Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2017 1:31:00 PM EDT
Interesting that Paul Ryan's statement yesterday about wanting to make bumpstocks illegal and the next sentence was machine guns has been "illegal" since 1985. His statement doesn't give me any hope that all machine guns are safe in future legislation.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Currently, possession or transfer of machineguns is illegal, except for government entities and registered dealers, manufacturers and importers, other than those grandfathered in by virtue of being registered prior to 1986. They were made illegal except for the grandfathering in 1986. The 1934 NFA just required them to be registered, if not owned by the federal government, and taxed, if not owned by a state or local government entity.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
So Congress can make the grandfathering in 1985 illegal by just having enough votes?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So Congress can make the grandfathering in 1985 illegal by just having enough votes?
View Quote
Yes. They can make anything 'Illegal'.

Of course, they need the President to sign it or override him.

The courts could subsequently disagree.

But they could enable/direct men with guns to enforce their will.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
lol, yes Virginia...

however, there are a bazillion other things they could do without having to worry about court rulings going against them...   and just making having one impractical.   I think the Swiss for example can own them but not shoot them...
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Well if there's any truth to the NFA owners who own MG for investment and were fighting to keep 922o. You can sure as hell bet they will fight to keep their registered investment.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Currently, possession or transfer of machineguns is illegal, except for government entities and registered dealers, manufacturers and importers, other than those grandfathered in by virtue of being registered prior to 1986. They were made illegal except for the grandfathering in 1986. The 1934 NFA just required them to be registered, if not owned by the federal government, and taxed, if not owned by a state or local government entity.
View Quote
You are wrong.    Or you at best poorly phrased your reply.

Those firearms registered and possessed prior to 1986 ARE legal to own and to transfer.    What the '87 bill did was to make NEWLY mfgd. guns non transferable to individuals.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Snowball’s chance in hell...
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Those firearms registered and possessed prior to 1986 ARE legal to own and to transfer.    What the '87 bill did was to make NEWLY mfgd. guns non transferable to individuals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I posted. Your reading lacks comprehension. Go read the text of 18 USC 922 (o).
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
And why shouldn't they? I mean if bump fire stocks are so bad and as Chris Cox said last night on Tucker Carlson "not too many people own these stocks" well hell not to many people own machine guns but there are  more machine guns in the hands of people then there are bump stocks in the hands of people,so if the bullet hose that is the slide fire stock is so dangerous then why not machine guns? hell let's ban 'em all, AMIRITE?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is a pretty simple law. Transfer or possession of a machine gun is illegal, it then carves out 2 exceptions:

(o)
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.
(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to—
(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.

BATF broke the law by allowing FFLs to have post-MGs, nowhere in the law is that allowed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well if there's any truth to the NFA owners who own MG for investment and were fighting to keep 922o. You can sure as hell bet they will fight to keep their registered investment.
View Quote
Look....the Hughes amendment is never.....repeat, never going to go away....with that said.....

If you think that the small group of people owning transferrable MG's have enough political clout to influence legislation, then why have all the attempts they have made for overturn of 922(0), Veterans Amnesties, etc over the past 31 years fail???? Do a little research into the efforts that were made by the people/organizations you accuse before spouting off with that same "investment" nonsense.....

In 30 years of owning NFA firearms, I know of exactly 1 person....1....who goes on about his "investments".....and he popped up on internet boards about 3 years ago.....

I'd say the biggest fear is a Canadian-style freeze on transfers......then it's no new MG's, and now you can't even buy the "overpriced" MG's that are already out there.

It would require new legislation however....
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.
(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to—
(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.[/i]

BATF broke the law by allowing FFLs to have post-MGs, nowhere in the law is that allowed.
View Quote
It has been posited that FFLs with SOT are considered to be "under the authority of the United States".

ETA for clarity in the quote.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, they can ban whatever they can get passed. I personally think all gun laws are unconstitutional, but anymore nobody seems to care about the constitution when it comes to terror acts. People want the government to keep them safe. They don't realize that there can be no guarantee of safety. People need to keep themselves as safe as they can. I'm not saying give up living a real life and live under a rock, just understand that large groups of people make easy targets to the wac jobs out there. People should quit judging the tools used by crazy people and look at the crazy people.

If you remove one tool from a determined person they will find another one to do the job.

You don't need a hammer to pound in a nail! If you want to keep someone from pounding in a nail by banning hammers, you are an idiot.

Killing is no different. Ban guns and crazy people will use ieds and knives. You can go to Walmart and make something capable of killing many people at one time without even raising any alarms by buying inconspicuous household items.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]
ITT: People argue with Circuits and Renegade.

Congress can do whatever the hell they want to. They can pass the 28th Amendment tomorrow, repealing the 2nd Amendment. Nothing is ever set in stone. Yes, the transferability of machine guns could be changed in the future. In fact, given enough time, you can be guaranteed it will change. Also, given enough time, the United States will no longer exist. The Roman Empire fell, the Mongolian Empire fell, etc. One day the government will piss off enough people that the American Revolution: Redux happens. Long story short: if you want to buy a machine gun, buy a machine gun. Life is too short to worry about shit changing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Congress can do whatever the hell they want to. They can pass the 28th Amendment tomorrow, repealing the 2nd Amendment. Nothing is ever set in stone. Yes, the transferability of machine guns could be changed in the future. In fact, given enough time, you can be guaranteed it will change. Also, given enough time, the United States will no longer exist. The Roman Empire fell, the Mongolian Empire fell, etc. One day the government will piss off enough people that the American Revolution: Redux happens. Long story short: if you want to buy a machine gun, buy a machine gun. Life is too short to worry about shit changing.
View Quote
Not sure it works like that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And considering how much pre '86 NFA full autos now cost... presumably the ownership demographic of them gets wealthier and wealthier over time, and those people are much more likely to have the ear or social connections to Congresscritters than the "regular guy" who can swing the $200 NFA tax, and a $1000 AR that was full auto if Hughes was repealed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And considering how much pre '86 NFA full autos now cost... presumably the ownership demographic of them gets wealthier and wealthier over time, and those people are much more likely to have the ear or social connections to Congresscritters than the "regular guy" who can swing the $200 NFA tax, and a $1000 AR that was full auto if Hughes was repealed.
Most people who own MGs fall into two categories.
1) They bought them decades ago back before prices went up or even before the 1986 ban went into effect.
2) They are able to afford MG at todays insane prices because they are already independently wealthy and it gives them somewhere to spend their money. Im new to the hobby, Im by no means rich but am solid middle class and am all about working hard, avoiding debt and invest for my future. I figure some people buy corvettes, sailboats, fine arts, etc... I buy transferable MGS.

Blaming owners of transferable MGs for the reason why they are so expensive and why they cant get congress to make them legal is a load of horse s**t.

1) they are expensive because of supply and demand
2) congress wont repeal Hughes or the NFA because 90% of America would throw a fit if they flipped on CNN and saw that evil death ray baby killing MGs were now legal. They already think AR15s are MGs, can you image what people would do if actual real MGs were legalized?

As a owner of multiple transferable I wouldn't shed one tear if Hughes was repealed. Would it suck financially? sure, but its such a small portion of my net worth it wouldnt matter.  Besides, I would be too busy converting all of my firearms to full auto and on the phone hunting down bucket list guns that i wouildnt have time to be upset about it. The idea that there is hundreds or thousands of ultra wealth investors that have a large portion of their net worth tied up in MGs and have direct political connections to Washington allowing them to pay of congress to keep their MG collection valuable is stupid. The NFA community is tiny and the MG community is a tiny fraction of the NFA community.  Just about every MG owner ive met can afford to loose the value of their MG because they either paid next to nothing for it 30 years ago or make a upper middle class or better salary which allows them to toss around large sums of money.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 2nd being one of the original Bill of Rights would require a lot more than Congress to repeal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 2nd being one of the original Bill of Rights would require a lot more than Congress to repeal.
View Quote
Really!?!?

My post wasn't a crash course in junior high government.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Really!?!?

My post wasn't a crash course in junior high government.
View Quote
Awe, I love smart assed people!

God bless TX
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes it does.

See also 18th and 21st amendment.

an amendment is constitutional whether you want it to be or not.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can argue the 14th amendment invalidated the 10th amendment.

there is no order of precedence for the constitution.

the bill of rights is not inherently more constitutional than follow on amendments.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Article V of the Constitution explains how to amend the Constitution

And if amendments were numbered in the order they were proposed, 1&2 would be 2&3 and 27 would be 1.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Somewhat off topic but what was the average price for say an m16 a1 or mp5 back before 1986?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Heller v DC majority opinion already explicitly states you can ban full auto.  So SCOTUS has ruled.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#26]
factory Colts M16 went for $400, about same as semi.

Somewill be along to post Shotgun News ads
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Heller v DC majority opinion already explicitly states you can ban full auto.  So SCOTUS has ruled.
View Quote
That was dicta and is irrelevant. Kinda like fire in a crowded theater was irrelevant.

Only the issue actually before court is binding.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
factory Colts M16 went for $400, about same as semi.

Somewill be along to post Shotgun News ads
View Quote
Are you kidding me? Assuming they were never banned we could assume they'd be around $1,000 I guess.

I would have guessed they were more like 5k back then. Damn, that sucks. Wish I was alive back then to purchase one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That was dicta and is irrelevant. Kinda like fire in a crowded theater was irrelevant.

View Quote
Regardless, what is constitutional is up to the whims of 5 judges.  And they have already ruled.  You know how it would go.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Regardless, what is constitutional is up to the whims of 5 judges.  And they have already ruled.  You know how it would go.
View Quote
Alito has already ruled to strike down the MG ban when he was appeals judge. Thomas would likely join. Gordy has is unknown. The rest would be no.

So 2-7.

Sadly I do not the not think we could get 5 to protect semis.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe not.  As I understand it, a lot of the dicta (including/especially that) was put in there to get Kennedy onboard.  If he retires things may change.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it does.
Congress cannot simply "pass an amendment". It takes a 2/3 vote in both the senate and house, and doesn't become part of the constitution until ratified by 3/4 of the states (currently 38 would be required). Yes, once it's part of the constitution, it's inherently constitutional.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Congress cannot simply "pass an amendment". It takes a 2/3 vote in both the senate and house, and doesn't become part of the constitution until ratified by 3/4 of the states (currently 38 would be required). Yes, once it's part of the constitution, it's inherently constitutional.
View Quote
I was addressing his implication that amendments 1-10 cannot be changed by follow on amendments.  not whether or not congress can do it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#34]
For the guy asking about prices, I paid a little over $600 for my first M16, the last one I purchased I paid a bit over $9,000 for, I could sell any of them in the $20's to $30's now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was addressing his implication that amendments 1-10 cannot be changed by follow on amendments.  not whether or not congress can do it.
View Quote
I didn't imply they couldn't be changed, but as the first 10, there is going to be a lot more discussion, than there would be on rest of the amendments to the Constitution and there always has been.  There are provisions to change all of them, is there will to change them, time will tell.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
My post was to how the process works.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I didn't imply they couldn't be changed, but as the first 10, there is going to be a lot more discussion, than there would be on rest of the amendments to the Constitution and there always has been.  There are provisions to change all of them, is there will to change them, time will tell.
View Quote
objection, conjecture.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
FWIW - After May of 1986 ALL, as in Every Single machine gun in the USA was made illegal under Federal Law.

Minus the detail of 'Affirmative Defense'.

"Machine guns are also treated differently. In 1986, as part of the Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Congress prohibited individuals from owning machine guns, and made it an affirmative defense that the machine gun was registered before the act took effect (which was 5/19/86). See 18 U.S.C. sec. 922(o) for the law. Thus as an individual you can only legally own a machine gun that was registered before that date. Any registered after that date can only be owned by SOT's, law enforcement, and government entities. A SOT may not keep these machine guns after surrendering his SOT. In order to transfer one of these machine guns, the SOT must have a request from an agency able to own one for a demonstration. Or an order from one of those agencies to buy one. A class 2 SOT can make machine guns for research and development purposes, or for sale to dealers as samples, or for sale to government entities. These are commonly called post-86 machine guns. "
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

objection, conjecture.
View Quote
I can see you have never been in front of Congress before have you?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I can see you have never been in front of Congress before have you?
View Quote
can't say that I have.

but I would say the evisceration of the 4th amendment didn't have a lot of debate with the NSA monitoring and recording all emails.

So.................point in my favor?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

can't say that I have.

but I would say the evisceration of the 4th amendment didn't have a lot of debate with the NSA monitoring and recording all emails.

So.................point in my favor?
View Quote
No, there is no point to go in either of our favor, there is however a lot more at stake when this topic comes up for conversation and so many don't understand the topic.

The last time I reminded a Congressman, he was out of order and he didn't understand or know what the Constitution stated, I was found in Contempt and they tried to strip my rank, which fortunately, I had some really good friends in good places that saved my ass!

The longest 6 years of my life was serving in the Pentagon, I am so glad I can tell them to fuck off these days without any ramifications.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Alito has already ruled to strike down the MG ban when he was appeals judge. Thomas would likely join. Gordy has is unknown. The rest would be no.

So 2-7.

Sadly I do not the not think we could get 5 to protect semis.
View Quote
Alito's dissent was on a jurisdictional issue, because Congress neglected to make findings that allowed it to exercise its authority over interstate commerce.  If it had, Alito would have upheld the ban:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=5836794757734912440&q=us+v.+rybar+103+f3d+273&hl=en&as_sdt=6,43&as_vis=1

Here is part of his dissent:

This [922(o)] would not preclude adequate regulation of the private possession of machine guns. Needless to say, the Commerce Clause does not prevent the states from regulating machine gun possession, as all of the jurisdictions within our circuit have done. See Del.Code Ann. tit. 11, § 1444 (1995); N.J.Stat.Ann. § 2C:39-5a (West 1995); 18 Pa.Cons.Stat.Ann. § 908 (1996); V.I.Code Ann. tit. 14, § 2253 (1994). Moreover, the statute challenged here would satisfy the demands of the Commerce Clause if Congress simply added a jurisdictional element — a common feature of federal laws in this field and one that has not posed any noticeable problems for federal law enforcement. In addition, as I explain below, 18 U.S.C. § 922(o) might be sustainable in its current form if Congress made findings that the purely intrastate possession of machine guns has a substantial effect on interstate commerce or if Congress or the Executive assembled empirical evidence documenting such a link.

Alito did not address any Second Amendment issues.  At the present time, I'd bet Thomas would be the only vote for the Supreme Court to even hear a machine gun ban.  Whether 5 would vote to protect semi-autos is an open question.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Why do we continue to allow threads like this?

"Can the legislative body that passed NFA '34, GCA 68, the AWB '94, and every other federal gun law create a new gun law?!?!?!?"

Fucking yes, you dolt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#44]
fuck the political class
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Somewhat off topic but what was the average price for say an m16 a1 or mp5 back before 1986?
View Quote
Good old days

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top