Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2017 10:49:10 PM EDT
I don't know if I NEED night vision. All I really want to do is kill the coyotes eating my chickens. They are decimating my flock.

I have a 2 acre pasture next to my house.  I see coyotes from time to time in the pasture (killed a couple of them). It's 130yds from my back deck  to the wood line across the pasture.

I am looking for system to allow me to LOCATE the coyotes, IDENTIFY them as such (and not my neighbor's dogs), and TARGET them.

I started with just white lights mounted to my rifle. Those weren't powerful enough. Even with my brightest light, I can't do more than just see the reflecting eyes of something across the field. I can locate, but not ID.

I bought a Gen 1 tube to see if it would work, and returned it after realizing it is really just an IR receiver, and couldn't actually see in the dark without a really powerful IR unit. This would seriously limit my effective range

I played with a friend's thermal scope, but can't stomach (or afford) spending that much on a coyote killing solution.

What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I dod a quick google and it seems

https://stalktech.com

http://www.predatortactics.us/Media/Predator-Hunting-Blog-Night-Hunting-Lights-Tips/ArtMID/2009/ArticleID/24/Coyote-Hunting-Tips-on-Using-Coyote-Hunting-Lights

If you get the right light it should be good to at least 75 yards.... I would think.

Also maybe you could put a trailcam with internet connection out there for a close look?

Just some ideas...
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Some older school gen2 systems would enable you target out at 100yds on a budget. Something like a PVS-4 might work. The main issue would be target discrimination at longer range since its only a 4x system. Then again most dedicated night vision scopes top out at 6x or so. You might also consider a clip on NVD solution, but they will tend to cost more and usually aren't quite as good as a dedicated scope, but they do offer more flexibility. With regards to your neighbors dogs, can you just ask them to lock them up on the evenings you plan to try to hunt?

In terms of location, a thermal would be best, and even the cheaper ones should be able to spot a dog out at 100yds or so (not identify it, etc) depending on the terrain/foliage of course. But realistically with a bit of IR light you get a bunch of eye-shine from coyotes when you use night vision.

Also have you considered putting bait out?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Honestly if you want to control coyote populations you're way better off trapping than trying to hunt them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly if you want to control coyote populations you're way better off trapping than trying to hunt them.
View Quote
This is really the best answer, but hunting them is so much fun... so do both.

I would go with NV. Do you have a budget to spend on NV equipment? Your best bet is to spend the money on a good NV setup & it will last you forever.

We have a big coyote problem on our hunting property this year. I put this young one down the night before last at about 80 yards.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe a motion activated light with red bulb or lens out where the chickens are.  
 I have a cheap green laser that I have on flood that puts out a lot of light and doesn't spook them to bad .

Game cam to get a pattern might be useful.

Puppy in distress is the call i've had the best luck with may help.

Most have charged in and were about to attack the call, about 20 yds out.
 Pretty exciting to see them come in from a mile out to pistol range.

Traps also would be good because the bait is already there and may not spook and educate them like a rifle shot.
Top Top