Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2017 1:35:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Our county?  

Surely the suppressor was found to be illegal subsequent to some other arrest.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Weren't there approved eforms that the end user never actually got a stamp?

Why buy a stamp and photochop something up like that using a stamp from another form when you can just photochop up the whole thing?

ETA: Don't do any of this, just pointing out I don't get why an actual stamp would have been used.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA: Don't do any of this, just pointing out I don't get why an actual stamp would have been used.
View Quote
People are stupid or lazy or both.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I my last F1's looked like this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#6]
And there you have it, would be NFA criminals.

Just use the eforms stamp method from the picture posted above. Don't use a physical stamp with numbers written on it that don't apply to your fake NFA number.

Again, don't do any of this - don't be dumb. BUT if you do, don't be double dumb. Or we will mock you for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
my question is about the can and how it was determined to be homemade.  I want to know it if was one of the kits that used to be available or what.  My interactions with local Leo is that most don't question because they know the process to get a can.  And even then, never had one ask to see my approved stamps.
View Quote
I've never been asked for papers before either.

Two possibilities.... a power tripping LEO, or a perp that is known to be a troublemaker / already engaged in other behaviors requiring LEO intervention, etc.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Happened down near Pelion.
View Quote
Oh my shocked face...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Undocumented tax stamp.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Must have been a felon or something and a stupid felon at that.

who the hell risks prison time for $200
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
The "What part of shall not be infringed don't you understand" crowd

It's amazing what those people will tell strangers they own at gun shops.

/ETA my old FFL and friend used to have a side gig as a "firearms expert" and he would get hired by attorneys to provide expert testimony during trials.

He would tell me most of the yahoos sold themselves out directly to the ATF by bragging to strangers about how they had this or that at gun shows or FLLS. ATF agents like to hang around those places and strike up conversations with people for this reason.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#15]
How dumb are people. As if the guy building an illegal suppressor isn't dumb enough, but then to try and pass it off as legal.  The guy definitely has more balls than brains.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

/ETA my old FFL and friend used to have a side gig as a "firearms expert" and he would get hired by attorneys to provide expert testimony during trials.

He would tell me most of the yahoos sold themselves out directly to the ATF by bragging to strangers about how they had this or that at gun shows or FLLS. ATF agents like to hang around those places and strike up conversations with people for this reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a what part of shall not be infringed dont you understand type guy

But you can still work against gun grabbers and communists and stay out of the legal system for $200 only an idiot or a prohibited person especially with a family would risk 10 years in prison for $200
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am a what part of shall not be infringed dont you understand type guy

But you can still work against gun grabbers and communists and stay out of the legal system for $200 only an idiot or a prohibited person especially with a family would risk 10 years in prison for $200
View Quote
I phrased that incorrectly because absolutely I believe that as well! In my head I had the image of the loudmouth at the gunstore It's the Constitution is my permit, I don't need a license because it's my right and no cop would arrest me etc crowd. Somewhat recently I had an old friend I hadn't spoken to since High School hit me up on FB and start telling my about all the illegal stuff he had and wanted to know if I wanted to buy one of those things that goes onto the back of a Glock that makes it full auto. I said no and he was beside himself, it's your right, you just hide it from the police. I told him I'm not going to go to prison, not be able to raise my kids, lose my gun rights forever over that. He then offered to sell me a silencer and I unfriended him from FB.

I haven't spoken to this guy since 1992, he knew nothing about me, didn't know that I used to work in LE and he jumps on FB and in 20 min offers to sell me illegal weapons. That's the crowd I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#18]
That sounds more like an informant desperate for a hook.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Trust me that crossed my mind as well!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was the first thing I thought off.

Either that or he is dumber than a box or rocks
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I was under the impression that South Carolina didn't have a law against suppressors. Not a "fine if it's in compliance with the NFA", but no law regarding suppressors at all.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

Other NFA items are mentioned in state law, but not suppressors. Unless they are holding him for the feds I think he will walk.

ETA:

Sections 16-23-210 to 16-23-240 are the relevant sections here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Guy is obviously an idiot, I'm sure he paid close to $200 for that tax stamp, why not do it right and be legal. Prob some Tin foil hat wearing goob who was afraid the ATF would raid his home so instead broke the law and actually got raided by the ATF. Idiot. Get lost, we don't need gun Owners like that in the NFA community.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Having worked with the sheriff's department, he was probably an known bad dude who they have on other charges and are referring this to the Feds.   I don't see the SD going after someone for this on it's own.

Nevermind.. see above.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Found out a little more info today...dude is a felon, and it was an oil filter with a threaded attachment.  He tried to get away with it by saying "but I have a stamp"...smart, maybe, but dumb enough to not know he couldn't have a gun.
View Quote
Makes sense, he obviously couldn't submit a Form 1, it would have been rejected. So he fakes one as a backup in case he gets caught with it.

No matter how you look at it hes just plain stupid.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#27]
This is purely a felon in possession situation then. Felons cannot be charged with NFA violations (Hayes vs US).
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Felons cannot be charged with NFA violations (Hayes vs US).
View Quote
Are you referring to 555 U.S. 415, U.S. v. Hayes out of SCOTUS in 2009?  If so, it has nothing at all to do with NFA.  If not, please elaborate.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
A decent lawyer will plead it down to "possession of a firearm not readily identifiable as a firearm".  1 year probation and expunged record after that year.  That is if there were no other circumstances. 

A felon would plead to a firearm possession charge, most likely. 
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are you referring to 555 U.S. 415, U.S. v. Hayes out of SCOTUS in 2009?  If so, it has nothing at all to do with NFA.  If not, please elaborate.
View Quote
It's actually Haynes...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haynes_v._United_States

The issue is this, the courts there ruled that a felon cannot be required to register an NFA weapon because that is an admission to a crime, for a felon (and everyone actually, according to other courts, but that's another topic all together).

And we cannot compel anyone to incriminate themselves. Therefore, Felons cannot be prosecuted for NFA violations. They can be prosecuted for being in possession of a firearm however.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Wonder if you catch more hell with a forged stamp than with a threaded oil filter. That was really a poor decision.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Since no one has said it, fuck NFA.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Since no one has said it, fuck NFA.
View Quote
Oooh big man.  Do you feel better now?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wonder if you catch more hell with a forged stamp than with a threaded oil filter. That was really a poor decision.
View Quote
I was thinking that that would get him in Fed court then straight to a Federal prison.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's actually Haynes...

The issue is this, the courts there ruled that a felon cannot be required to register an NFA weapon because that is an admission to a crime, for a felon (and everyone actually, according to other courts, but that's another topic all together).

And we cannot compel anyone to incriminate themselves. Therefore, Felons cannot be prosecuted for NFA violations. They can be prosecuted for being in possession of a firearm however.
View Quote
Learn something new every day. Thanks for posting this.

V
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Seems like a whole lot of risk to save $200.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I have 3 form 1's and 1 form 4 and the only actual hard copy of a stamp I have received was the Form 4. From what I read, that's pretty normal or should I be worried (I keep the approved on my phone in addition to hard copies in my bags).
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Our county?  

Surely the suppressor was found to be illegal subsequent to some other arrest.
View Quote
suppressor not illegal

illegal possession for unpaid tax and/or prohibited person

specifics matter

know where you're coming from so you know where you're going
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure how the Feds would run with it, but I'd go for Felon in Possession AND a Forgery if I were presenting it to the DA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not sure how the Feds would run with it, but I'd go for Felon in Possession AND a Forgery if I were presenting it to the DA.
View Quote
Could add manufacturing charges in there.  Wire fraud.  Mail fraud. Tax evasion.

You could really rack those up if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's actually Haynes...

View Quote
I bet they can still be had for counterfeiting or fraud, though.

Knowingly attempting to pass a counterfeit tax stamp = fraud.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.. Years ago at a gun show there was a friendly stranger, he started asking me questions about converting a Glock 17. I told him it was very illegal and to leave me alone. In retrospect he smelled like BATFE.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's actually Haynes...

View Quote
So if you are hell bent on having illegal NFA items, you are much better off becoming a felon first? Seems to me, if you do get caught, your sentence is going to be much less than the NFA customary 10 years.

I don’t know which is messed up more, Firearm laws or the tax code.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A decent lawyer will plead it down to "possession of a firearm not readily identifiable as a firearm".  1 year probation and expunged record after that year.  That is if there were no other circumstances. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks like I nailed it. Dude is a felon, hence the fake stamp
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Seems to me, if you do get caught, your sentence is going to be much less than the NFA customary 10 years.
View Quote
10 years is the statutory max. Customary actual sentence is 2 years.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would not be surprised if they did not go after him. Was it attached to a firearm loaded with ammunition?
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Until I read this thread I had no clue you buy a stamp on ebay but there are lots of them on there cheap.

What would be the purpose of buying one like that? The stamps I saw during a quick ebay scan looked like they had been cut off a form 4 so they would be useless to the buyer wouldn't they?

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Until I read this thread I had no clue you buy a stamp on ebay but there are lots of them on there cheap.

What would be the purpose of buying one like that? The stamps I saw during a quick ebay scan looked like they had been cut off a form 4 so they would be useless to the buyer wouldn't they?

I don't get it.
View Quote
They are official government revenue stamps. This makes them collectible to philatelists (stamp collectors).
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't get it.
View Quote
Actual stamp collectors, those who dont want to file for a NFA firearm to get the stamp.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top