Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 8:27:36 PM EDT
Posted this in the helmet pic thread, but figured I should start my own - currently have a Team Wendy *spit* Exfil. Looking to upgrade to a ballistic helmet. Sadly, I can't afford anything over $1k. Would like the ability to integrate earpro.

Current setup:

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of good options, I have limited comparative input (as I am one step short of having to use a 5 gal bucket as a helmet, so fit > all for me) but put these inside. https://tnvc.com/shop/4d-tactical-zero-g-deluxe-retrofit-combat-liner/
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny enough I have the same TW and was just looking on eBay.

These can use any Ops Core accessory and I've read some good reviews of them.

I imagine with the power of ARF being what it is, someone may have experience with them. :)

Arma Core Helmet
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard great reviews about hard headed veterans .com
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an airframe with multicam cover, think its the ops core shroud and wilcox lanyard on it I could sell you for under 1k. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]
There appear to be a number of ACH-type designs out there for $450-$650. For those who have experience with either/both, are the Crye/OpsCore offerings worth the difference in price?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Ops-core/Gentex just released their TBH II Mission Configurable Helmet, which is basically an Ops shell just made with different ballistic material, so it will be heavier than an ops core, but have all the compatibility of one. For $650, it is a pretty good deal. I was looking hard at one, but then in true form, ended up with a Maritime

They are pretty cool, but it seems production is a little slow on them. TNVC & Optactical get them in from time to time.

TBH II MCH

Either way, the upgrade from polymer to ballistic, I feel is worth it since it greatly reduces flex & wiggle in the optic. It was instantly noticeable between my base jump & maritime. The fact that its ballistic, super light weight & I can plug & play into the ops core ecosystem of accessories makes it all gravy as well, plus the new ops core helmet covers look dope
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
@TNVC @TNVC_Clasky opinions?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.trentontactical.com/ttg-lts-battle-helmet-marked-down-50/   . Take a look at these, the video is pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a TW ballistic that I ordered right before they derped.

It isn't as comfortable to me as my old ops core and I probably would have sold it anyway even if TW hadn't supported Hilldebeast. I'll probably get an Airframe at some point. My head is enormous so nothing fits great.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
3M has a new ultra light out that’s supposedly affordable and light.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ops Core, Exfils, and Airframes can be found under $1k it you look around or used.

Also:
Revision Viper A3
3M Combat Highcut
Gentex TBH-II MC

You can freely ignore anyone who would push you towards a Chinese made helmet line CPG, Arma core, HHV, etc...

I wouldn't worry necessarily worry about comfort. You can always put in a better pad system like a TW, lux liner, or 4D Tactical.

Since you're looking at a ballistic helmet, I'd recommend listening to Primary and Secondary'recent ballistic helmet podcast.
View Quote
Yeah, that's basically the list I'm looking at. Thread now with moar pole. Given the application (ballistic protection) and the inability to perform NDE on units that will be sold, I simply won't consider anything made in China.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been down this path several times, as I built ballistic helmets for me and my mates.  IMHO, the Gentex helmet at 650 is probably the best deal going.  I have bought ACH's and cut them down, then added all the extra doo-dads, and quite frankly unless you just really can't afford it (or really want to roll your own), you'd probably be better off just buying the damn Gentex helmet.  I mean by the time you add all the rails, cover, shroud, pads, suspension, etc.  you might save 150-200 bucks.

The Gentex comes standard with all the OpsCore goodness you would probably end up with anyway.

You can spend 1K on the OpscCore Maritime, or the Crye Airframe, but unless you have a high threat level for high explosives, and need the Airframe to help protect against TBI, you are paying hundreds more for cool factor.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How often do you plan on using this?

Cop? Mil? Regular at shoot house courses? Stuck in the gear bin for SHTF?
View Quote
I run around with my nods on quite a bit. I'm a civvie, but I have taken and plan to continue to take courses.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Revision in your choice of cut.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Revision in your choice of cut.
View Quote
Why that particular one @Caeser2001? Any specific desirable characteristics that put it at the top of your list? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why that particular one @Caeser2001? Any specific desirable characteristics that put it at the top of your list? Thanks!
View Quote
Value. It's the best ACH, for the least money, from a company that makes a ton of helmets for the military. I got a high cut Viper with MSS suspension, with ARC rails, for $420 delivered. Had it drilled 3 hole I stead of 1 hole by request, which cost $0. Then got a $40 Wilcox shroud. $460 got me a great helmet that stops IIIA level threats with upgraded suspension, ARC rails, and Wilcox shroud, brand new with factory warranty. Revision even has rails sized to their different helmet sizes. Great company to deal with directly. When they go on sale you get the same discount as LE sales price and they frequently go on sale.

Or you can spend double and save 10oz.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Value. It's the best ACH, for the least money, from a company that makes a ton of helmets for the military. I got a high cut Viper with MSS suspension, with ARC rails, for $420 delivered. Had it drilled 3 hole I stead of 1 hole by request, which cost $0. Then got a $40 Wilcox shroud. $460 got me a great helmet that stops IIIA level threats with upgraded suspension, ARC rails, and Wilcox shroud, brand new with factory warranty. Revision even has rails sized to their different helmet sizes. Great company to deal with directly. When they go on sale you get the same discount as LE sales price and they frequently go on sale.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pricing that out right now comes to more like $600, so still a cost advantage over the Gentex, with essentially the same features as far as I can tell.

(A) Any reason not to go this route as opposed to the Gentex?
(B) I assume the Revision helmets are compatible with all the same ACH goodies that the Gentex is?
(C) Which do you guys recommend, the MSS suspension system, or the 4D Tactical Zero G DELUXE Retrofit Combat Liner, or something else?

Sorry for all the questions - both bump helmets I've purchased have generally been out-of-the-box from the get-go.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this. You just have to shop around for better prices on all the parts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I have used both the Revision and Gentex helmets.  I give the edge slightly to Gentex.  Yes, the Revision rails and cover are a good value, but their suspension and pads are so-so.  The Gentex is going to come with OpsCore rails, and suspension (x-nape at least), not to mention a good shroud.  If you were going to start with a shell and build all the components yourself, either one would do.  But if you are buying a complete helmet, then the Gentex is still the best deal.

I bought the Revision high-cut helmet, and proceeded to trick it out with everything I really wanted, and basically didn't save very much.  In retrospect, I would have bought the Gentex.  BTW the OpsCore rails will not fit the Revision.  You either use a Revision helmet and rails, or a Gentex/OpsCore helmet and rails.  

I liked the TW suspension the best, because it fit with comms the best, but I no longer use their products.  So the next best thing is the OpsCore "X" nape suspension, unless you want to go to the dial-loc system.  The 4G pads are definitely the best out there, regardless of which way you jump.  Someone once said something to the effect of it's like putting your head in between to big t...well you get the picture.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#22]
You can get a really nice Revision Highcut Ballistic with a nice liner, nvg bracket etc. for around $500. They always have a 20% off coupon floating around as well. I highly recommend them
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lots of options,

Revision and the Gentex TBH come to mind for your needs. Flip a coin because they are both good but the Gentex while slightly more expensive does have the Ops Core Lux Liner standard in it which is more comfortable than the standard pads from revision.
View Quote
Thanks @TNVC_Sam. I appreciated our conversation on the phone yesterday. Placed an order for the Gentex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top