User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@army75th

I'm in the Rocky Mount area (eastern NC). I can meet up if you're local or I can mail you some too. Just email or IM me if the others fall through.
View Quote
thanks, PM in bound
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

thanks, PM in bound
View Quote
Sent 4 cards your way this morning. Should have them by the middle of the week.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
@BigWaylon

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but it looks like your directions fail to say include a copy of your notarized trust document under the form 4 entity instructions.  It is still required to be included correct?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]
@BigWaylon

On the Nov 2018 form 4 instructions, it outlines the approved in last two years certification info for trusts. I'd be curious to see how folks suggest doing that on paper submissions. It's a bit more straightforward on efile.  I'd also be curious to know if they consider your revised schedule A being updated with new firearms a change that invalidates your use of the certification or if that is allowable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ve asked the ATF a couple times for a “form” (or at least a format) to use, and never had any luck.

A revised schedule shouldn’t make a difference. Although I’ve never sent them anything except the original schedule. They’re looking (or I assume they are) for changes in RPs and any other fundamental changes.

The times I’ve seen people discuss it, then simply include a letter that provides the information requested. I’ve found it just as easy to send a copy of the trust instead.
View Quote
I just send the same copy of the trust I have sent for every single form 1 or form 4 I have ever done with the same schedule that only has one thing on it. It's not worth the risk of it being declined doing otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The ATF responded to an email that I sent asking about the blue and black FD-258 cards.  They said they except either.
View Quote
So I got printed at my local LE agency today, but apparently I'm the first person who has ever asked them for print cards for ATF stuff before. They freely admitted they weren't sure they were doing it right, but were very nice about it. Used the AFIS machine and printed them electronically, no ink.

The card printed in black and all the boxes are the same, except that the ORI box has the ORI of the agency that printed me, and the Reason Fingerprinted box says "Personal Identification." Any reason I can't white that out and print what I need in the boxes? Line through it maybe so they can see what it said before?

I don't see this working with their ORI on there. Oh, and the clerk's User ID appears in the box for "Signature of Official Taking Fingerprints."

Thoughts?

ETA: I called NFA Branch this morning. Spoke to Melissa (no further name or id offered). I asked if I could correct the cards, and she told me they have a label for both the ORI box and the Reason Fingerprinted box. She went on to say that if it arrived wrong they would label over it and continue on. The way she said it led me to believe these might be the only two boxes that they would do this for, but I'm speculating. Poor gal sounded exhausted.

Bring on the cover letter!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Approved today. 16 days, despite the fact it took me 5 days after filing to get the fingerprints in the mail. Either they didn't look at my print cards very close, or they just don't care (more likely).

I got the reply email with cover letter within 15 minutes of filing. But on my phone it didn't show an attachment. After five days I looked at it again on my tablet and saw the cover letter, went "oh crap" and sent off the cards. Probably would have been more like 12 days had I noticed sooner. I was waiting for a letter they'd already sent.

Now to find an engraver...
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
http://i.imgur.com/VsMeaJ1.jpg

1. leave blank
2. sign
3. enter your address
4. enter date printed
5. sign
6. enter “Self” and your address again

7. enter reason; some examples from those with approved cards are “NFA”, “NFA Transfer” (for F4), “NFA Application” (for F1), “Form 1”, and “Form 4”
8. enter Last Name, First Name and Middle Name
9. enter aliases or leave blank
10. enter your Citizenship (U.S. is proper format based on FBI guide)
11. leave blank
12. leave blank
13. leave blank
14. enter your SSN, (optional)
15. leave blank
16. should have the NFA ORI stamped
17. leave blank
18. enter your date of birth, in MM DD YYYY format
19. enter your sex (M/F...or see list in FBI guide below)
20. enter your race (see list in FBI guide below if needed)
21. enter height in feet and inches (format info in FBI guide below)
22. enter weight in pounds
23. enter eye color (see list in FBI guide below)
24. enter hair color (see list in FBI guide below)
25. enter place of birth (state, territory, province or country)
26. leave blank
27. provide prints…roll the individual prints in rows 1-2 and press the ones in the 3rd row, as seen below
View Quote
so when rolling my own prints, do I essentially become the "official taking prints"? I'm sorry if that is a stupid question, I'm very new to the NFA world. Trying to get a full understanding of it before I go on sending in my F4.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep. Notice there’s nowhere to print your name/title/department/etc? Just sign your name. There’s no qualification/certification required.
View Quote
Okay cool. Man, they dont make this application process very easy.. haha
I'm sure it becomes a breeze after doing it a few times, but the first time around, I feel like I'm questioning everything I'm doing as if I did it wrong
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the current ORI? My fingerprint cards are blank. My Form 1’s have a send to address in Portland OR. and the example fingerprint cards I’ve seen online list the ORI as in WV.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is the current ORI? My fingerprint cards are blank. My Form 1’s have a send to address in Portland OR. and the example fingerprint cards I’ve seen online list the ORI as in WV.
View Quote
@JDJHNTR

This is the card ATF send me a while back, it's the current revision.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Question,

The example shown on first page of the print card with prints, is that a good example of what the GOV is accepting for self rolled prints? My biggest fear with doing prints myself is them rejecting them. I keep practicing but none ever seem to be perfect for what I would think they would want.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Question,

The example shown on first page of the print card with prints, is that a good example of what the GOV is accepting for self rolled prints? My biggest fear with doing prints myself is them rejecting them. I keep practicing but none ever seem to be perfect for what I would think they would want.
View Quote
Some of the cards I have sent in were terrible. They have accepted every card I have sent in.

I don't know of a single person that has had their application rejected for bad prints.

I would send them in and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Some of the cards I have sent in were terrible. They have accepted every card I have sent in.

I don't know of a single person that has had their application rejected for bad prints.

I would send them in and not worry about it.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up. I don't really get the set of prints every time you file if they recently received them. I have two cans in NFA jail right now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks guys. Here is where I probably messed up the only cards I had. I filled them out today and rolled my own. Since I rolled my own, I signed my name in block 20 and in block 21 it asked for “subjects” employer and address so I put in my actual work address! Think they’ll kick em back?
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks. In the mail they went. Now we wait..........again!
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Just wondering what do you write in the finger print box if a finger is missing? AMP? Missing?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sure I missed it but on the Responsible Persons what do I put for title?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How to scan/print to FD-258
View Quote
I just want to say thanks to @grn_zx6r for the tutorial.

It worked like a champ!

I did make a few changes that made it easier to me.

Once I open the pdf form I ctrl+A>copy>ctrl+N>paste into a new window so I have a background layer, FD layer, then I paste in my entire form with everything filed out except the date.

Doing it this way, I can align everything like I want it, then just "hide" the FD layer, and print it out.

This way it prints out the entire form, signatures and all, and I only have to date it and mail it. This is a huge deal when you consider my wife is on my trust and now I never have to get her to fill out or fingerprint anything again!

Regardless, thanks so much for the tutorial!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#28]
@BigWaylon or anyone else that may know:

If we have cards where the ORI box is blank, can we write-in the ORI information?

And does it HAVE to be cards from the ATF?

I have a stack of "equivalent to FD-258" cards printed by a 3rd party.

They are exactly like FD-258 cards as far as layout, size, and paper.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If we have cards where the ORI box is blank, can we write-in the ORI information?

View Quote
I would just order some new ones from the ATF. They're free and only take a week or so. It's just not worth the risk if you ask me.

Alternatively, you can just call the ATF and ask them directly.

But give how long it takes to get approvals, I would just order 30 of the free cards and wait for them to get here before I filed anything.

If it's so urgent to get the cards sent out asap, I would still call first to make sure they're okay to use.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would just order some new ones from the ATF. They're free and only take a week or so. It's just not worth the risk if you ask me.

But give how long it takes to get approvals, I would just order 30 of the free cards and wait for them to get here before I filed anything.

If it's so urgent to get the cards sent out asap, I would still call first to make sure they're okay to use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have some ordered....ordered a few days before I submitted my F1.
It wasn't until I got my email with the cover sheet did I find out about having to send prints off within 10 days. So I found FD-258 cards on Amazon that could be delivered the next day. And it wasn't until I opened the package to find out they are FD-258s printed by a 3rd party
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm submitting 6 form 4 packages in one envelope and have a question on the number of fingerprint cards. I've heard 2 cards per envelope with multiple form 4s in it, to 2 cards per package, which would be 12 cards.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you. I did confirm it with the ATF, two fingerprint cards per envelope with multiple forms in it. Sending off six Monday, five suppressors and a SIG 522 COMMANDO SWAT
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Does the RPQ copy need to go to CLEO still? Looks like the Form 4 and RPQ were revised Sept 2019 and won't populate or is even fillable on that copy, or is it me?
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

RPQ still goes to CLEO.

If you’re trying to fill it in using a browser window, stop. Save the file and open it in Adobe. It should work hem, even in just the free Reader program.
View Quote
Done that. I also have Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Pro

Using this form.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/national-firearms-act-nfa-responsible-person-questionnaire-532023/download

ETA: Works now. They must have been updating it at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#38]
2 part question here concering the 5320.20 for an permanent intrastate move...

What would the proper date range be for box 3?

If I keep things the way they are and choose not to send the 5320.20, will this cause any problems with future F1/F4 submissions?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
1. Depends. If you’re doing it before the move, give yourself plenty of time to get it back at the original address. If you’re doing it afterwards, it really doesn’t matter. They accept up to a full year (any start/end as long as the end date is one calendar day prior the following year).

2. F1, not at all. F4, only possibly if you’re using one to transfer the item in question...if wouldn’t affect any future F4s for new items. It could also affect future 5320.20s for the item in question if the From address doesn’t match the registry. Those situations are easily explainable if a problem arises.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 part question here concering the 5320.20 for an permanent intrastate move...

1. What would the proper date range be for box 3?

2. If I keep things the way they are and choose not to send the 5320.20, will this cause any problems with future F1/F4 submissions?
1. Depends. If you’re doing it before the move, give yourself plenty of time to get it back at the original address. If you’re doing it afterwards, it really doesn’t matter. They accept up to a full year (any start/end as long as the end date is one calendar day prior the following year).

2. F1, not at all. F4, only possibly if you’re using one to transfer the item in question...if wouldn’t affect any future F4s for new items. It could also affect future 5320.20s for the item in question if the From address doesn’t match the registry. Those situations are easily explainable if a problem arises.
Roger that sir...thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Just as a heads up since i didnt see it mentioned. The form 4 (5320.4) was updated in Sept and looks like it is a little longer then the instructions in this thread. Just a few more alien questions so the 18a- 20 questions are different and the  RP stuff signing part after it looks different. No biggie but i thought id mention it.
Thanks for doing this. The can i want is backordered from SiCo but i found another place with it cheaper so ill have to do this leg work myself rather than the easy Si Co route.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#43]
@BigWaylon

Are these good enough or do I need more pad?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I will not be held responsible for this answer...

...but if those were mine, I’d send them without a second thought.
View Quote
Completely understand, I should've put a disclaimer on there that it's my responsibility.

Thanks for the opinion...
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
I've printed my own for the last 5 stamps I've sent off. They look worse than yours. I also think you'll be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to send them off.

Just to make sure you're aware, you have to send two cards. So assuming the other card is of equal quality I think you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've printed my own for the last 5 stamps I've sent off. They look worse than yours. I also think you'll be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to send them off.

Just to make sure you're aware, you have to send two cards. So assuming the other card is of equal quality I think you'll be fine.
View Quote
@drfroglegs

Thanks for additional feedback plus the reminder of two cards.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm about to submit 2 more form 4's on a trust that's previously been used to submit 2 others.  Couple questions.

1) I've moved (in-state, just down the road a bit) since the trust was formed, anything in particular I need to do for that reason?  I never sent in a letter or form for the move, as my understanding was this is not required for an in-state move.  I don't even remember if my trust has my address as part of it, and I don't have it in front of me right now, but I supposed I may need to call the lawyer about updating that.

2) My understanding from this thread is that you don't need to update the schedule of assets with previously transferred/made items, or even submit that schedule with the trust at all?  If I don't update or submit a schedule at all, will that raise questions? I.e. will/can they look back and see that I've had two previous transfers and they don't see that reflected on the trust?

If anyone in the Virginia Beach area sees this and has an opinion on the matter, do you think it's better to submit the notification to VBPD (he's known as something of an anti) or the state police (in event of future bans, giving the staties this information directly just feels like making it easy for them, not that I believe the locals will necessarily protect that info)
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm about to submit 2 more form 4's on a trust that's previously been used to submit 2 others.  Couple questions.

1) I've moved (in-state, just down the road a bit) since the trust was formed, anything in particular I need to do for that reason?  I never sent in a letter or form for the move, as my understanding was this is not required for an in-state move.  I don't even remember if my trust has my address as part of it, and I don't have it in front of me right now, but I supposed I may need to call the lawyer about updating that.

You only have to inform them if you're moving across state lines and it's only form 1 items (suppressors don't matter at all) . You're good.

2) My understanding from this thread is that you don't need to update the schedule of assets with previously transferred/made items, or even submit that schedule with the trust at all?  If I don't update or submit a schedule at all, will that raise questions? I.e. will/can they look back and see that I've had two previous transfers and they don't see that reflected on the trust?

You don't have to update your schedules with them. I've sent in the same digital copy of my trust for all ~12 something form 4/1s and have never updated it.

If anyone in the Virginia Beach area sees this and has an opinion on the matter, do you think it's better to submit the notification to VBPD (he's known as something of an anti) or the state police (in event of future bans, giving the staties this information directly just feels like making it easy for them, not that I believe the locals will necessarily protect that info)

Don't matter who you submit it to now, you don't have to get their approval, only have to inform them.
View Quote
@Klaustrophobia
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks.

I know I don't need their approval, I was just curious if anyone knew if one or the other was "better" for the sake of being supportive of rights.  I'd rather 'notify' the one who is more likely to file it in the shredder than add it to a database.  If such a difference exists.  Know what I mean?

ETA the form 1 only thing... really?  Is that just for permanent moves?  I have a class I'm going to take with a form 4 firearm across state lines, I've always been told I need to request the permission slip first.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top