Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2017 5:25:11 PM EDT
I've seen this question asked a lot but with no clear answer. The only reason I bring this up as a new topic is because at the time I purchased mine (April 2016), there apparently was a transition period where Photonis was being bought out. At the moment I ordered the PVS-14, the website still listed it as a Photonis tube and that it also came with a spec sheet. After placing the order, I found out it would not come with a spec sheet,l. I asked if they could possibly tell me what model tube the Photonis I have was. They informed me that couldn't guarantee that I got a tube that has Photonis markings. At that point I wondered if I bought the PLUS model and paid for a Photonis tube, but may not have received a Photonis tube. I'm not making acusations, just maybe hoping for some clarification.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
A pure guess, but could be Harder Digital Gen2+ too. Here in EU the, a mid range Gen2+ from HD is slightly cheaper than a similarly specd Photonis. Photonis obviously makes tubes HD Gen2+ can't touch, but those come with a nice price tag.

I remember someone from NGI saying they are sourcing tubes from all over Europe.

Edit: alrighty Photonis it is
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes the + models were Photonis and they were not issuing data sheets. That was all.
View Quote
Gotcha. So what're the odds that the one I purchased at that time is an actual Photons?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pretty good chance it was, but this was well over a year ago. Any reason you did not send it in to us way back when?  Not being a wise ass but if their was discrepancy back then as you mentioned I would have looked at it.  Either way, if you're not happy with the unit be happy to look at it. Easy day.  PM sent as well.
View Quote
I never sent it back because I was plenty happy with It! It's a great looking tube and performs quite well. I was just curious about it. I've just been going though some of the other threads, some recent, some archived,  and was just trying to find it more about the unit I have based on info available.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ahh, got it. Be happy to answer the other threads as well...Just did not see them or missed them.  Well except for the archive ones, I cannot post back.
View Quote
I would just like to clarify in full view of everyone that I am completely content with the unit I received regardless of tube manufacturer. As I stated in another thread, my NGI sees the most use of all my PVS-14s. I don't want my curiosity to be mistaken for discontent. I was just curious to learn more about it. I must extend my apologies if I came off in such a way that would seem as though I had taken any issue with NGI/TNVC as they've been completely honest and transparent. I've Just been digging for info on all three of my systems recently due to the free time I've had. I just got a spec sheet for my Armasight PVS-14 After two years lol. Rest assured, I am plenty happy with my NGI PVS-14.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pretty good chance it was, but this was well over a year ago. Any reason you did not send it in to us way back when?  Not being a wise ass but if their was discrepancy back then as you mentioned I would have looked at it.  Either way, if you're not happy with the unit be happy to look at it. Easy day.  PM sent as well.

Edit you mentioned "I've seen this question asked a lot but with no clear answer." Where is are these questions asked a lot here? Maybe I missed it, but be happy to answer those places as well.
View Quote
To answer your question about "where", this is the archived thread that I was referring to.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-gen2-vs-gen-3-PVS14/18-451746/?page=3

While basically everyone was arguing about gen2 vs gen3 and photos lol, I saw in there somewhere that the PLUS model came with Photonis,  then when I bought mine there was the whole transition thing , so that's where my curiosity came from. Lol I wasn't wrapped up in the generation thing or the photos. That thread was..... an interesting read haha.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered one and am waiting for it to come in. Is there any chance of getting one with a Photonis tube or are they pretty much gone at this point? If not Photonis, what will I be getting? I'm sure I'll be quite happy with it, whatever I end up with.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just ordered one and am waiting for it to come in. Is there any chance of getting one with a Photonis tube or are they pretty much gone at this point? If not Photonis, what will I be getting? I'm sure I'll be quite happy with it, whatever I end up with.
View Quote
From what it seems, not likely. They won't divulge exactly where they get their tubes. It's multiple sources, but I've yet to see anywhere they mentioned those sources.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok. Like I said, I'm sure I'll be happy with it at any rate.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok. Like I said, I'm sure I'll be happy with it at any rate.
View Quote
I imagine you will be. Like I've stated in other/earlier post, I'm not even 100% certain mine is Photonis but it does very well and I am plenty happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I got it last week and have had it out on several very dark nights. As good as it picks things up, I'm hard pressed to see how Gen 3 can be all that much better. Granted when I was active duty (89-97), the early PVS-7s were the best thing out there, and this does much better than them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top