Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2017 5:38:17 PM EDT
I'm sending out my Form 1 for SBR tomorrow. On my trust, the lower receiver being used for the SBR build is the only NFA item. I also have pistols and other rifles on the trust that are not NFA items. Does this affect the process in any way? Did you all list multiple firearms on your trust and send it with a form 1 for a single NFA item? This is my first NFA item obviously.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not.

Two methods. One can send them a copy of the trust, that has since been unchanged in the language, that has an original listing of property that only designates something such as "One Dollar US Currency"

Second, and my preferred, you have a new trust for each item. You can create a new trust simply by copying the existing trust and renaming the new one (or even using the same name!!!).... in some states you need to have it notarized, but if you create it under the laws of Virginia, even if you have never stepped foot there, you can do it just by signing it. Does not need to even be notarized. So why not have a trust for each item?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I use my NFA trust for NFA items only.

Are you transferring your Title I firearms into your trust for any specific reason, such as a unique estate planning issue?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is that you can amend the trust to add regular firearms without notice to the ATF. Just have to give all the primary and beneficiary trustee's a copy of the new inventory and you're good.

If you then want to add another NFA item, you'll have to either amend the amended list, and remove them if you are worried about the BATFE knowing your stock, or give them the newest list with your application for the new item.

Basically, you can add or remove non NFA items at will, as long as the people in the trust get a new copy. How I understood it from my attorney, anyway.

This sounds attractive to me, because ultimately having the firearms portion of my estate handled by someone other than the executors of the rest of my assets works for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok guys this clears things up for me. I initially listed all my firearms because I did want them to be a part of my documented estate. However, I will just be sending the trust with just the NFA item listed because I would rather not show them a list of all the firearms I own. I will update it for my own and my beneficiaries records with my other items and when it comes to future NFA items I will go the individual/new trust route. Thanks for the clarity!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top