Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2017 9:58:51 AM EDT
Hi
Originally I thought fingerprint cards were used to identify the person stated on the Form 4, and needed to be done by law enforcement as the card asks for "Official taking fingerprints"  and "employer and address"
Now UPS can take your fingerprints if they choose too, and there seems to be a consensus that you can even fingerprint yourself. The last person I sent to UPS got the fingerprint cards (2 cards for $25) and they took prints but did not fill in and additional info, no name or location of the UPS store.  
So, can I take sets here at shop when I sell NFA items and give them to customer? Can I give customer the cards (Form 258) and let them fingerprint themselves?
Mark
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I fingerprinted myself.

The local police stations are clueless. They will print you but only use their own papers - not suitable for NFA, etc. Not worth arguing with them, they getting their egos disjointed at any suggestion that they don't know everything.

So, I ordered  a stack of form, I created templates in word and scanned in my prints. I added them to the templates and now I print them at will. I sign them as the person being printed and the one that did the prints.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#2]
On scanning your own fingerprints, do you have a print scanner or did you print yourself with black ink on white paper, and scanned them in?  I have plenty of scanners and ink pads.
Have you already sent some of your copied cards and had them approved?
Very neat idea
Mark
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone properly equipped to take them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Unless you're SilencerCo throwing a bitch-fit like a bunch of dicks.

Vellnueve is correct - if you have an ink pad, you can take prints.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
The "employer and address" should be that of the person being printed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On scanning your own fingerprints, do you have a print scanner or did you print yourself with black ink on white paper, and scanned them in?  I have plenty of scanners and ink pads.
Have you already sent some of your copied cards and had them approved?
Very neat idea
Mark
View Quote
I printed myself on white paper with black ink then scanned in the prints. I just used plain white paper and only scanned in the print that was good.

I then lined them up on a template.

Yes, I have approvals back.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I had my school district, my employer, do it.  I guess they just assumed it was for a license renewal or something.  They didn't question and I didn't say.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm so glad I live where I live. My county sheriffs office is a 10 minute drive away and does them for free with no appointment necessary. They are very nice and are fun to talk with while getting my prints rolled.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#10]
can anyone provide a sample of how the ATF finger print card should be filled out?

Like just put 123 fake street, jon doe kind of thing.

Also for a trust are we supposed to put "Jon Doe, Trustee" like we do when we fill out the form 1 & 4s? or just sign our name?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#11]

1. leave blank
2. sign
3. enter your address
4. enter date printed
5. sign
6. enter “Self” and your address again
7. enter reason; some examples from those with approved cards are “NFA”, “NFA Transfer” (for F4), “NFA Application” (for F1), “Form 1”, and “Form 4”
8. enter Last Name, First Name and Middle Name
9. enter aliases or leave blank
10. enter your Citizenship (U.S. is proper format based on FBI guide)
11. leave blank
12. leave blank
13. leave blank
14. enter your SSN (optional)
15. leave blank
16. should have the NFA ORI stamped
17. leave blank
18. enter your date of birth, in MM DD YYYY format
19. enter your sex (M/F…or see info in FBI guide below)
20. enter your race (see list in FBI guide below if needed)
21. enter height in feet and inches (format info in FBI guide below)
22. enter weight in pounds
23. enter eye color (see list in FBI guide below)
24. enter hair color (see list in FBI guide below)
25. enter place of birth (state, territory, province or country)
26. leave blank
27. provide prints…roll the individual prints in rows 1-2 and press the ones in the 3rd row, as seen below
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#12]
awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
can anyone provide a sample of how the ATF finger print card should be filled out?

Like just put 123 fake street, jon doe kind of thing.

Also for a trust are we supposed to put "Jon Doe, Trustee" like we do when we fill out the form 1 & 4s? or just sign our name?
View Quote
There's a massive walk through in the stickies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep...and poster above "borrowed" my pic and instructions from the sticky.

[/url]
View Quote
Haha. Close! But not intentional. I googled "NFA Fingerprint Card Example", landed here: http://www.texasnfatrust.com/fingerprints-how-to-do-them----fd-258le.html

And what do you know I go back and look and it says 'Courtesy of BigWaylon'...

Can't win, your art is everywhere....
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:43:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I've done my own prints and had good results. I called ATF NFA and talked with an agent who was OK with me doing my own fingerprints. Got a MAC with them.

I use a SIRCHIE pad from eBay ($3.50 back a couple of years).  You don't need a card holder but it does make it a bit easier.

Practice a bit and you can do great prints.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've done my own prints and had good results. I called ATF NFA and talked with an agent who was OK with me doing my own fingerprints. Got a MAC with them.

I use a SIRCHIE pad from eBay ($3.50 back a couple of years).  You don't need a card holder but it does make it a bit easier.

View Quote
I'm preparing to submit forms for a M11/9 and Omega 9K, I have several people on my trust, such a pain to get everyone printed at a police station, glad we are able to do it ourselves, just going to bring a stack of ATF cards with me to Thanksgiving and start taking everyones prints haha
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]
You can also scan completed print cards with a scanner and edit the image, so you can reproduce finished cards from your printer without having to roll the person again. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Whoops. I put employer and address as the person who did my prints (LSP Crime Lab). Will they deny my cards for not filling that part out right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Whoops. I put employer and address as the person who did my prints (LSP Crime Lab). Will they deny my cards for not filling that part out right?
View Quote
It's correct information, they shouldn't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I've never heard of a denial for anything in that box, correct or not. I think that's a common mistake. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]
My local PD has a livescan system and it automatically saves prints for six months from the last printing. I just walk in, hand then a stack of FD cards, and they print them for me in about 15 seconds. Only reason I'm not doing this myself is because I have a shitty inkjet printer, but I just ordered a new laser printer for my office and you can be damn sure I'll be printing my own ASAP.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Not according to the instructions on the back of the fingerprint card,
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Those instructions are poorly written. The contributor is indicated by the ORI field. "Private contractor" would be the place the applicant is attempting to gain employment with.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm so glad I live where I live. My county sheriffs office is a 10 minute drive away and does them for free with no appointment necessary. They are very nice and are fun to talk with while getting my prints rolled.
View Quote
Same here.  Except they do inkless but charge $15.  Well worth it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I just got the right cards and took them to the local PD. They were totally cool. Did as many as I wanted for $10.00. The guy was laughing at me once he found out what I needed them for. He said "with this many cards you can buy silencers and SBRs for the next 10 years.".
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Those instructions are poorly written. The contributor is indicated by the ORI field. "Private contractor" would be the place the applicant is attempting to gain employment with.
View Quote
If no "Private contractor" where employment is sought, then the "employer and address" slot is left blank. Why would you enter name and address twice?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#29]
You can leave it blank. Like I posted earlier, it really doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You can leave it blank. Like I posted earlier, it really doesn't matter.
View Quote
This is correct. Left blank on mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You can also scan completed print cards with a scanner and edit the image, so you can reproduce finished cards from your printer without having to roll the person again. 
View Quote
@kitbuilder

Can you explain this to me like you would a 5 year old please?   I am technologically handicapped when it comes to stuff like this.  I have an order when I come back to the states on R&R that I need to fill out.  It will be 8 NFA items, so 16 cards.  I currently have a scanner and printer.  I have two completed fingerprint cards with me as well.  I can order more of the blank cards and have them shipped over here so that I can get it all ready.  

My questions is what are the steps to get the prints on the blank cards, and then to print them out?

I apologize if the questions is dumb, but this would be awesome if I can get this to work.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Set your scanner to scan at 500 ppi. You want to import a completed card, then crop the image to exactly 8x8". At 500 ppi, it will be 4000x4000 pixels. I recommend you save as a PNG so there will be no distortion. JPEG tends to pixilate.

Open your saved image in MS Paint, and edit out everything you don't want to print onto the blank cards, so you should just leave the fingerprints and the data for the fields.

Now printing will be the hard part. You'll have to find the correct settings (and orientation) to get your printer to output 8x8" onto the blank card(s). Look for "Actual Size" as that's usually the option needed. You may have to experiment a little. You may find that you need to go back and reposition the whole image in MS Paint a little bit. If so, "select all" (Ctrl+A) and then drag it in the correct direction.

I recommend using a laser printer (as opposed to an inkjet printer).

Once you're all set, be sure to save that file in several locations.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#33]
^^^^ thank you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can offer a couple tips to get you started, and maybe reduce the amount of practice needed. This is all based on human biology/physiology:

1. Ever notice that you can't extend your ring finger without either the middle or pinky coming with it? The reason is that you only have 3 muscles to extend 4 fingers. The ring finger shares a portion of each of the two muscles that otherwise operate those two fingers next to it. This is why it really does help to have someone else doing your prints, and why you're always being told to relax your hand and not try to help.

2. Make sure the person being printed is standing full arms length away from the card. The forearm doesn't rotate well enough. So, with the elbow straight, shoulder rotation helps to get a clean roll from one side to the other without slipping or twisting.

3. Just like "righty tighty, lefty loosey" for nuts and bolts - remember "Fingers from, Thumbs toward". Even though the shoulder has more rotation than the forearm, it still has it's limits. Rolling towards the end of the shoulder's range of mobility can trigger a muscle reflex to stop the movement, which can cause the print to slip. Rolling away from the edge of our range of motion reduces the chance of a slip. When rolling the prints, start from the outside edge of the thumb (near the rearward limit of the shoulder rotation) and roll it inward - and the inside edge of the fingers (turning the shoulder towards it's forward limit) rolling them outward.

BigWaylon, feel free to add this to your guide, if you want.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Set your scanner to scan at 500 ppi. You want to import a completed card, then crop the image to exactly 8x8". At 500 ppi, it will be 4000x4000 pixels. I recommend you save as a PNG so there will be no distortion. JPEG tends to pixilate.

Open your saved image in MS Paint, and edit out everything you don't want to print onto the blank cards, so you should just leave the fingerprints and the data for the fields.

Now printing will be the hard part. You'll have to find the correct settings (and orientation) to get your printer to output 8x8" onto the blank card(s). Look for "Actual Size" as that's usually the option needed. You may have to experiment a little. You may find that you need to go back and reposition the whole image in MS Paint a little bit. If so, "select all" (Ctrl+A) and then drag it in the correct direction.

I recommend using a laser printer (as opposed to an inkjet printer).

Once you're all set, be sure to save that file in several locations.
View Quote
Question for you, I a trying to do this but a hung up. The areas on the lower left and right of the card where you do the hand slap, my prints are on top of the blue writing on the card. How did you get the blue writing out of the image so it just shows the prints?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone have any cheap source for these cards?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#38]
anyone have a cheap source
View Quote
ATF
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Question for you, I a trying to do this but a hung up. The areas on the lower left and right of the card where you do the hand slap, my prints are on top of the blue writing on the card. How did you get the blue writing out of the image so it just shows the prints?
View Quote
It would be best if you could scan a card which doesn't have any fingerprints overlapping the blue text.
If you can't readily do that, the next best way would be to replicate the slap on white paper (with your own ink) and edit the slap onto your scan in the correct location (not covering the text).
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It would be best if you could scan a card which doesn't have any fingerprints overlapping the blue text.
If you can't readily do that, the next best way would be to replicate the slap on white paper (with your own ink) and edit the slap onto your scan in the correct location (not covering the text).
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I will have to replicate it myself on a white piece of paper.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone have any cheap source for these cards?
View Quote
ATF cards are free and have the correct ORI number already printed. And it must be correct or NFA branch never get results back from the FBI and you’re screwed.
And they’re fast to ship.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top