty trick, my ball head mount is made just like that.

I may pick one up just to have as an option.
My only gripe with a direct mount and hunting yotes is 99% of the time I am by myself so if one comes in quiet behind me or off to the side I dont want a saddle or direct mount I have to fiddle with to get my rifle free.

I live in the backwoods where its super thick and most encounters are pretty close. I shot that one at about 25-30 yards

The one I made is just enough to hold the rifle, but I can pull the rifle out easily if I need to spin 90-120 degrees when they arent looking.
I know it can be unscrewed, just preference I guess.

however, that direct mount would be perfect for shooting steel. I may have to order one up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top