Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2017 3:34:30 PM EDT
Surprisingly this hadn't been addressed in the "Do's and Dont's of NVGs" thread the last time I went through it (at least not directly and definitively):

Is exposing your UNCOVERED objective lense to bright light bad for the tube when the unit is powered off, or when the battery has been removed? Does this risk reducing tube lifespan, or risk blemishing a tube? Or is this only possible when the unit is powered on?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This was asked many times a few years ago with some debated until an ITT factory photo showed hundreds of PVS-14 on the floor built up ready for shipment with NO day light covers on. The answer is NO, but do take the batteries out when not in extended use and to avoid leakage. And for added protection, also leave the day cap on in case the unit gets accidentally turned on with batteries in
View Quote
THANK YOU.

I was very surprised how difficult it has been to find this simple answer.

I always take the battery out and have the cover on for extra assurance.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem most  of the time but dont leave on the dash of yor car in the Texas sun. It will burn the photocathode.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 4:41:15 AM EDT
[#4]
if you have just been using it and turned it off - then it can be affected by light - there must be some residual charge in the system , so allways put the caps on straight away.
i have had a ghost image on both tubes by fliping unit up to turn off then taking it off head   , putting it down - then building lights turned on and it left for not long , it was pointing up , lucky the image faded away after some time but it shows it can happen .
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you have just been using it and turned it off - then it can be affected by light - there must be some residual charge in the system , so allways put the caps on straight away.
i have had a ghost image on both tubes by fliping unit up to turn off then taking it off head   , putting it down - then building lights turned on and it left for not long , it was pointing up , lucky the image faded away after some time but it shows it can happen .
View Quote
Good point.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
definatley gen3 anvis goggles with itt tubes , perhaps if i had left them a few minutes or even 30 seconds they would have de-energised and it may have been ok but i fliped them up and took them off head and straight away light was turned on and they were laid on the floor pointed upwards for a few minutes - and it happened , i dont think its worth taking the risk , like i said it went away but i was worried when i first saw it
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top