Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2017 9:26:13 PM EDT
Just received my new pvs 14 and it's not a sensitive as I would have thought.
If I go in a pitch black room I can not see any better then without the pvs 14. I can't see my hand in front of my face.
I do have the gain turned up. It's been a while but I remember the old anpvs 5 I had in the Army in 1993 brighter.
Maybe my memory is fading
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Only amplifies light. If there's no light in the room there's nothing to amplify.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Ummmm......you did have the lens cap off right?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
it sounds stupid but I did the exact same thing. I was so pumped to try out my tnvc pvs14 that I put the battery in it, took it outside to fire it up annnnnd.... disappointment. adjusted the gain and it was only marginally better. brought it back in to troubleshoot and stupid me left the daylight cap on. THATS when the tnvc goodness kicked in and I got to look through that beautiful tube lol. felt like an idiot, glad I'm not the only one
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to clarify  No caps on nothing but glass front and back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
put the battery in?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Is this GD
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this GD
View Quote
hey just checking, mine is way brighter than my old PVS14
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have a comparison to test this one with just my memory from my time in. It's probably ok.
I have a port window in one bathroom and the neighbors rear light puts a moon bright glare in that room I figured would make it glow in there.
I can barely make out my reflection in the mirror.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Gain is all the way down and that building in my backyard is about 250 feet from the back deck where I was standing just now. Did you get your unit from TNVC? I'm using a fresh ever ready lithium battery
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the battery that came with it in there I'v tried both they send. It is TNVC top gen 3 wp pvs 14.
If I turn my gain all the way down then I can see better with my eyes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ummmm......you did have the lens cap off right?
View Quote
This. There is no way that tube should look anything like an older tube.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169304/C7D8C186-A017-4833-B6FE-57D008607FBF-368860.jpgGain is all the way down and that building in my backyard is about 250 feet from the back deck where I was standing just now. Did you get your unit from TNVC? I'm using a fresh ever ready lithium battery
View Quote
Gain all down?  Man I’ve got good Omni 7 thin filmed tubes and they are dark as fuck with the gain all the way down.

Im going to have to get my hands on filmless WP.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just received my new pvs 14 and it's not a sensitive as I would have thought.
If I go in a pitch black room I can not see any better then without the pvs 14. I can't see my hand in front of my face.
I do have the gain turned up. It's been a while but I remember the old anpvs 5 I had in the Army in 1993 brighter.
Maybe my memory is fading
View Quote
Post your specs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Friend of mine bought a Bering Optics pvs-14 Gen2 WP last year. Pic is with about half-moon conditions. You sure the gain is working correctly?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Tough to say really. Looks really dark compared to my unit. What kind of specs did the data sheet say?
It's also difficult to judge phone pics to live eyes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Your tube gain and brightness settings may be off. These settings are made at the factory before the tube ships out. Sometimes they are set wrong. Ive seen it a few times before. These settings are not user adjustable and need a special programming interface unit to adjust. If thats the case then the tube shouldnt have left tge factory like that, but it does happen on rare occaions. The more puzzling thing to me, if this is whats going on, is how it was sold to you in this condition. it should have been caught when/if the unit was tested by the seller and sent back to L-3 for adjustment. If the tuve is still under warranty i woyld reccomend going that route. If not you can send it to me abd i can see if that is actually whats going on with your tube and if it is i can adjust the brightness and gain to the optimal sttings using the prigramming interface unit i possess. Let me kniw if you want me to try that for you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#22]
@TNVC_Sam is this normal for his WPT in a dark room?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#24]
In My 1st post the gain was all the way up in the bathroom but it was pitch black other then a little light from bottom of the door.
I talked to Sam yesterday and he looked at the pics I posted above and told me it looked good.
If he says it's good I'm fine with that.
I haven't looked through night vision in over 20 years and just thought a cellular phone light would make a whole room glow with this new stuff.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

this will void your warranty, please do not send to anybody but the TNVC repair dept.
View Quote
If you noticed at all, i recommended that if still under warranty he should go that route. If it wasnt then he wouldnt have much of a choice if this was going on with his tube. And if the repair department doesnt have the programming interface which im almost positive it wouldnt then the tube would be sent back to L-3 for the same adjustments i can perform using the same exact piece of equipment L-3 would be using.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In My 1st post the gain was all the way up in the bathroom but it was pitch black other then a little light from bottom of the door.
I talked to Sam yesterday and he looked at the pics I posted above and told me it looked good.
If he says it's good I'm fine with that.
I haven't looked through night vision in over 20 years and just thought a cellular phone light would make a whole room glow with this new stuff
View Quote
I work with tuves every day(rebuilding/repair/repot) and use and test them constantly and Just from comparing your pics and the pics the others have posted as well as have personally used multiple L-3 high spec unfilmed wp tubes id have to say that it is not performing anywhere close to where it should be. If you havent looked thru night vision in 20 yeqrs and thes unfilmed tubes dont blow your mind the first few times you viewed thru them, and a cellphone sxreen doesbt make tge entire room light up and allow you to see all tge objects in the room with a good degree of detail, then yes something is deffinitly not right. No question about it. Invoke the warranty
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok. So he diagnosed the tube as good from looking at photos taken then downloaded to a computer and the he viewed them. cool. Look at what you typed and then think about it for a second.

To OP. Invoke the warranty. You will be hwpoy you did
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#31]
If the OP turns on a sell phone screen in a dark room using one of these tubes he shouldnt need to say that after 20 years of not using NV he would have thought that a cell phobe screen would hace made the room glow a bit more. If anyone that has used a l-3 unfilmed tube that was operating without issue tried this then what the op is feeling about the performance of the tube then wouldnt even be a thought that crosses there minds. A cell phone would illuminate the room very well and you would be able to see objects with a more than fair amount of detail. The other thing is from what the OP posted it is obvious that even after talking with customer service he isnt exactly satisfied with the unit that he just paid up big money to get. So that should be your main concern always. Not on whether or not you think someone is advertising their business on a internet q&a forum website. Which i was not. If i was you could probavly tell me the name of my business. Im willing to bet you cant. That doesnt sound like advertising to me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#32]
The people I have dealt with at TNVC have been great. If there is anything wrong I'm sure I'll be taken care of.
I don't think anything is wrong but I'll post some more pics when I get a chance. I'll try and find a field with no house lights. I can post a pic of the spec sheet. I have no idea what it all means or when the testing is done durring the build process.
Like I said TNVC has been great and I'm going to be ordering some more stuff next week. I wish that Meyers male was in stock.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Im just saying it sounded like you were not fully satisfied and just from what you have posted it deffinitly sounds like there is an issue with the tube. The data sheet is something that is pribted out at the l-3 facility where the tube is manufactured and has nothing to do with the tube being built into a system.  Im going to maintain that the tube is having an issue, but im done with the back and forth as it wasnt ever meant to be such a big deal to smply tell someone that if there seems to be a problemthen assume there is and use the warranty as that is what it is for. Hope everything works out well for you if you have any other issues with the tube.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok here is an inside pic in pitch dark in my hall way. Light around closed door is nothing but computer monitor turned on and room is dark with shades closed. The light above the door is the smoke alarm light. Gain is full on no Ir lume. I'm just wanting to learn and not cause any problems. My user name can stand for jon101 questions
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ok here is an inside pic in pitch dark in my hall way. Light around closed door is nothing but computer monitor turned on and room is dark with shades closed. The light above the door is the smoke alarm light. Gain is full on no Ir lume. I'm just wanting to learn and not cause any problems. My user name can stand for jon101 questions
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/133053/20171122_183426-370485.jpg
View Quote
As was stated its gard to tell for sure from pictures, but i can help you to figure out for sure. I am willing to send you a monocular with a slightly blemisged autogated thin filmed tube abd you can compare it side by side with your wp unfilmed tube. the phosphor type or even blemishes are of no concern for the testing you will be doing. You need to find out if your tube is performing better than the one i send you. If it isnt then theres deffinitly a problem With your tube. If it is it should be out performing the green tube by a good bit and it should be easily noticable when comparing each side by side in tge exact same low light conditions. After you test and know for sure if there is an issue or not, just send the mono back to me . Lmk if you would like me to send it so you can figure this out for sure one way or the other abd then you can proceed accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#36]
One other thing is you said you would post a picture of the spec sheet in a previous post. Do not post that picture. The L-3 data sheets for these High spec unfilmed tubes should have large background text behind text saying do not post online anditalso states that the reason is it is controlled info under US ITAR and posting pictures online and public aharing of the controlled info on tge document is a punishable federal crime. Just a heads up on that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As was stated its gard to tell for sure from pictures, but i can help you to figure out for sure. I am willing to send you a monocular with a slightly blemisged autogated thin filmed tube abd you can compare it side by side with your wp unfilmed tube. the phosphor type or even blemishes are of no concern for the testing you will be doing. You need to find out if your tube is performing better than the one i send you. If it isnt then theres deffinitly a problem With your tube. If it is it should be out performing the green tube by a good bit and it should be easily noticable when comparing each side by side in tge exact same low light conditions. After you test and know for sure if there is an issue or not, just send the mono back to me . Lmk if you would like me to send it so you can figure this out for sure one way or the other abd then you can proceed accordingly.
View Quote
I appreciate the offer and it is a extremely generous offer to send a couple grand worth of gear to a stranger to test.
I also just glanced at the spec sheet when I got my new pvs 14 and did not notice the itar thing. After my post I was warned about it.
I'm going to play with it a while as I'm on vacation and I'll figure it out. When I get a chance to drive out away from city lights and see it with just the night sky
I think I will be able to tell for sure. I have a good warranty and trust TNVG. I did look at the sky tonight and seen some weird space junk or something moving around
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok. Well if after you use it a while and your still unsure and would like to try it side by side witha green mono, just hit me up and ill get you set up to find out for sure.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ok. Well if after you use it a while and your still unsure and would like to try it side by side witha green mono, just hit me up and ill get you set up to find out for sure.
View Quote
Slow down and type correctly.  Speaking "authoritatively" on NV with grammatical errors every third word hurts your credibility.  And backing up, TNVC has posted multiple times on the thread.  All NV needs ambient light to work effectively.

OP, only work with TNVC.  They're good people and will take care of you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Slow down and type correctly.  Speaking "authoritatively" on NV with grammatical errors every third word hurts your credibility.  And backing up, TNVC has posted multiple times on the thread.  All NV needs ambient light to work effectively.

View Quote
This is due to my keyboard on my phobe.its overly sensitive and im not suoer great at texting without looking at the characters. Just never was a good texter. O well. I dont think it makes what i write impossible to decipher and the substance contained in my posts should be more than enough to put any credibility that a few spelling errors supposedly take away back and then some. I cant talk with my voice on a website so that is just the way it is.

There a ton of good people in the industry to work with and can take care of any customer jyst as well as anyone else. Lets not forget about that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Hi Jon, I started out with a PVS-5 and thought it was coolest thing ever. Going with high end Gen 3 since then has only upped the wow factor (considerably). None of my friends have ever looked through any of my gear and remained unimpressed. Maybe, just maybe, me and every single person I've ever met so far is too easily impressed. I really doubt if anyone would look thru a high end NV device and remain unimpressed or wonder if it should be doing more. Gen 3 is impressive and with an unfilmed WP tube there really should be no concern that it might be lagging in performance, even to an untrained eye. A mobile phone screen will light up a room thru NV.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 1:48:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hi Jon, I started out with a PVS-5 and thought it was coolest thing ever. Going with high end Gen 3 since then has only upped the wow factor (considerably). None of my friends have ever looked through any of my gear and remained unimpressed. Maybe, just maybe, me and every single person I've ever met so far is too easily impressed. I really doubt if anyone would look thru a high end NV device and remain unimpressed or wonder if it should be doing more. Gen 3 is impressive and with an unfilmed WP tube there really should be no concern that it might be lagging in performance, even to an untrained eye. A mobile phone screen will light up a room thru NV.
View Quote
I have a Pinnacle Gen3+ that, with almost no ambient light...does not show an image effectively.  This is the case with all NV devices.  He should continue to work directly with TNVC to determine what exactly the issue is, if any
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is due to my keyboard on my phobe.its overly sensitive and im not suoer great at texting without looking at the characters. Just never was a good texter. O well. I dont think it makes what i write impossible to decipher and the substance contained in my posts should be more than enough to put any credibility that a few spelling errors supposedly take away back and then some. I cant talk with my voice on a website so that is just the way it is.

There a ton of good people in the industry to work with and can take care of any customer jyst as well as anyone else. Lets not forget about that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except it could void the warranty.  He's in good hands with whom he purchased from
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top