Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 8:40:32 PM EDT
This might be a stupid question but I was curious to know if an integrally suppressed 12 gauge barrel was possible. What would the limitations that keep this from being made?

I was thinking how amazing an integrally suppressed 14 inch 12 gauge barrel would be for home defense. I guess that would require two stamps and a lot of custom work so it's not something I could likely afford.

Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Any SBS with a suppressor would be a 2 stamp gun. Unless you used a Shockwave. I am sure there is a gunsmith out there that would at least attempt it, but it will not be cheap. Integrally suppressing a shotgun with a short barrel has the added issue of not being able to maintain a road shape. For the action on a pump to work you would need to go with a semi-circular shape and the material would need to be strong enough to hold up to 12 gauge pressures.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I mean I suppose you could start with a Super Shorty and a Salvo 12 and figure it out from there. But I think it would be largely pointless.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean I suppose you could start with a Super Shorty and a Salvo 12 and figure it out from there. But I think it would be largely pointless.
View Quote
Ok. Why pointless though? The reason for my question wasn't because I was planning on trying to get it built. I was more curious and trying to learn what the obstacles are that keep something like this from being made.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was more curious and trying to learn what the obstacles are that keep something like this from being made.
View Quote
Length, price, lack of sound reduction, durability come to mind but i'd be curious on someone else's dollar. There is a reason SiCo, DA, Rugged, or others have not done it. I am guessing that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not if it was integrally suppressed and the total length of barrel (and baffles) was at least 18"...and OAL at least 26". Just like integrally suppressed rifles, or those with a pinned can, it would only be a single stamp for the Silencer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any SBS with a suppressor would be a 2 stamp gun. Unless you used a Shockwave. I am sure there is a gunsmith out there that would at least attempt it, but it will not be cheap. Integrally suppressing a shotgun with a short barrel has the added issue of not being able to maintain a road shape. For the action on a pump to work you would need to go with a semi-circular shape and the material would need to be strong enough to hold up to 12 gauge pressures.
Not if it was integrally suppressed and the total length of barrel (and baffles) was at least 18"...and OAL at least 26". Just like integrally suppressed rifles, or those with a pinned can, it would only be a single stamp for the Silencer.
He said SBS so he is right. If it was a 18" barrel it wouldn't be a SBS.

In my opinion unless it could be 12" or shorter it might as well be a 18" integral setup so it's only one stamp.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@bjgunner may have some input. I know he has some homebuilt suppressed shotguns.

I think his 12ga was a separate can, but has a 20 & .410 integral. Here was one of them: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bjgunner/3332E4C7-D871-44B0-8DB9-728DFED17165-6462-000003BDCE049F4B_zps22b7e4b6.jpg
View Quote
I've built an integral 410 and 20ga; both work well but would still be loud indoors.  A pump would be easy to do, I would start with a 870 since the mag tube is shorter than the Mossberg so you could start the suppressor further back without modifying the shotgun.
The main part is to taper the bore of each baffle so it acts as a choke to keep the wad shut.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
SBS doesn't have to be a pump.  

DSC_1685-M2 ShellUp by FredMan, on Flickr

I could see fabbing up a cylinder to go around the barrel, cutting slots in the original barrel, and welding it all up.  You'd have to do some stock work too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top