Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2022 8:52:01 AM EDT
I'm about to SBR a couple lowers for projects and I'd like to have repro Colt markings on my 607 clone.

I remember there were some guys that had issues a few years back. I see the eForm 1 says to take a picture of the markings. I wasn't planning on having my 80% receiver engraved until after I had the approved Form 1. So just submit a picture of the blank area? Will they approve a Model GX-5857?

Stupid ATF...
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand, you CANNOT add or change any markings on an SBR once it is approved.  You have to have your weapon in its final form before you SBR it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
My information may be out of date, but a couple of years ago I had a few Form 1s approved to build SBRs and didn’t have anything engraved, but there also was no requirement for a picture of any kind. Is the picture something new?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I understand, you CANNOT add or change any markings on an SBR once it is approved.  You have to have your weapon in its final form before you SBR it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A picture of the markings?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
That's crazy talk
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A picture of the markings?
View Quote

Two years ago or so. Lower was marked like a 601 or had a Colt mag well welded to a 80% . Agent wanted a picture to understand what was done as the marking are Colt but Colt wasn’t the manufacturer. IIRC the trust was marked in the trigger area.

ATF was fine with it after an explanation ie, the pictures.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Two years ago or so. Lower was marked like a 601 or had a Colt mag well welded to a 80% . Agent wanted a picture to understand what was done as the marking are Colt but Colt wasn’t the manufacturer. IIRC the trust was marked in the trigger area.

ATF was fine with it after an explanation ie, the pictures.
View Quote

OP has stated that the eforms are now requiring pictures of markings. That’s the first I’ve heard of such a claim, and I’ve used eforms several times now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OP has stated that the eforms are now requiring pictures of markings. That’s the first I’ve heard of such a claim, and I’ve used eforms several times now.
View Quote

Me too. I’m about to use them again for a couple of form 1s. A friend that works for an SOT FFL just submitted a form 1 last month and no pictures. That sounds ATF style creepy!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a spot to upload a picture and it specifically says an area of the original markings. But it doesn't say specifically it's required. :shrug:
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Just be sure they're ATF agents, it doesn't mean they know guns - let alone 80%/welds or the retro hobby.

Wasn't there an issue with having a faux auto sear pin "engraving" ... not even being a drilled hole?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]
pictures?

I never sent the ATF any photos of anything for my forms...

And this being the case, how would they know if you changed any markings?

Weird thread is weird.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
pictures?

Weird thread is weird.
View Quote

It really depends on the person working on your form. I had to submit pictures of some mg on form 4s. You just never know.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
pictures?

Weird thread is weird.
View Quote

Pictures are not new. I had to get the seller to take a picture of my full auto Thompson next to a ruler because there was some weird length listed on the very old Form 4. My barrel length is still not listed correctly, but the overall length is good.. Like was said... we're dealing with the ATF here...
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to never do pictures, and then had a request for photos of markings a couple years back.  Now I typically add pictures of factory markings as a matter of course.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can add whatever you want, but you can't remove or alter markings that are germane to it's status.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It really depends on the person working on your form. I had to submit pictures of some mg on form 4s. You just never know.
View Quote

There was a case where some unscrupulous individuals were "washing" machineguns via multiple F4 transfers some years back; they'd alter the markings a little bit every time and end up with a "new" machinegun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wasn't there an issue with having a faux auto sear pin "engraving" ... not even being a drilled hole?
View Quote

Yes. A few years back there were a couple lowers seized due to the faux sear pin being engraved the ATF claimed it was “iNtEnT”
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Funny this came up because I was just thinking about doing the faux auta sear pin to my 602 still undecided if it's worth it or not.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]
You might be asked to upload pics on a finished 80% as there's no manufacturer listed in their system.  If you select a pre-loaded manufacturer, usually no pics are required on an F1.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

For a Title I firearm, you can remove, modify, remark everything except the serial number. You can turn a Colt into an FN if you like, just don’t touch the original serial number.

Under Tile II (NFA), it’s far stricter. You cannot alter or obliterate almost any markings. Serial number, but also manufacturer, model, importer markings, etc.  Adding markings of any kind is totally legal assuming you are not simultaneously altering/obliterating/obfuscating existing markings by doing so.

If ATF would accept a blank receiver with the minimum info engraved (your name, location, serial number, caliber), then you still could legally add a repro/retro Colt logo on the magwell. However you’d be creating a lot of confusion downstream and since the assumption would be Colt is the original manufacturer, though it would not reflect this on your Form 1.

Always better to have the gun marked as intended before you Form 1 it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#21]
They want to see the SN, caliber and MFR marks (trust marks, your marks or marks in the trigger well)

They don’t care about all the other stuff. They want it make sure the thing has the mfr marks on it and the SN and caliber. I think there are a TON of incorrectly registered SBRs. Take the Saiga for example or some of the AKs that have a bunch of weird bs engraved on the side.

Does that make sense? You can add whatever just can’t remove anything after it’s NFA.

I think they are simply trying to reduce errors, not sniff out clone guns. Yes you are making things difficult for whoever inherits the gun, just give them my name as a SOT to help iron them out your estate.

Lol.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm about to SBR a couple lowers for projects and I'd like to have repro Colt markings on my 607 clone.

I remember there were some guys that had issues a few years back. I see the eForm 1 says to take a picture of the markings. I wasn't planning on having my 80% receiver engraved until after I had the approved Form 1. So just submit a picture of the blank area? Will they approve a Model GX-5857?

Stupid ATF...
View Quote

I never heard that…
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They want to see the SN, caliber and MFR marks (trust marks, your marks or marks in the trigger well)
View Quote

Nothing to see since 80% receivers do not have that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think photos are always required, but photos are sometimes helpful.

I once eform'ed an odd named billet lower a few years ago that ATF had never heard of.
They emailed me the next day, and asked if I could send pictures of the markings, just to see what it looked like.
Got my stamp a few weeks later.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nothing to see since 80% receivers do not have that.
View Quote

If you make a 100% receiver from a 80% you are the manufacturer. You engrave your info on the lower, and photograph that to send in with the form 1.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Technically you're the maker but yes, do this...
Quoted:
You engrave your info on the lower, and photograph that to send in with the form 1.
View Quote

ATF does not typically require a photo, but it never hurts to include one.

If they cannot determine what you're trying to register, they will ask for a photo (as noted above).
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you make a 100% receiver from a 80% you are the manufacturer. You engrave your info on the lower, and photograph that to send in with the form 1.

View Quote

The OP said "I wasn't planning on having my 80% receiver engraved until after I had the approved Form 1."

Thus there is nothing marked when he submits the F1.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Recently had a form 1 approved for an SBR, no photo requirements.. not even feet pics
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I've always wondered.... if you add markings and the SAME serial number to another location on the receiver,  then obliterate the original...... is that bad?

I.e. the serial's on the left side of the magwell and you stamp it on the right, then fill in the original....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top