Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 3:44:06 AM EDT
house is maybe 125 yards away.

I  have been real happy with my PVS 7 but the time is come for me to upgrade to a 14.  Probably by July of next year .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you used a 14 before?  I have two and run them at times dual.  Love the both eyes view.  Was really considering getting a 7 for my kid (and me) to try out.... Let me know your thoughts on the 7's limitations please.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you used a 14 before?  I have two and run them at times dual.  Love the both eyes view.  Was really considering getting a 7 for my kid (and me) to try out.... Let me know your thoughts on the 7's limitations please.  Thanks
View Quote
I have used 7Bs, 14s, and 23s.

limits for the 7?
mine is not manual diming, only auto. I like it darker. Field of view is lacking at times. So you flip them up to keep Situational awareness but your eye's NV is shot b/c the light output in too much. You are getting the same view in each eye, no deep really. Can not mount on a rifle

Still very happy, 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Every time I ever wore a 7 I would end up busting my ass or face planting horribly. They feel like what you'd give to someone as a practical joke.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every time I ever wore a 7 I would end up busting my ass or face planting horribly. They feel like what you'd give to someone as a practical joke.
View Quote
In a world of blind men, the one eyed man is king.

This is not a going on patrol set, this is a bump in the night set.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The PVS-7 is at this point an antique, its a 30 year old biocular NV design.

It offers all of the disadvantages of a dual tube system and none of the advantages of a monocular.

Years ago it was a good system but is has been far surpassed by even the tried and true -14 which is 20 years old at this point.

PVS-7's are tough to support logistically when compared to a -14 and the ruggedness leave a lot to be desired when compared to a -14

I have never heard a customer say they'd want their -7 back after upgrading to either a -14 or a true dual tube system.
View Quote
Meh, I still use my 7's a fair amount, and I own a shitload of "better" NV, but its mainly because I won't cry if I break them (same rationale goes for my 5's). But Sam is mostly right, the lack of depth perception is an issue, the fact the tube is further in front of your face than a mono/bino system is an issue for close in work. The both eyes are no longer dark adapted can be an issue. I guess its mainly "what are you going to use it for" kind of a question, for random bumbling around in the dark they are fine IMO, for super cool tacicool ninja shit, they have a few drawbacks. The big advantage they had when they were introduced was that they were half the price of a set of PVS-5's (1 tube vs 2), and the Army had alot of soldiers and budgets during the Clinton era weren't exactly "great", they were also somewhat lighter than the PVS-5. Ironically enough there were mono units out there at about the same time, but the Army wasn't sold on the idea of one aided eye and one unaided eye.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The PVS-7 is at this point an antique, its a 30 year old biocular NV design.

It offers all of the disadvantages of a dual tube system and none of the advantages of a monocular.

Years ago it was a good system but is has been far surpassed by even the tried and true -14 which is 20 years old at this point.

PVS-7's are tough to support logistically when compared to a -14 and the ruggedness leave a lot to be desired when compared to a -14

I have never heard a customer say they'd want their -7 back after upgrading to either a -14 or a true dual tube system.
View Quote
I did.

I had a gen 3 pvs 7. Loved it. I never had an issue with depth or walking around. Then, like an idiot I let everyone talk me into a 14. Lasted exactly until I put it up to my eye the very first minute I opened up the box and ran to a dark closet.

I immediately came out and ordered another one.

I’m not hunting humans. Even if I was a 7 with a laser will be far superior to 99% of the perps I’ll run into.

I realize I’m in the minority.

I’m actually kicking the idea (sorta.....maybe) around of selling both of my 14’s to get a 7 with a nice WP tube. Again, I realize most think I’m crazy. But I do use my stuff and I know what works for me.

A single 14......just so meh to me. Again, for my circumstances
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Im the odd one out, I love my 7. I use it for hunting coyotes and have no problem navigating on foot, driving, or setting up my caller. Tried a friends 14 and really didnt like the one eye view. I usually hunt in pitch black conditions (no moon) so having one eye free seems to do nothing for me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#10]
youre not the odd one out - i like the  7's , i have avs9, 14's etc but the one i grab and go is the 7's , like said for walking or driving they are ok , the avs is of course better but the 7's are tough , quick and easy to use and i like the two eye view better that a monocular
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
youre not the odd one out - i like the  7's , i have avs9, 14's etc but the one i grab and go is the 7's , like said for walking or driving they are ok , the avs is of course better but the 7's are tough , quick and easy to use and i like the two eye view better that a monocular
View Quote
Yeah, definitely not the odd one out plenty of people like em just fine, and for people on a budget they are still somewhat cheaper than a 14.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a big fan of the PVS-7 myself. Yes having depth perception is nice, but when I'm wearing these things for hours while out hog hunting the PVS-14 gives me a bad headache. Something to do with one eye being able to see and the other being unaided.

To me the 7 is just more comfortable, especially in a static environment. Yes, the 14 is superior in a tactical situation and is much more flexible. But for helmet mounting and using for hours on end, give me the PVS-7 all day long.

Dual tube goggles are no doubt the ultimate, and if I had the cash I'd have a pair of them. Until then, the PVS-7 is just fine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Well Im not such the odd one after all Question for anyone that may know. Is there any company that sells WP tubes for the 7? Ive searched the inter-web and it seems to be a unicorn.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't you mean all night long?
View Quote
Man I don't hunt all night.

Most activity where I hunt is within three hours of dusk, and between 4-6 a.m. The hogs and coyotes active during those wee morning hours are same from me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well Im not such the odd one after all Question for anyone that may know. Is there any company that sells WP tubes for the 7? Ive searched the inter-web and it seems to be a unicorn.
View Quote
I think L3 makes, or made, filmless WP 10130 tubes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]
im odd also,i suppose!..i have both a 14 and a 7..actually i had a gen 2 plus 7 and sold that to buy a gen 3 7!..i only use it for dicking around outside,however for some reason i just seem to prefer it over the 14.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I usually choose 7's over 14's while at work when given the choice. They ride better and balance better in my opinion. For the same reason I bought a pair of 7's as well. I've got a 14 kit I'm getting ready to build up but I still like the 7's better.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I find the 7s are handy for quick use, and great as loaners for friends.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This

Plus the added weight of the 7 always made it feel like it was sliding down or busting my neck.

The 14 is nice for weapons mount, but the 7 is still an option if your using paq4 or something. Or if you can somehow contort your neck to use optics, maybe shoot from the chin with the 7? Idk, they both have advantages I guess.  My vote goes for the 14 though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Never have had a problem with the weight of my 7....but I do use a counter weight so my lid is nice and balanced.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#22]
To be fair, I think some of the PVS-7 hate comes from (myself included) guys that have had to use them for prolonged periods with either a USGI skull crusher, or with a PASGT with the old, terrible liner and two point harness/chinstrap. Moving to the MICH/PVS-14 from that was a game changer.

I'm not a huge '7 fan, as I've said many times before, I think they have all the disadvantages of a bino system coupled with all the disadvantages of a monocular system, but they are still better than nothing and fairly cheap. There are also those folks who simply can't use a monocular without getting a tension headache. They're certainly not unusable, but in addition, they come with the odd tube that can't really be used in anything else and the built-in mount (I'm also a bayonet "hater," and the A/C models are fairly rare and not usually what people talk about when they talk about PVS-7s).

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top