BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a note... but when you are given the opportunity to fill out the privacy release, make sure to note that your problem is with the FBI (assuming you are being told they are waiting on the fbi background check), not the atf, which has apparently, actually done all it can.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a SS Form 1 SBR pending since 4/19/18 (check cashed).

Am I screwed?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GTBJW:

Am I screwed?
View Quote
When you call the atf (304-616-4500) do they tell you that you are pending fbi background check?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GTBJW:

Am I screwed?
View Quote
Same boat as a buddy of mine here in ga. He sent Doug Collins office a email and they are slowly working with him to correct it. No idea if it will work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By kingpenm3:

When you call the atf (304-616-4500) do they tell you that you are pending fbi background check?
View Quote
Yes. I haven't called in about 6 weeks, but that was the status last time I called.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

Same boat as a buddy of mine here in ga. He sent Doug Collins office a email and they are slowly working with him to correct it. No idea if it will work.
View Quote
My state representative is Sanford Bishop. I somehow feel that he won't be helpful in the least.

Anyone have have any luck with him?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Well no tax stamps now!

Gov shutdown will only delay this further...
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Really? Shutdown affects NFA branch?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Copied and paste:

Nine federal departments will be shuttered as the government shuts down this weekend. They are:

-Department of the Treasury
-Department of Agriculture
-Homeland Security Department
-Department of the Interior
-Department of State
-Department of Housing and Urban Development
-Department of Transportation
-Department of Commerce
-Department of Justice
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
Copied and paste:

Nine federal departments will be shuttered as the government shuts down this weekend. They are:

-Department of State
-Department of Commerce
-Department of Justice
View Quote
Yes, but not all of the sub-departments are closed. For example, FBI is part of Department of Justice but it isn't closed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

Yes, but not all of the sub-departments are closed. For example, FBI is part of Department of Justice but it isn't closed.
View Quote
Not like we can get any work outta them anyway...
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sprocket99:

Not like we can get any work outta them anyway... https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_banghead.gif
View Quote
No shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Copied and paste:

-Department of State
-Department of Commerce
-Department of Justice
View Quote
Source? Seems like some of these wouldn't be "non-essential" which are what the shutdown is supposed to be effecting. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty on this list that I consider non-essential but Dept. of State and DOJ seem somewhat essential.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RLunyATL:
Source? Seems like some of these wouldn't be "non-essential" which are what the shutdown is supposed to be effecting. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty on this list that I consider non-essential but Dept. of State and DOJ seem somewhat essential.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Copied and paste:

-Department of State
-Department of Commerce
-Department of Justice
Iirc the criminal aspect of DOJ is staying open, but the civil portion is considered non-essential.

Obviously any law enforcement component will be open. Don’t know about NFA branch, but with Christmas coming up, I wasn’t expecting much work from anyone .gov until after the new year.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Got word from my dealer that nfa is not processing forms during the shutdown, more waiting for all, Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#17]
The question in my mind... is the FBI still processing background checks during the shutdown? I would assume they are still processing Title I NICS checks, I just don't know that they are doing the same for Title II.

My eForm is pending background (which would seem to indicate that the BGC nonsense follows you from paper to eForm). Either way, it'd be nice if the FBI were busy processing away, being efficient and getting caught up on their backlog. Haha... yeah, probably not. Still, I wouldn't mind so much if there were a chance my BGC would be sitting there ready for approval once the NFA Branch is back up and running.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By krdt:
The question in my mind... is the FBI still processing background checks during the shutdown? I would assume they are still processing Title I NICS checks, I just don't know that they are doing the same for Title II.

My eForm is pending background (which would seem to indicate that the BGC nonsense follows you from paper to eForm). Either way, it'd be nice if the FBI were busy processing away, being efficient and getting caught up on their backlog. Haha... yeah, probably not. Still, I wouldn't mind so much if there were a chance my BGC would be sitting there ready for approval once the NFA Branch is back up and running.
View Quote
Efficient and gov do not go together in any sentence.

But yeah it would be nice if they would catch up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#19]
They are indeed still answering the line at the NFA branch

Not sure that means anything though
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I contacted Rep. Hudson (NC-8) on 12/03/18 and got an immediate acknowledgement and the paperwork required.  Filled it out and mailed it to him; the week before Christmas one of his staffers emailed me and said the BATFE hasn't responded to their inquiry yet.

I've been in FBI BGC purgatory since August 2018, check was cashed 13 February 2018.  I'm closing in on a year now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TheOx:
I contacted Rep. Hudson (NC-8) on 12/03/18 and got an immediate acknowledgement and the paperwork required.  Filled it out and mailed it to him; the week before Christmas one of his staffers emailed me and said the BATFE hasn't responded to their inquiry yet.

I've been in FBI BGC purgatory since August 2018, check was cashed 13 February 2018.  I'm closing in on a year now.
View Quote
You and I are in a very similar timeframe.

I contacted my reps office (and they have been a help) but was recently told by them that due to the shutdown they aren't getting any responses to their inquiries.

At this point, I'm just doing my best to forget about the process. My cans were bought primarily for hunting rifles so I'm hoping this mess will be cleaned up 8 or 9 months from now when the seasons open again.

Probably buy a couple of rimfire cans at some point but this experience has left a real bad taste in my mouth about building a stamp collection.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone just called and straight up asked if they're approving stuff during shutdown?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone just called and straight up asked if they're approving stuff during shutdown?
View Quote
Lol I hope you get a more friendly guy than the one I had earlier today

I went down a list of questions that I was forwarding to my congressman.

He was annoyed as fuck and basically said theres nothing out of the usual with the amount of time you have waited.

Finally did figure out they did give me an examiner. But they cant tell me when they send the paperwork to the FBI or when the examiner was assigned.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#25]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I requested the inquiry go to the FBI and the ATF.

His office indicated they were waiting on a response from each.

I have a friend in Martinsburg WV that swears the ATF does the background checks, not the FBI. That's a huge part of the frustration; not really knowing how the system works.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Sent my rep. an email today about my form 4s. The checks were cashed Dec 19 2017 so it's been over a year now. Pending FBI at least 6 months or so. Hopefully Lance Gooden will get me out of the black hole.

I have 5 more form 4s submitted since then. What are the chances that my examiner will approve them all once my background comes back for the first 2?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#28]

I have a friend in Martinsburg WV that swears the ATF does the background checks, not the FBI. That's a huge part of the frustration; not really knowing how the system works.
View Quote
Yep. The response my Rep. got from the FBI was that the ATF, not them, do the background checks.

It is so f*cked up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
I may do it tomorrow.    I've heard that the're doing 2s, 3s, and transfers to government agencies, but no 1s and 4s for us.  I have no idea if it's true.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Yep. The response my Rep. got from the FBI was that the ATF, not them, do the background checks.

It is so f*cked up.
View All Quotes

It is so f*cked up.
My personal theory is that the ATF runs NICS checks just like an FFL. If they dont get an instant pass then they get forwarded to the FBI

I'm just guessing though
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By supersampson12:
Sent my rep. an email today about my form 4s. The checks were cashed Dec 19 2017 so it's been over a year now. Pending FBI at least 6 months or so. Hopefully Lance Gooden will get me out of the black hole.

I have 5 more form 4s submitted since then. What are the chances that my examiner will approve them all once my background comes back for the first 2?
View Quote
The chances are zero if you don't ask. They approved all 4 of mine once I got the BGC squared away.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By supersampson12:

View Quote
Call

I emailed both my senator and congressman

Nothing happened

I called both around 1PM the other day. They were calling me back by the end of the day
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

My personal theory is that the ATF runs NICS checks just like an FFL. If they dont get an instant pass then they get forwarded to the FBI

I'm just guessing though
View Quote
That would be my guess too, and the ATF and FBI are just bouncing the responsibility back and forth to each other.

Everyone says its really the FBI that needs to be contacted, and I don't disagree, but IMO the entire issue is created and controlled by the ATF.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jhereg:
I may do it tomorrow.    I've heard that the're doing 2s, 3s, and transfers to government agencies, but no 1s and 4s for us.  I have no idea if it's true.
View All Quotes
I just called in to check the status on a F4.   Still pending.    I asked Melissa who answered the phone if they were processing Form 1s and 4s during the shutdown and she said "Not at this time."
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I just called in to check the status on a F4.   Still pending.    I asked Melissa who answered the phone if they were processing Form 1s and 4s during the shutdown and she said "Not at this time."
View Quote
I wish I had chosen a hobby that didnt have so much red tape
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By chase45:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chase45:
I suspected they weren't processing them, but that means if this goes on a long time it's going to really bottleneck NFA stuff.   Kind of a raw deal though when we pay $200 for the stamp and they don't continue operations during the shutdown.  Take the money out of the stamp fees.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone have a template I can use to send to my local rep about a suppressor pending FBI background check?

Not sure what exactly to say
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By NotanATFagent:
Does anyone have a template I can use to send to my local rep about a suppressor pending FBI background check?

View Quote
PM sent
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#39]
PM sent
View All Quotes

PM sent
Would like as well.  THX
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:30:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnit53] [#40]
dupe
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#41]
This entire system is antiquated and needs a serious rework.

Any one of these agencies can type our ssn in their computer and see exactly who we are to include a picture and fingerprints.

It's not rocket science.

And why does it take more time to approve a muffler than a passport.
One can get a passport inside of 2 days, same day if you go to the right office.

Staggers the imagination!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: red6actual] [#42]
Still pending after 1 calender year today, unacceptable
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#43]
My check was cashed 12-21-17.... still waiting.  I just wrote my representative.... not sure it will help
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#44]
May I also get a copy of the language to use?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I would like to get a copy of the letter to send to my congressman.
Thanks
To whom ever can send it.
Or just post it here for all of us to copy and paste it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RMiller:
Still pending after 1 calender year today, unacceptable
View Quote
382 Days and counting for me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
Originally Posted By Burnit53:
Would like as well.  THX
View Quote
Originally Posted By martinmayhem:
May I also get a copy of the language to use?  Thanks!
View Quote
Originally Posted By Rockyriver:
I would like to get a copy of the letter to send to my congressman.  
Thanks
To whom ever can send it.  
Or just post it here for all of us to copy and paste it.
View Quote
4 requests (and counting) for boilerplate examples, just on page 20. Perhaps this would be worthy of a tacked thread? There's certainly interest in the topic.

@BigWaylon
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Sprocket99:

4 requests (and counting) for boilerplate examples, just on page 20. Perhaps this would be worthy of a tacked thread? There's certainly interest in the topic.

@BigWaylon
View Quote
If OP would change the thread title, I think tacking it would be beneficial. It looks like OP has ghosted, are mods able to change thread titles? I also don't have a "boilerplate template", I've just been sending folks the email thread between my congressman's office and myself. For that reason I've not simply pasted here in the thread.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

I can change it to whatever I want. What are y'all thinking it needs to be called? I don't plan on making it a sticky, but I have set it to not archive (I don't think that'll be an issue since it stays pretty active).

I can change the title and make it bold. That would probably be better since most people seem to ignore get stickies. And if somebody has an example of what they've been sending, I could add it to the first post as well.
View Quote
Idk as long as the thread title includes "pending FBI background check status" I think it would be beneficial.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top