BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2017 11:12:30 AM EDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9b8cYjLLJw

Fan-fucking-tastic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#1]
How do you know they're illegal? Guy could be a manufacturer SOT, or have a stamp for every one he showed himself making.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Because he's in the comment section on the video arguing that these aren't SBRs, and generally demonstrating no knowledge of NFA regs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
TYFYS
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Comments section is

Or the guy is an ATF agent / troll / CI.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Comments section is
View Quote
Agree. He said he measured the barrel with a tape measure, and didn't understand the dowel to bolt face method. He also said he's going to contact the ATF himself for clarification, that should make it easy on them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
How to: Remove PS90 Barrel Shroud in 2 minutes without stripping threads!

here it is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, doesnt seem like he knows pinning is required for the OAL just as with the 16" barrel length. Not that i've ever seen a ATF agent checking permanent attachment meathods at the range, it would be wise of him to just drill a hole on one side and pin it like the factory shroud was.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]
As Far as all of us who bought the HTA shrouds are aware, the ATF said they're Kosher. But I'm sure some JA will write the ATF asking for an opinion on them. Yes the barrel length of the PS90 is 16", but the OAL is under 26" if the barrel were just 16". The OEM shroud could be pinned the way it is, because the added flash hider is pinned in it to meet the OAL. With the HTA shroud attached, you are over 26". The gun is not designed and won't work without a shroud in place.. Even a second place sells the shroud now.. Seeing how the ATF claims a stockless 10/22 ruger is a SBR, they might already be looking :O

https://www.imperialarmsco.com/product-p/fbs01.htm
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The gun is not designed and won't work without a shroud in place..
View Quote
True that it's not designed to, nor will it work properly... but it will fire a single round... which is a technicality when it comes to the legal issues.

Buffman, the barrel without the shroud measures 16" to the bolt face? Some were saying it was 14.8" or something. I don't have a non sbr barrel to measure anymore.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As Far as all of us who bought the HTA shrouds are aware, the ATF said they're Kosher. But I'm sure some JA will write the ATF asking for an opinion on them. Yes the barrel length of the PS90 is 16", but the OAL is under 26" if the barrel were just 16". The OEM shroud could be pinned the way it is, because the added flash hider is pinned in it to meet the OAL. With the HTA shroud attached, you are over 26". The gun is not designed and won't work without a shroud in place.. Even a second place sells the shroud now.. Seeing how the ATF claims a stockless 10/22 ruger is a SBR, they might already be looking :O

https://www.imperialarmsco.com/product-p/fbs01.htm
View Quote
Not ATF.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

True that it's not designed to, nor will it work properly... but it will fire a single round... which is a technicality when it comes to the legal issues.

Buffman, the barrel without the shroud measures 16" to the bolt face? Some were saying it was 14.8" or something. I don't have a non sbr barrel to measure anymore.
View Quote
Without the shroud, the barrel is absolutely NOT 16" and the OAL is NOT 26". It's true that the rifle needs a shroud to cycle, but it could fire once without the shroud. And as shown in the video, once the threaded shroud is installed, it can be removed again by hand at any time, and could be replaced with a a shroud that is shorter.

The replacement shroud is the same length as the factory one. I think it's obvious that FN is pinning the factory shroud because they know it would be an SBR otherwise. Without that, there's no reason they would take the manufacturing step of pinning the factory shroud. The design of the receiver prevents the shroud from loosening, so pinning has no other rationale than NFA compliance.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Without the shroud, the barrel is absolutely NOT 16" and the OAL is NOT 26". It's true that the rifle needs a shroud to cycle, but it could fire once without the shroud. And as shown in the video, once the threaded shroud is installed, it can be removed again by hand at any time, and could be replaced with a a shroud that is shorter.

The replacement shroud is the same length as the factory one. I think it's obvious that FN is pinning the factory shroud because they know it would be an SBR otherwise. Without that, there's no reason they would take the manufacturing step of pinning the factory shroud. The design of the receiver prevents the shroud from loosening, so pinning has no other rationale than NFA compliance.
View Quote
Would you like to place a wager on how long the barrel is? It's OVER 16". Whoever said it's 14.8" is FULL OF POO. If they measure from the breach face with the rod down the tube, it would even be over the tape measure length, I just went downstairs and measured.. 

You can't remove the shroud once installed without tools. You need a a 15mm wrench..
So begs the question which I can't find on the net. Has the ATF ever said what does and doesn't count in the OAL requirement of a rifle. As above the 16" barrel requirement is met. I recall the M1A bullpups installing a 2" buttpad to meet the OAL requirement. HTA shroud is longer than factory (only 1/16"). FN perhaps pinned it to keep the honest people honest? I'll see if HTA has a response..
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Would you like to place a wager on how long the barrel is? It's OVER 16". Whoever said it's 14.8" is FULL OF POO. If they measure from the breach face with the rod down the tube, it would even be over the tape measure length, I just went downstairs and measured.. 
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4392/36698762334_b4c52f5bd8_z.jpg

You can't remove the shroud once installed without tools. You need a a 15mm wrench..
So begs the question which I can't find on the net. Has the ATF ever said what does and doesn't count in the OAL requirement of a rifle. As above the 16" barrel requirement is met. I recall the M1A bullpups installing a 2" buttpad to meet the OAL requirement. HTA shroud is longer than factory (only 1/16"). FN perhaps pinned it to keep the honest people honest? I'll see if HTA has a response..
View Quote
Problem solved.

The only issue being OAL, there really isn't a question then. Removable and adjustable length stocks are measured as part of OAL installed and extended to their furthest length. Would only be logical that the same would be said for devices on the other end.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#15]
$250 seems a little steep just to be able to put my suppressor on it, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
$250 seems a little steep just to be able to put my suppressor on it, I'll pass.
View Quote
They're about $175 if you look elsewhere. IMO I tried it, and if you wanted to stick the 16" yeah, it's the only show, but PS90 SBR wAy better :D
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#17]
undocumented. not illegal
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]
What a patriot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top